RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Replacing wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16 | 07:34 PM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing wiper blades?

I know this question is just one level less stupid than "how do I change my headlight fluid", but how do you change the wiper insert/blades on the '16 RX350? They seem to be a different style than the Toyota/Lexus blades I'm used to (i.e. on my '06 IS250 and '12 Highlander). Also, you can't actually lift the front ones off the windshield and leave them up, they would hit the hood. Usually lifting the blades off the windshield is step one in my exterior detailing routine. The rear one can't even be seen without kneeling and looking up towards the rear spoiler.

Popular Reply

03-01-21, 11:10 PM
ViktorG
Driver

Default 2016+ RX350 wiper refill replacement instructions

Hi guys, I am a Lexus Master Tech and I am working on a series of maintenance and repair videos that will cover the latest gen RX350.
Here is my fist video on how to replace the wiper refills.
Please hit me up with ideas/suggestions on what other stuff you would like to see in the future.
Thanks!

Old 09-17-16 | 01:51 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure how to change the blades, but to lift them off you need to put them into the service/winter mode. Manually push them up until they click into the service/winter position.
Old 09-17-16 | 03:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I like to lift and clean the wiper blades when doing a wash. Now it takes an extra step. Within 30 seconds of turning off the RX, move the wiper stalk to the mist position. The wiper blades come out and sit vertically on the windshield. Then they can be safely lifted up. To get to the rear wiper with the RX on, turn the rear wiper on but turn off the RX before it moves back under the spoiler. That I don't mind as much since it's protected from the elements. New RX, new routines.
Old 09-19-16 | 05:07 PM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for the quick replies. I am a little weary on manually moving anything with these cars, the last time I manually moved something I broke the air recirculation servo arm on my IS250 while attempting to change the cabin air filter...5 minute job turned into 4 hour dash disassembly to fix it. kitlz you are spot on with your recommendation for the front wipers as I found the same info in the owner's manual over the weekend (RTFM!) which was a pleasant surprise, didn't expect that info to be covered in there. As far as the rear one I think your suggestion is probably the easiest way to access it, there may be an exposed nut to take the entire wiper arm off that could be accessed with a closed end box wrench but that seems like overkill to change an insert. Also the manual recommends having the rear one serviced by the dealer :-/

Last edited by domnf15; 09-19-16 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 09-20-16 | 11:04 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by domnf15
Thank you both for the quick replies. I am a little weary on manually moving anything with these cars, the last time I manually moved something I broke the air recirculation servo arm on my IS250 while attempting to change the cabin air filter...5 minute job turned into 4 hour dash disassembly to fix it. kitlz you are spot on with your recommendation for the front wipers as I found the same info in the owner's manual over the weekend (RTFM!) which was a pleasant surprise, didn't expect that info to be covered in there. As far as the rear one I think your suggestion is probably the easiest way to access it, there may be an exposed nut to take the entire wiper arm off that could be accessed with a closed end box wrench but that seems like overkill to change an insert. Also the manual recommends having the rear one serviced by the dealer :-/
I went to the dealer recently. The service tech did push the wiper up manually. A different dealership pulled the rear arm down to service it as well. *shakes head*
Old 12-13-16 | 09:47 AM
Presitla99
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear wiper insert replacement

The rear wipers on my 2016 RX 350 retract beneath the rear spoiler and are inaccessible. The user manual says it's a dealer service item. Hard to believe. Can't do it myself. Does anyone know how?
Old 12-13-16 | 10:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Have you tried turning on the rear wiper and turning off the RX before it sweeps back under the spoiler? That should give you access. It's how I used to do it on my '10 that also had the wiper retract under the spoiler.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (12-26-16)
Old 12-25-16 | 07:31 PM
Presitla99
Driver School Candidate

That worked thanks. I did not think something that simple would work, especially when putting the front wipers in "maintenance mode" is necessary to change the inserts.
Old 03-30-17 | 04:13 PM
Lsport
Driver School Candidate

Default Bosch Wiper Blades

Anyone tried the Bosch icon wiper blades? As per bosch fitment guide we need the 21OE and 26OE blades, does these fit good and comes with the correct attachments?
Old 03-31-17 | 12:06 PM
HenryNYC
Driver

I tried it in previous car and they are not too good IMO. I prefer and recommend MICHELIN® Stealth. Currently have a set on a CT200h and they have been great.When the RX blades are done. I'm switching for these as well.

Last edited by HenryNYC; 03-31-17 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-31-17 | 01:27 PM
kalvink
Driver

I too were not impressed with them on a previous car. I had issues with wind noises last time I swapped out a set of factory wipers so now I just replace the wiper blade insert with OEM inserts, instead of the whole wiper blade.
Old 01-23-18 | 07:23 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Default How to replace wiper blades?

I have a 2016 RX 350, and decided to refill the front wiper blades, rather than buy entire blades. I have the refills, but I can't figure out how to "open" the blade to extract the old rubber refill and insert the new one. The ends of the rubber wiper are locked into plastic pieces that fit on the ends of the blade.
I can't find any guidance re how to remove these plastic pieces.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-18 | 08:20 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Arrow

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCalRX:
Endopax (10-25-19), greyguy (01-23-18), jollick (04-14-23)
Old 01-23-18 | 08:39 AM
greyguy
Driver School Candidate

Oh, dear! It's in the manual? Color me embarrassed.
Thanks very much!!
Old 01-23-18 | 11:05 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by greyguy
Oh, dear! It's in the manual? Color me embarrassed.
Thanks very much!!
Not to worry! My '17 manual is 752 pages long, so I'm sure there's lots of stuff I'll never find!

Quick Reply: Replacing wiper blades?