RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Considering prepaid Maintenance service

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 02:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
Went in today and requested cancellation of both the prepaid maintenance and Extra Care extended warranty. The finance manager seemed pissed. But he acted professionally and obliged my request. The money will be credited to my loan in 6 weeks. Now I’m thinking, what about the interest on that amount? Will that also be credited beck to me or just the principle amount for both the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty?

another question, by canceling the extra care extended maintenance, my factory warranty of 4 year 50k miles still intact correct?
No impact on your factory warranty. My guess is they will make a one time credit against the principal balance of your loan. Pissed?? Of course he is. Commission flushed down the toilet.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (07-03-21), stlgrym3 (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 04:09 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Went in today and requested cancellation of both the prepaid maintenance and Extra Care extended warranty. The finance manager seemed pissed. But he acted professionally and obliged my request. The money will be credited to my loan in 6 weeks. Now I’m thinking, what about the interest on that amount? Will that also be credited beck to me or just the principle amount for both the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty?

another question, by canceling the extra care extended maintenance, my factory warranty of 4 year 50k miles still intact correct?
There is no interest due to you as this is nothing more than a refund/credit of a product/service purchased.
Old 07-03-21, 03:50 AM
053xr
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The money will be credited to my loan in 6 weeks.
Keep an eye on that… suspiciously long… 20 years ago I remember going through a similar process with a local Toyota dealership and the finance guy just kept brushing me off until i escalated to the general manger - the money were refunded in less than 1 week.
Old 08-25-21, 04:07 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

update on this, it's been almost 2 months since i requested to cancel the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty through dealer's finance advisor, the refund still hasn't been credited to my auto loan, at the time of the request (July 2nd, I was told 6th week wait). Couple weeks ago, I even received the extended warranty package, so I gave them a call and spoke to the same finance guy, he said the request was already submitted on his end, and he will check for me and call me back next day. You guessed it, no call from him since that conversation. So i called today and of course he's off today, so I spoke with another finance advisor, he looked up the system and did not see any cancellation request been submitted under my name. He did mention this may be due to the cancellation was initiated by another guy, so he does not have permission to view my request. He did give me the phone number for Lexus financial to cancel them myself. Here are my questions:

1. The lien holder of my loan is Bank of America, not Lexus Financial. Does Lexus financial handle all maintenance and service contracts even you don't finance with them?
2. Can customer call them directly to cancel these contracts? Or it has to go through dealer's finance dept?
Old 08-25-21, 04:10 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by 053xr
Keep an eye on that… suspiciously long… 20 years ago I remember going through a similar process with a local Toyota dealership and the finance guy just kept brushing me off until i escalated to the general manger - the money were refunded in less than 1 week.
I may have to do that if I don't hear back from them by end of this week.
Old 08-25-21, 04:36 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Finance manager of the dealer just responded to my request, sure enough the finance guy I requested the cancellation with never submitted it. The manager just submitted my request.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-26-21)
Old 11-04-22, 12:08 PM
ATC1971
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Cost

Hi, I just purchased a RX 350 2022. The dealership wants to sell me the maintenance package for $1000 for 4 years. What have you found to be your basic maintenance cost? Would this be worth it based on your experience?
Old 11-04-22, 12:34 PM
Marty2020
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi ATC1971,

As my southern friends would say, "that dog don't hunt". I have a 2020 RX350 that we've had for 2 years and it has 20,000 miles on it. So far I've spent $190.97 for maintenance done by the dealer (1 oil/filter change and 2 tire rotations). I also spent $81.19 for all 3 wiper blades and a cabin air filter (ordered thru ebay from Lexus dealers in AZ), all you which you can put on in literally minutes. Of course my 2 free services also helped minimize the early cost of maintenance.

As someone said in another conversation, the key is telling you service manager what to do (i.e., just change the oil, rotate the tires and give me my free inspection). If, on the other hand, you were to just say "do the 20,000 mile service" you will be out many hundreds of $. The 2 free services are, however, a good deal (primarily since they are free).

I'm sure that many folks on this forum will agree with me, and my approach.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited by Marty2020; 11-04-22 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ATC1971 (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 12:37 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

It depends if you go to the dealer for regular service and the miles you drive per year.

I have a 2020 that I bought new and have done all of the maintenance myself. With a Lexus it is just fluids and filters for the most part depending upon mileage per year. Tire rotations too.
I am at 49,000 miles and coming up on 3 years in Feb.
The cost to me with my free labor is maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I also know that the job was actually done and done correctly.

Lexus dealer will get you $150 - $250 for each of the recommended services but that is dealer prices for basic oil change, some filters, and maybe rear diff and transfer case fluid change (which I doubt that they would even do).

If you prefer to not work on your car and want Lexus to do the work then you will pay for it. Some people take their vehicles to Toyota dealerships to save a little. Again, depends on mileage too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quantum501:
ATC1971 (11-04-22), coolbrazz (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 01:05 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

My 2019 has 23k mi on it. My local mechanic does my oil changes and rotates the tires for far less money than what the dealer would want. We’ve been back to the dealer once in 3 yrs for a recall and thats it. In my case it would be a waste of money.
Old 11-04-22, 01:21 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

No chance I would buy that based on the reasons outlined above. I would even read the fine print on that package closely. I bet there are mileage limits and things on that package that they won't even cover. As I recall, when I have seen maintenance packages like that, they include specific milage limits for each price point.

Whenever I hear "The dealer wants to sell me..." I grab for my wallet. In fact, the dealer would never get past that part of his sentence before I would stop him.
Old 11-04-22, 02:12 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 135 Posts

$1000 for (4) yrs of oil changes & basic maintenance every time your service light comes on equals to $250 a year. If I'm understanding this correctly and my math is right I say this depends on how many miles you drive a year vs your time in doing it yourself, and don't forget about the (2) free ones you get. I didn't purchase it on my 2020 which only has 18k miles on it.
Old 11-20-22, 10:23 AM
maraynman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thing I would check is the maintenance record for the pre-owned car. Personally, I did since the previous owner only seemed to do the first oil change and the one when they returned the car at the end of the lease. I also agree that reading the fine print on what is not covered makes a big difference. Last point is that Lexus does have to approve their agreements and if the dealer is not diligent in filing the paperwork, you can get the Lexus rejection letter that the request was not approved.
Old 11-21-22, 03:39 PM
zajacjoe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worth Purchasing Service Plan for RX350L?

Hi
New owner of a 2018 RX350L with 35,000 miles.
Purchased pre-owned at a Honda dealer.

I was offered a service plan that covers bumper to bumper for 6 years or an additional 72,000 miles for $3,000
It does not cover any recommended service intervals or any items that wear out like filters brakes, etc.

The service can be performed at any ASE certified location including any Lexus dealership.

I plan to keep the car at least this long.

Would you buy this coverage?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by zajacjoe; 11-21-22 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-21-22, 05:20 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by zajacjoe
I was offered a service plan that covers bumper to bumper for 6 years or an additional 72,000 miles for $3,000
It does not cover any recommended service intervals or any items that wear out like filters brakes, etc.
I wouldn't spend $3K for that service plan.

It's simple for me. For any of my old and current vehicles, I didn't spend any where near $3K repair cost from 35K to 100K.

Quick Reply: Considering prepaid Maintenance service