RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2018 RX-any info/minor changes/updates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 09:53 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Are you referring to the 5 seater 2018 or 7 seater 2018? The 5 seater will be the same as 2017. I don't think any car comes with full size spare anymore; for USA/Canada market.
There are a few full size spares still available on sedans and a few more SUV style vehicles.
The full size spare is important to me. I don't mind if a compact spare or repair kit is standard with the vehicle as long as there is room to carry a full sized flat. (I'll just buy a full sized spare and throw away the compact).

I consider repair kits or compact spares to be extremely dangerous because they come with range and speed limits.
Try driving 50 MPH on I=15 between Barstow and Las Vegas.

Besides that there is no place to carry a full sized flat if your trunk is already full of luggage.
Old 10-30-17, 09:58 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
Automatic AWD is triggered to engage when a front wheel or wheels begin to turn faster
than the rears. The "3000 mile use" temporary spare is narrower but is the same circumference
as the normal road wheels so it rotates at the same speed as the remaining three so as to not
engage the AWD. A full size will fit (the law requires that the flat tire be safely stowed and
secured after mounting the spare) but raises the floor board a couple of inches.

Along with the new 10 year Safety / Service Connect trial, Lexus lowered the cost of the
renewals on all 2010 - 2017's to $80/year from $160 previously. The two optional services,
Lexus Enform Remote and Destination Assistance were also reduced to $80/year each.
Result is that an earlier car now can have Remote Start for $80 + $80 = $160/year instead
of the previous $250. If you want the live operator Destination Assist also as in the original
trial period it is $80 + $80 + $80 = $240/year instead of the $350/year charged before.

2018's with the 10 year SC trial will pay just $80/year for the Remote Start/Vehicle Finder/
Guest Driver tracking/Status Monitor features.
Yes the rear floor on my 2010 is raised by about 4 inches with the full sized flat in place. And the flooring is cantilevered such that there is a concern of placing weight above the full sized spare.
In summary, with the full sized flat in the compact spare compartment, you might have to leave your luggage on the side of the road or find some way to tie it on the roof.
Old 10-30-17, 10:03 AM
fluke
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was anyone else disappointed that Lexus did not reveal the 3rd row version at the Tokyo Auto Show? I was expecting them to, since i've seen pictures of them under wrapped camouflage floating around the internet. Wonder when they will reveal them???
Old 10-30-17, 10:11 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Originally Posted by KD3DJN
The dealerships I have spoken to are mirroring more than a bit of frustration about this as well. I don't know about other places but all three dealerships I talked to have pretty much met with radio silence from Lexus on the 2018s. They have a few more shipments of 2017's coming in but said Lexus isn't taking custom orders anymore and at the same time has not provided any ordering catalogs or literature pertaining to 2018.

The places I talked to are beginning to run low on inventory except for common configurations and are wondering why everything else on their lot is 2018 except for their highest volume vehicle.
I'm all set to buy a 2018 but the uncertainty puts me off.
I'd really prefer to get a new RX and not break my streak since 1998.

The 2010 RX was a bit disappointing in interior design and the compact spare. I've a list of about 20 interior annoyances. Example: overhead buttons are smoothed into the overhead destroying tactile feel. I have to actually look at the buttons most of the time to find the garage door opener. And if not fully closed, the door storage area has a corner that grabs my pants cuff when getting out of the car. Stuff like that.

I'm hoping the 2018 grille design, compact spare, and nanny features won't send me to a different brand.
Old 10-30-17, 04:27 PM
KD3DJN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoke with my local dealership in Brookfield, WI today and they are saying they have been notified by Lexus that 2018 build will begin in December and that they will begin taking orders in November. This was during a follow up conversation when I told them I was willing to upgrade to a 2017 RX 450h F-Sport if they could find one. They said they had some still in the area but all were in reserved status at the moment.

Other than the change in the Enform subscription rate, they still have heard nothing in terms of changes cosmetic, under the hood, or in the interior (other than the 3rd row obviously).

So now again I go back to the debate between hunting down something now that meets my exact needs or waiting and ordering exactly what I want.
Old 10-30-17, 05:10 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by KD3DJN
Spoke with my local dealership in Brookfield, WI today and they are saying they have been notified by Lexus that 2018 build will begin in December and that they will begin taking orders in November. This was during a follow up conversation when I told them I was willing to upgrade to a 2017 RX 450h F-Sport if they could find one. They said they had some still in the area but all were in reserved status at the moment.

Other than the change in the Enform subscription rate, they still have heard nothing in terms of changes cosmetic, under the hood, or in the interior (other than the 3rd row obviously).

So now again I go back to the debate between hunting down something now that meets my exact needs or waiting and ordering exactly what I want.
In July when I bought mine, dealer told me 18s would be in stock earliest in December and I doubted that at the time.
Old 10-31-17, 06:42 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just bought new 2017 RX in September. I guess OK Lexus lowered remote start cost to $80/year but free is nice for ‘18.
Old 10-31-17, 06:45 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird
Just bought new 2017 RX in September. I guess OK Lexus lowered remote start cost to $80/year but free is nice for ‘18.

Nothing is free....

With all the new features, the same model will cost 2-3K$ more.
Old 10-31-17, 08:06 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the 2018 is overdue in its release. I know that I am waiting to place my order but have issue with a couple of things that need to be addressed. I would rather these be corrected before 2018 Job 1 is released.
1. That droning and hesitation issues.
2. The sunroof leaking problems (this should never happen, sunroofs have being built for a long time now).
Old 10-31-17, 08:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Nothing is free....

With all the new features, the same model will cost 2-3K$ more.
What new features?
Old 10-31-17, 08:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by goatee
Yes the 2018 is overdue in its release. I know that I am waiting to place my order but have issue with a couple of things that need to be addressed. I would rather these be corrected before 2018 Job 1 is released.
1. That droning and hesitation issues.
2. The sunroof leaking problems (this should never happen, sunroofs have being built for a long time now).
As long as sunroofs are manufactured, some will eventually leak. You're kidding yourself to think this way. That's like saying plumbing has been around for hundreds of years so no pipe should ever clog now.
Old 10-31-17, 10:09 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am saying that on a high end product such as a Lexus, that a simple thing like this should never occur. It's a manufacturing issue. I have had Fords, Nissans, Toyotas, Chevys, Pontiacs and even an Oldsmobile - all with sunroofs. None had leaking issues and none were considered premium or high end cars. That's all I am saying.
Old 10-31-17, 10:33 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
As long as sunroofs are manufactured, some will eventually leak. You're kidding yourself to think this way. That's like saying plumbing has been around for hundreds of years so no pipe should ever clog now.
Eventyally mb, but new cars with leaky sunroofs or windshields should be exceptionally rare, and speaks more to build quality than anything else.
Old 10-31-17, 11:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Eventyally mb, but new cars with leaky sunroofs or windshields should be exceptionally rare, and speaks more to build quality than anything else.
It can happen if you leave the roof open and pollen gets in there clogging the drain. That's not a build quality issue. Don't get a sunroof unless you accept the risk it may leak someday. I've had a few leak on higher end cars. I get that everyone expects nothing should go wrong with a Lexus or any luxury vehicle but that's just a poor expectation setting yourself up for disappointment. I had a friend whose brand new BMW (6 series I think) crap out on the drive home from the dealer.
Old 10-31-17, 11:30 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It can happen if you leave the roof open and pollen gets in there clogging the drain. That's not a build quality issue. Don't get a sunroof unless you accept the risk it may leak someday. I've had a few leak on higher end cars. I get that everyone expects nothing should go wrong with a Lexus or any luxury vehicle but that's just a poor expectation setting yourself up for disappointment. I had a friend whose brand new BMW (6 series I think) crap out on the drive home from the dealer.
no I absolutely agree with you that over time, sunroofs generally do prove to be problematic. But if a higher than normal percantage of a certain model of vehicle are developing sunroof leaks within the first year or two of their life, I don’t think that it can be purely attributed to environmental issues, and may be the result of build/design problems.

Quick Reply: 2018 RX-any info/minor changes/updates?