RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

One touch windows issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 06:07 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default One touch windows issue

On my 2017 RX 350, when I pull up the window switch (driver side) it won't go up automatically. When I press down, it won't go down automatically either. Just go up or down just a bit and stop.
All my other vehicles this feature works. Do I have to reset this or is there a setting I have to change?

When I go to my work I have to hold my ID tag to open the door for the parking lot and this is becoming an annoying issue. My old Toyota Camry had no problem at all.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 05:48 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I assume you have already done this - when you push down or pull up - i believe you need to push/pull enough so there is a slight click to activate the one-touch

i looked at the manual i could not find anything about a reset - but in my other (older cars) you needed to pull up on the switch and hold. for a few seconds..... then push down on the switch and hold for a few seconds to reset the auto up/down feature.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 06:02 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
i looked at the manual i could not find anything about a reset - but in my other (older cars) you needed to pull up on the switch and hold. for
a few seconds..... then push down on the switch and hold for a few seconds to reset the auto up/down feature.
You didn't find that in the manual because that is not how the windows work in the RX. The switch, like my older cars is the same. There is a second detent in the switch to activate the auto up/down. Auto up: you pull up hard on the switch and you will feel the second click and it will automatically roll up. No need to hold it. Auto down: You push down hard and you feel the second click and it will automatically roll down. You just can push the switch until the window moves. You have to go to the second detent.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 06:15 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
You didn't find that in the manual because that is not how the windows work in the RX. The switch, like my older cars is the same. There is a second detent in the switch to activate the auto up/down. Auto up: you pull up hard on the switch and you will feel the second click and it will automatically roll up. No need to hold it. Auto down: You push down hard and you feel the second click and it will automatically roll down. You just can push the switch until the window moves. You have to go to the second detent.
i think we are saying the same thing..

the second statement was related to resetting the auto feature - like after disconnecting the battery...

I never disconnected the battery on my RX yet - so i have no idea if my suggestion was the correct way to reset the auto feature. i was only offering it as a possibility.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 06:32 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
I assume you have already done this - when you push down or pull up - i believe you need to push/pull enough so there is a slight click to activate the one-touch

i looked at the manual i could not find anything about a reset - but in my other (older cars) you needed to pull up on the switch and hold. for a few seconds..... then push down on the switch and hold for a few seconds to reset the auto up/down feature.
In my RX330 I had to reset a few times after battery replacement and procedure was very simply but It had to be done to each door individually. If I remember correctly I had to lower windows to the middle and than raise it up all the way and hold for like 4-5 seconds. There was similar reset for sunroof.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 08:42 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
On my 2017 RX 350, when I pull up the window switch (driver side) it won't go up automatically. When I press down, it won't go down automatically either. Just go up or down just a bit and stop.
All my other vehicles this feature works. Do I have to reset this or is there a setting I have to change?

When I go to my work I have to hold my ID tag to open the door for the parking lot and this is becoming an annoying issue. My old Toyota Camry had no problem at all.
I agree with others on here....I don't think you're pulling up or pushing down hard enough to activate the auto up/down feature. Either that or your drivers door switch is defective.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 01:55 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca

I suspect that yours is new too? I had the very same issue when I first purchased our 450h and my son was over perusing the new purchase when I was trying to jockey the windows automatically up and down. He said I was not pushing or pulling the buttons hard enough and that they were just like his Prius' window buttons. As others have mentioned there are two detents. I was expecting a much smoother action...being a Lexus.
mssca (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 04:47 PM
mssca
Driver

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to try this hard push down/pull up method and see if it works. I will post my finding here...
Old 01-24-18, 05:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Works the same way in most cars.
Old 01-24-18, 05:52 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Works the same way in most cars.
Yes, but ones I've owned have had less resistance and a smoother action. Until you're familiar with these, it feels like you shouldn’t be pushing the buttons are hard as needed.
Old 01-25-18, 06:40 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the fact that it's harder to do so when you just want to crack the window or partially roll it down, you don't accidentally/easily activate the auto up/down.
The following 3 users liked this post by jr4div2:
mcomer (01-26-18), Nail34 (01-25-18), ravenuer (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 08:49 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jr4div2
I like the fact that it's harder to do so when you just want to crack the window or partially roll it down, you don't accidentally/easily activate the auto up/down.
Works perfectly for me.
Old 01-25-18, 01:51 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

feel like a dumbass, lol i'm thinking i haven't cracked a window since i got the car a month ago.
the sunroof i opened and cracked at the clear bra shop, and got the black from the windshield back covered. window switched had don't use after the tint, guess i never tried after that.
Old 01-25-18, 06:25 PM
mssca
Driver

I can confirmed thanks you everyone here on CL, I was able to get my auto window up/down to work. Yes, you have to push/pull it hard in order for it to work. I wonder how long this driver side switch would last!

My Toyota has a soft touch auto up/down window and I don't have any problem with it. Quick flick up or quick push down will go up/down auto OR hold it one second or two up/down it will go into auto mode.

Last edited by mssca; 01-26-18 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 06:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I suspect there are many more complex parts to worry about, so don't lose sleep over how long a window switch may last. Probably the life of the car in all honesty.

Quick Reply: One touch windows issue