RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 06:57 PM
othater
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the monitor rattle-squeak that I will try this for a fix.
My other rattle is the drivers door.
When pressure on the wood paneling portion it seems to go away.
Anyone have this issue and a fix.
Dealer didn't find either noise.
Thank you

Last edited by othater; 12-29-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-17-21, 05:58 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My wife's RX has been solid and rattle free for the one year. However since early on in the ownership and still today, we experience the odd squeaks in and around the center console and dash. This may help some folks who posted in this thread, or may not. However, you never know so let me explain the three sources of annoying squeaks in our RX and if it helps you, great!

1. Dash panel facing the 12.3" screen.
2. HVAC controls/trim underneath it.
3. Silver cup holders trim.

All you need is a prying tool and some felt tape (hockey tape). I'll let the pics do most of the talking

1. Dash Panel:

Then snap it back down!

2. HVAC squeak:
Tape folded in half along its length and to be inserted along the bottom.

This will reduce but not fully eliminate the squeaks when pushing the HVAC buttons.

3. Cup holders trim squeak:

Fold the tape three or four times along its length to thicken it and make it shallow enough to fit in the crevice.

No need to apply the tape all around since it is too tight at the top and bottom. You may require another prying tool to push in the tape while the other is jammed as per the pic above. It is sufficient to only apply the tape as shown along the red line below:

Silver trim will now feel tight and squeak free!

I just cured my very annoying dash panel rattle (your first picture) using only black electrician's tape along the front of the panel. I placed it as you did so it is not visible.
Old 04-19-21, 07:54 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

this thread is awesome. Thank you so much OP for posting these pictures. Ive ordered my dash trim set from amazon and tape and will do the same shortly.

Old 04-22-21, 07:41 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

just finished all my noise reduction. I did all the steps the OP suggested and even added some additional felt tape into the arrows below.

It made a SIGNIFICANT difference.

I also lined the arm rest with felt so its not so crunchy /creaky when you move it.

Now the RX finally sounds like a lexus. TOMB QUIET

Last edited by Badhobz; 04-22-21 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (04-22-21)
Old 04-22-21, 10:40 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

I also added some adhesive felt sheets from Michaels to dampen the noise of any loose items in these door pockets. Can’t believe Lexus just left it with bare plastics rattling anything you put in there

felt sheets below were 1.75 from michaels.

The following 3 users liked this post by Badhobz:
eddie420 (04-23-21), jollick (04-22-21), Lexspeed (02-18-22)
Old 04-23-21, 07:28 PM
eddie420

Received 630 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
Can’t believe Lexus just left it with bare plastics rattling anything you put in there
My opinion is that although the felt is a nice touch, I typically put drinks there and I would hate to clean up spills on an adhesive lined felt.
Old 04-23-21, 10:31 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Does nobody drive with the radio on lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by WIZARD1325:
GSFRX350 (04-24-21), mckdaddy (04-26-21)
Old 04-24-21, 05:04 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
My opinion is that although the felt is a nice touch, I typically put drinks there and I would hate to clean up spills on an adhesive lined felt.
I hear ya. We typically only put junk or water bottles in those door pockets. All hot delicious drinks goes in the central console which in hindsight seem more like a bad idea if anything spills.

plus at $1.75, they are cheap to replace if ever it comes to that.

Last edited by Badhobz; 04-24-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 06:09 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

so stuffing the piece next to the center console worked for a while but it wasn't perfect. Still a little squeak and creak occasionally when you touch it when your knee. I was inspired by Wizard taking apart his center console and low and behold, these pieces just come right off.

1) open center arm rest fully.
2) start pulling UP from the middle of the center armrest leather piece and it'll pop out. Then gently pry the rest off. takes literally minutes and no tools needed.
3) TAPE EVERYTHING.
4) rinse and repeat for the driver side if you are experiencing squeaks/creaks.

Now this piece feels as solid as a rock. you can touch it, bash it, all you want, and its dead quiet
Old 04-27-21, 01:03 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

so stuffing the piece next to the center console worked for a while but it wasn't perfect. Still a little squeak and creak occasionally when you touch it when your knee. I was inspired by Wizard taking apart his center console and low and behold, these pieces just come right off.
Curious, where's you RX made?
Old 04-27-21, 07:50 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Canada, like most North American Rxs
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (04-27-21)
Old 04-30-21, 10:12 AM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 chasing dash rattles, guidance needed.

I've had our 2016 rx 350 in the dealer for a few rattle already, headliner around the sunroof was a big one, and they more or less may have solved that one. But the dash rattles they claimed they could not replicate, typical dealer responses, or they claim to have fixed it but it's back. Anyways the car is now out of the factory warranty (4 yr/50k) and all I have left is the CPO warranty till 2022. That doesn't seem to cover rattles, just power train items.

So I'm not trying to pay a tech $100/hr to chase some rattles with the possibility of getting the car back with the rattles not being resolved. I figured I could give it a shot since I believe I've isolated the rattles to either the NAV screen or the front windshield vent.

My question is, is there a guide how to remove those or photos showing how they're attached. I'm assuming a pry tool kit is enough and these parts are just snapped in place. With the nav screen there looks to be a small over on the base of the dash that looks like it can pop off.

Any help would be appreciated. Hoping to see more DIY threads on here now that the cars are out of warranty for many folks. Thank you in advance for any info.

Old 04-30-21, 10:14 AM
robertw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone removed the windshield vent? I believe a rattle I'm hearing could be coming from there.
Old 04-30-21, 12:02 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-squeaks.html
Old 04-30-21, 09:21 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

1) open center arm rest fully.
2) start pulling UP from the middle of the center armrest leather piece and it'll pop out. Then gently pry the rest off. takes literally minutes and no tools needed.
3) TAPE EVERYTHING.
4) rinse and repeat for the driver side if you are experiencing squeaks/creaks.

Now this piece feels as solid as a rock. you can touch it, bash it, all you want, and its dead quiet
I inspired someone =0) means so much to me bro! Wait till you see my video on how to take apart the entire center console

Quick Reply: DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks