RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21 | 09:42 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

So i solved the armrest creaking too. I tried almost everything, but the one that really worked, in the end, was to open the armrest and put felt tape on those 2 big plastic wheels close to the end. try it! it REALLY WORKS. I didn't have time to take a picture of the work but reference below

Old 05-02-21 | 01:03 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Badhobz
So i solved the armrest creaking too. I tried almost everything, but the one that really worked, in the end, was to open the armrest and put felt tape on those 2 big plastic wheels close to the end. try it! it REALLY WORKS. I didn't have time to take a picture of the work but reference below
Wow, those RX's over there must really be poorly built, I've never had issues with all those centre console creaks only in front of the Sat Nav display.
Old 05-02-21 | 07:03 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

it might just be me, im a bit OCD when it comes to creaks and rattles. Speaking of which, i took out a few more pieces of the center console this morning and lined them with felt. The silver trim and the trim behind the navigation are now isolated and quiet. For the guy asking about the noise behind the nav, try that plastic piece first.

Old 05-02-21 | 01:48 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

where on that hinge do you put the felt tape? on the inside, outside or fronts?
Thanks for this doing it to mine as well as we speak
Old 05-02-21 | 02:46 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

how you do inside the cup holders. feels like im going to break the silver rim
Old 05-02-21 | 04:31 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Like this. For your cup holders just need a very fine trim tool and push it into the sides.
Old 05-02-21 | 06:35 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

ok thanks ill work on it tomorrow

90% of sqeeks come from the wood trim with all the stuff on mine gotta figure something out tomorrow.
Old 05-12-21 | 07:53 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Default removing the plastic piece around the HUD

Does anyone know if the plastic piece around the HUD can be removed by just prying? so far it seems the rest of the trim are all removable by prying but I'm just a bit concerned if i pull too hard it'll break.
Got a minor buzzing sound coming from behind that plastic trim i want to address.
Old 07-14-21 | 04:10 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Does anyone know if the plastic piece around the HUD can be removed by just prying? so far it seems the rest of the trim are all removable by prying but I'm just a bit concerned if i pull too hard it'll break.
Got a minor buzzing sound coming from behind that plastic trim i want to address.
So I felt taped everything recommended by this thread but I kept having a rattle behind the nav screen, like you, I to didnt want to pry it cause I didnt know where the clips were and it seemed easy to break. But I got fed up with the rattles today and I removed it and it comes off easy. My rattle was actually extra foam that came unglued and was vibrating around which made a VERY annoying sound almost like a plastic bag held tight then flicked. But pry the middle backs till you feel the clips come undone, then two corners clips and then lift up both left/right sides straight upwards. Its connected on a insert channel on both sides so you have to remove it level or it wont come off. Look at the pics, youll have to pull up with some force cause theres two clips in the middle you cant unclip with a trim removal tool. Just gently pry where I put the red x's and it come off without anything breaking. I felt tapped EVERYTHING so it was a very tight fit when inserted back so just go slow and put even pressure everywhere gradually if you add as much as I did.

Now I have only one rattle left.. the top of the door panel where you would rest your elbow, but that is a quick fix and atm its not rattling, only seems to rattle during winter temps so I'll get to that one when it starts making noise again during winter lol. But as of right now, for the first time in roughly 3 years I AM RATTLE FREE AND CAN FINALLY ENJOY THE CAR!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by dannnn:
jollick (07-14-21), SoCalRX (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21 | 04:31 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dannnn
My rattle was actually extra foam that came unglued and was vibrating around which made a VERY annoying sound almost like a plastic bag held tight then flicked.

Now I have only one rattle left.. the top of the door panel where you would rest your elbow, but that is a quick fix and atm its not rattling, only seems to rattle during winter temps so I'll get to that one when it starts making noise again during winter lol. But as of right now, for the first time in roughly 3 years I AM RATTLE FREE AND CAN FINALLY ENJOY THE CAR!!!
Lexus quality at its finest! Glad you solved it. My dealership would never take the time to find your issues.
Old 07-14-21 | 04:58 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Lexus quality at its finest! Glad you solved it. My dealership would never take the time to find your issues.
I've been requesting every time I go in for service for them to look at the door and dash rattles and they always just state "cannot reproduce rattle". I looked at my dashcam's video (dash cam looks oem so they didnt they were recorded) during their test drive, and they clearly heard it and the tech riding in the passenger seat says wow thats annoying and slaps the dash lol... Like I've done the same things like slapping the dash, punched the door, but to tell me they couldnt reproduce the noise on the test drive is pretty darn shady. I have a loose vent also and i couldnt believe they told me the ac vent wasn't loose when it flops up and down when accelerating/braking haha. After a couple years I decided to start ripping the car apart myself and I havent been happier! But yea no more lexus for me, every car from here on out is gonna be a tesla.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21 | 05:03 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I've been requesting every time I go in for service for them to look at the door and dash rattles and they always just state "cannot reproduce rattle". I looked at my dashcam's video (dash cam looks oem so they didnt they were recorded) during their test drive, and they clearly heard it and the tech riding in the passenger seat says wow thats annoying and slaps the dash lol... Like I've done the same things like slapping the dash, punched the door, but to tell me they couldnt reproduce the noise on the test drive is pretty darn shady. I have a loose vent also and i couldnt believe they told me the ac vent wasn't loose when it flops up and down when accelerating/braking haha. After a couple years I decided to start ripping the car apart myself and I havent been happier! But yea no more lexus for me, every car from here on out is gonna be a tesla.
I ALWAYS go with a tech on a drive to show them exactly what I mean, they can't say they didn't hear it than.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
dannnn (07-14-21), Lexspeed (02-18-22)
Old 07-14-21 | 09:32 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I ALWAYS go with a tech on a drive to show them exactly what I mean, they can't say they didn't hear it than.
They wouldnt let me due to "covid" ):<
Old 07-14-21 | 09:55 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

They wouldnt let me due to "covid" ):<
Jerks........they are in your car that you have touched, breathed in, whatever.
The following users liked this post:
dannnn (07-15-21)
Old 07-26-21 | 10:47 AM
G6612
Rookie

Default Buzz/rattle in console!!!

I have a 2021 RX350 F Sport with about 3100 miles on the clock and I just picked up a buzz type rattle coming from the phone slot. (the slot right in front of the cup holders) While driving it will vibrate and buzz and it kind of drives me crazy as we all know these cars are extremely quiet and when something like this happens its like magnified. So anyone else have this issue and came up with a fix? When I put my fingers into the slot and push down the buzz stops so I at least believe that I narrowed it down to this correctly.

Quick Reply: DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks