RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Glass Panoramic Roof Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 05:05 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy Glass Panoramic Roof Covers?

Is there a cover (external) that I can install on top of the roof? May be a third party manufacture? May be a leather or systematic cloth material? Any company out there who have something that I can use on the roof? I am sure this is not good for aerodynamics, but still...

I called insurance and none of the companies, including Lexus Extended Care and Warranty package includes glass on the panoramic roof. With zero deductible, my insurance only covers front and back windows. In fact, I even offed them extra money to cover it under my insurance. Nope! I hate the roof. Lexus Canada had no RX 350's with Executive package without the panoramic roof. So I had to buy one with it and I have no use for it.

Why am I paranoid? I live in Calgary, Canada and during Winter we have a lot of small rocks on the road. I could be wrong, but I think the City government actually spry the roads with rocks and salt mixture to create friction for driving in snow. All of our vehicles except one have glass damage. I had enough of these rock chips.
Old 12-22-17, 05:04 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

so you're looking for a tarp type thing, to leave on your panoramic roof, to drive around with, so you don't get rock chips on the top ??
guessing nothing is made for that application. just a hunch

could try a custom shop, to put a soft top on the vehicle, guessing you would be very unique with that mod.
Old 12-22-17, 05:19 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mssca
Is there a cover (external) that I can install on top of the roof? May be a third party manufacture? May be a leather or systematic cloth material? Any company out there who have something that I can use on the roof? I am sure this is not good for aerodynamics, but still...

I called insurance and none of the companies, including Lexus Extended Care and Warranty package includes glass on the panoramic roof. With zero deductible, my insurance only covers front and back windows. In fact, I even offed them extra money to cover it under my insurance. Nope! I hate the roof. Lexus Canada had no RX 350's with Executive package without the panoramic roof. So I had to buy one with it and I have no use for it.

Why am I paranoid? I live in Calgary, Canada and during Winter we have a lot of small rocks on the road. I could be wrong, but I think the City government actually spry the roads with rocks and salt mixture to create friction for driving in snow. All of our vehicles except one have glass damage. I had enough of these rock chips.
With all due respect sir/ms, if you were already aware of the damage to glass roofs in your area why would you then buy a vehicle with a glass roof? You say you "had to buy it"??
Old 12-22-17, 05:44 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The most durable clear bra film should work.
The following users liked this post:
mssca (12-22-17)
Old 12-22-17, 06:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Wonder what the paint looks like if the windows get this chipped.
Old 12-22-17, 08:50 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This should help. Talk to a PPF installer in your area. You can find one here.

-Jason

Originally Posted by elimmigran
The most durable clear bra film should work.
mssca (12-22-17)
Old 12-22-17, 11:46 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

How do rocks hit the panoramic roof??
Old 12-22-17, 12:31 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Canadian traffic eh...
Old 12-22-17, 02:11 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just take it to the tint shop and get the clear "bra" cut for the roof.
Some exotic car owners wrap the entire car with the stuff.

mssca (12-22-17)
Old 12-22-17, 05:19 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
With all due respect sir/ms, if you were already aware of the damage to glass roofs in your area why would you then buy a vehicle with a glass roof? You say you "had to buy it"??
High end (most feature added) Canadian version comes with Panoramic Glass roof. There is no option to take that out. I like the comfortable seats and powered back seats on the Executive model. So what I mean is that I had no options to opt out of the glass roof but still get the same features.

Originally Posted by Nail34
At 110 - 120 km/h rocks can hit the roof. I have experienced this on my Toyota Rav4. I hear metal roof being hit by rocks while driving at Deerfoot Trail. The same road, Deerfoot Trail, is famous for rock chips falling from overpasses. Google it and it was on the news for rock chips issues, etc.
ravenuer (12-23-17)
Old 12-22-17, 06:13 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Canada and have had many cars with glass moon roofs. Currently a BMW X5 with moon roof, Lexus RX with moon roof and a Jaguar F-Type where the whole roof is gkass. Never had any chips or cracks or ny type of scratches on any of them. The Jag is completely wrapped in 3M and the Lexus part of the hood and the front of the car. I'd be more worried about the front of the car than the roof.
mssca (12-23-17)
Old 12-22-17, 07:08 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya. I’ve had a Lincoln MKX with tbe glass roof for 6 years and never even came across any issue with the roof.
In Ontario, we use salt though.
mssca (12-23-17)
Old 12-23-17, 05:10 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
High end (most feature added) Canadian version comes with Panoramic Glass roof. There is no option to take that out. I like the comfortable seats and powered back seats on the Executive model. So what I mean is that I had no options to opt out of the glass roof but still get the same features.

At 110 - 120 km/h rocks can hit the roof. I have experienced this on my Toyota Rav4. I hear metal roof being hit by rocks while driving at Deerfoot Trail. The same road, Deerfoot Trail, is famous for rock chips falling from overpasses. Google it and it was on the news for rock chips issues, etc.
that sounds terrible, guessing there is no way to avoid that stretch i would hate to get any of my vehicles peppered like that with rocks.
the clear PPF film sounds like the best option for the glass, and the black area in front of it.
Old 12-23-17, 05:54 AM
mssca
Driver

Thank you everyone. This is the first time I am owning a vehicle that has a large glass roof. Good to hear that others in Canada had no issues with it. I know only one single person who had his wife's roof broken in Calgary due to a flying small rock from an overpass. Personally, I had never encounter this with small sunroofs either. But I decided to ask here in case there is an application I can put it on.

I will look into 3M applications.