RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Excessive Noise - High Pressure Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 04:39 PM
AZBlueDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Excessive Noise - High Pressure Fuel Pump

I have a 2016 RX 350, great car, EXCEPT for an intermittent cabin noise it's had since day 1. It sounds like a fan bearing going bad somewhere in the dash - Lexus techs called it the Jetsons.. Working with 2 dealerships we troubleshot it for 20 months replacing PCV valves, S-Flow fans, rerouting fuel/evap lines until it was finally isolated to the high pressure fuel pump. Lexus now states the fuel pump it operating as designed and replacing the fuel pump may or may not fix eliminate the noise. So the noise that has been described by the dealer's service manager/tech that sound likes the Jettsons taking off is now "normal" I have appealed the decision to corporate Lexus and they refuse to authorize the repair. I offer to pay for the fuel pump replacement and if it didn't eliminate the noise fine, but if it did, Lexus should cover. I have driven/sat in at least 6 other 2016 RC 350s and none of them have the same noise. Lot rant, wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks
Old 01-25-18, 03:07 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by AZBlueDog
I have a 2016 RX 350, great car, EXCEPT for an intermittent cabin noise it's had since day 1. It sounds like a fan bearing going bad somewhere in the dash - Lexus techs called it the Jetsons.. Working with 2 dealerships we troubleshot it for 20 months replacing PCV valves, S-Flow fans, rerouting fuel/evap lines until it was finally isolated to the high pressure fuel pump. Lexus now states the fuel pump it operating as designed and replacing the fuel pump may or may not fix eliminate the noise. So the noise that has been described by the dealer's service manager/tech that sound likes the Jettsons taking off is now "normal" I have appealed the decision to corporate Lexus and they refuse to authorize the repair. I offer to pay for the fuel pump replacement and if it didn't eliminate the noise fine, but if it did, Lexus should cover. I have driven/sat in at least 6 other 2016 RC 350s and none of them have the same noise. Lot rant, wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks
Is it a fast ticking type noise - I have that when the car is cold and first started, can't really hear it inside only when the car is in the garage, goes away after two/three minutes. No sound if the car is hot and started. I believe it's common, normal and not a problem. I was told by dealer it's the fuel pump and read about it elsewhere - most likely on this forum.
The following users liked this post:
AZBlueDog (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 08:29 AM
AZBlueDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Noise - High Pressure Fuel Pump

GSFRX350, You are close. From the outside of the car it sounds very mechanical, especially with the plastic engine cover removed, but from the inside it sounds more like the whirring noise of a fan bearing going bad. It is quiet (normally) at start up and tends to start howling once the car has been under load. It cannot be heard except at engine idle though i suspect that is just a function of road noise. If it sits at idle for 5 to 10 minutes it will cease/greatly diminish, which is what has made it so hard to isolate. I'm reasonable confident the high pressure fuel pump is the culprit. It was added, according to the dealer, in 2016 to increase fuel efficiency which would account for no complaints for earlier years. I don't believe it is a "feature" as stated by Lexus, more of a "bug". Very much appreciate the reply.
Old 01-26-18, 07:45 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AZBlueDog
GSFRX350, You are close. From the outside of the car it sounds very mechanical, especially with the plastic engine cover removed, but from the inside it sounds more like the whirring noise of a fan bearing going bad. It is quiet (normally) at start up and tends to start howling once the car has been under load. It cannot be heard except at engine idle though i suspect that is just a function of road noise. If it sits at idle for 5 to 10 minutes it will cease/greatly diminish, which is what has made it so hard to isolate. I'm reasonable confident the high pressure fuel pump is the culprit. It was added, according to the dealer, in 2016 to increase fuel efficiency which would account for no complaints for earlier years. I don't believe it is a "feature" as stated by Lexus, more of a "bug". Very much appreciate the reply.
These little issues are very annoying and make us "hate" the car instead of enjoying it. However, we can't help you without hearing it ourselves and compare it to our cars. Can you post a video of it?