RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reverse Camera Quality is blurry

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 09:08 AM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reverse Camera Quality is blurry

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2016 RX350 Fsport 3 and I noticed that the panoramic camera quality is miles ahead of the the reverse. I complained once and they said it was dirty and cleaned it but it looked the same.

It was only until I went into my cousin's IS300 that I noticed the same crappy quality. When compared to the 360 camera around the car which is so clear, the rear one is so bad in comparison

Is everyone having the same issue?
Old 01-25-18, 09:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Soyabean
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2016 RX350 Fsport 3 and I noticed that the panoramic camera quality is miles ahead of the the reverse. I complained once and they said it was dirty and cleaned it but it looked the same.

It was only until I went into my cousin's IS300 that I noticed the same crappy quality. When compared to the 360 camera around the car which is so clear, the rear one is so bad in comparison

Mine is reasonably clear as long as the lense is clean.
Old 01-25-18, 11:27 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Loses clarity at night, but very clear other wise.

BUT I don't have the 360 view.
Old 01-25-18, 12:04 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Loses clarity at night, but very clear other wise.

BUT I don't have the 360 view.
For sure much worse at night. Thanks for pointing that out. Seems most behave like that at least in the cars I've seen and owned.
Old 01-25-18, 01:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Hey Everyone,

The cameras are not of HD quality, i think HD was only really launched on the current gen E class. Quite a ways off (who know they might include it in refresh) for Lexus to adopt it
Old 01-25-18, 01:50 PM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this just for the 2016 model year? For a Lexus, doesn't look good.
Old 01-25-18, 02:03 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

camera quality is inferior to German rear view cameras. take a look at the Mercedes cameras, it seems like they have night vision and 1080p
Old 01-25-18, 02:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by soholexus
Is this just for the 2016 model year? For a Lexus, doesn't look good.
Its not a lexus only thing, the entire market has yet to shift to Full on HD. vehicular parts are different from what you can get at your local bestbuy. Way behind the tech industry

Originally Posted by raysmd
camera quality is inferior to German rear view cameras. take a look at the Mercedes cameras, it seems like they have night vision and 1080p
Night vision....? which german automaker has rear view night vision. 1080p just recently on the E like a year or sooo...It will be awhile.
Old 01-25-18, 04:28 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine is clear, but gets dirty so easily. Much more so than my ES did. Must be due to placement and car shape, but isn’t very convenient during the rainy season.
Old 01-25-18, 04:48 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

might want to find out if it has condensation inside of the protective lens. While the one on my RCF doesn't, the one on my wife's 2017 Camry did and had to recently be replaced, there was a pinhole leak in the seal.
Old 01-25-18, 08:38 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm a little confused, you said "When compared to the 360 camera around the car which is so clear, the rear one is so bad in comparison." The 360 degree view is made up of the four cameras around the car so the rear camera is included in that "clear" view. ??
Old 01-26-18, 06:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raysmd
My daughter has a brand new Q5 and the camera seems pretty similar to that of the RX.
Old 01-26-18, 07:06 AM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I'm a little confused, you said "When compared to the 360 camera around the car which is so clear, the rear one is so bad in comparison." The 360 degree view is made up of the four cameras around the car so the rear camera is included in that "clear" view. ??
Hey all,

Sorry blurry is a very bad word to describe it. It's not blurry but the resolution is not as clear as the remaining 3 cameras (2 on the side, 1 in front). I can definitely see objects and all when reversing, but i noticed the quality in the rear is inferior to the ones used on the front and side.

Anyone know what website I can upload pics for free? I know Photobucket stopped letting people share with the free account. I need to fix the title as it's a little misleading. I can show you what I mean but it's nothing major. Just bothered me how it's different
Old 01-26-18, 07:11 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone know what website I can upload pics for free? I know Photobucket stopped letting people share with the free account. I need to fix the title as it's a little misleading. I can show you what I mean but it's nothing major. Just bothered me how it's different
Dropbox and Google Docs still allow you to share files. At least you can post link to the file here for free.
Old 01-26-18, 07:40 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey all,

Sorry blurry is a very bad word to describe it. It's not blurry but the resolution is not as clear as the remaining 3 cameras (2 on the side, 1 in front). I can definitely see objects and all when reversing, but i noticed the quality in the rear is inferior to the ones used on the front and side.

Yes, the RX350 rear back up camera SUCKS, even my Taco, Tundra, and NX have BETTER backup camera quality than my 2017 RX350. My 2015 GX460 backup camera SUCKS as well....very low quality and low pixels. For $10 more I think Lexus can equip these cars with better backup camera. I was disappointed to find that out but oh well we only use the backup camera few times a day.

See the attached pisc to attach your pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Reverse Camera Quality is blurry-attpic.jpg   Reverse Camera Quality is blurry-attpic2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera Quality is blurry