RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

accuracy of the tire sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18 | 02:18 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cocal
I too thought so and never used it for the reasons you mentioned, this RX came with nitrogen, but I must confess that I haven't had any seepage or loss of pressure in 1 yr.
I think the jury is still out and it may indeed be a marketing gimmick, but if all else fails it may worth a shot.
Loss of pressure including cold?
Still have to add for the cold weather and probably remove in the summer heat.
Old 01-27-18 | 02:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JSracer
Loss of pressure including cold?
Still have to add for the cold weather and probably remove in the summer heat.
When I bought my 2017 ES, it had a nitrogen tire fill as a $100 dealer add-on. When I told the sales manager that I would not buy the car if I had to pay $100 for what is a pure profit add-on, they took the $100 off of the price of the car, but they left the nitrogen in the tires.

One of the alleged benefits of nitrogen tire fills is that the pressure changes are come with changes in temperature are supposed to be smaller than they would be if the tires were filled with regular air. My experience has been that, if there is any difference with regard to how much the pressure changes when the temperature changes, it is so small that it is meaningless. When I check the pressure on the tires in the ES with the nitrogen filled tires and the pressure in my other vehicle with regular air in its tires. the changes in pressure that come with changes in temperature are virtually identical. And, as I said in an earlier post, the disadvantage of the nitrogen fill is that, when you do need to add "air", you can't just go to the gas station or use a compressor at home. Instead, you need to go the car dealer or to a tire dealer that has the equipment to do a nitrogen fill.

And, when you consider that the nitrogen fill is only raising the nitrogen in the tires from around 78% to a little over 90%, it is hard to believe the hype that the nitrogen fill is going to have some magical affect that significant reduces changes in tire pressure or has any other meaningful benefits.

For me, the bottom line is that, since I didn't have to pay for it on the ES, I was okay with getting the nitrogen fill, but I would not see any value in getting a nitrogen fill if I had to pay anything at all for it,. Further, when I need to add "air" as the seasons change, my plan is just to add regular air, which will negate any marginal benefits that the nitrogen fill might have originally had.

Last edited by lesz; 01-27-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-27-18 | 08:20 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lesz
When I bought my 2017 ES, it had a nitrogen tire fill as a $100 dealer add-on. When I told the sales manager that I would not buy the car if I had to pay $100 for what is a pure profit add-on, they took the $100 off of the price of the car, but they left the nitrogen in the tires.

One of the alleged benefits of nitrogen tire fills is that the pressure changes are come with changes in temperature are supposed to be smaller than they would be if the tires were filled with regular air. My experience has been that, if there is any difference with regard to how much the pressure changes when the temperature changes, it is so small that it is meaningless. When I check the pressure on the tires in the ES with the nitrogen filled tires and the pressure in my other vehicle with regular air in its tires. the changes in pressure that come with changes in temperature are virtually identical. And, as I said in an earlier post, the disadvantage of the nitrogen fill is that, when you do need to add "air", you can't just go to the gas station or use a compressor at home. Instead, you need to go the car dealer or to a tire dealer that has the equipment to do a nitrogen fill.

And, when you consider that the nitrogen fill is only raising the nitrogen in the tires from around 78% to a little over 90%, it is hard to believe the hype that the nitrogen fill is going to have some magical affect that significant reduces changes in tire pressure or has any other meaningful benefits.

For me, the bottom line is that, since I didn't have to pay for it on the ES, I was okay with getting the nitrogen fill, but I would not see any value in getting a nitrogen fill if I had to pay anything at all for it,. Further, when I need to add "air" as the seasons change, my plan is just to add regular air, which will negate any marginal benefits that the nitrogen fill might have originally had.
Yes, big waste of money! I had a similar experience. When I mentioned to the sales guy that air already has 78% Nitrogen, if I remembered my chemistry courses correctly, the sales guy would not believe me. I ended not buying from that dealer due to that. They just kept pushing the extra cost. Once the dealer has the nitrogen machine, it is not very costly since the tire goes through several automated cycles of purging Oxygen from the tire and just leaving the nitrogen.

In theory, the Nitrogen molecule is bigger than Oxygen, so the air filled tire will leak a little faster than Nitrogen filled one. Same issue that helium balloons leak faster than air ones. Helium is much smaller molecule. Also the pressure change is only noticeable at high temps, so a nitrogen tends to be used in racing cars. I still do not see value on regular cars.
Old 01-27-18 | 08:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
In theory, the Nitrogen molecule is bigger than Oxygen, so the air filled tire will leak a little faster than Nitrogen filled one.
As I was thinking about the claim that, because nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules, there should be less leaking with a nitrogen fill, something struck me about a problem with that "sales pitch" for nitrogen fills. If oxygen, in fact, is more prone to be leaking from the tires than is nitrogen, it would seem that, if you just filled the tires with regular air, (most of) the oxygen in that regular air should eventually be leaking out of the tire, while the nitrogen should be (mostly) remaining in the tire. So, if you filled the tires say, to 38 psi with regular air, eventually, the oxygen would be all/mostly gone from the tire, and, after most of the oxygen had leaked out of the tire, what you would end up with would essentially be an accidental and free nitrogen fill at 33 psi.

While I'm being somewhat facetious with the above explanation, if, in fact, oxygen is more prone to leaking from the tires than is nitrogen, any leakage that does occur with regular air should be mostly oxygen.
Old 01-28-18 | 05:10 AM
Cocal
Racer

I would not pay $ 100 that's robbery! Mine had it and it didn't show as a separate charge on the bill of sale so I'm pretty sure that ir was a dealer's added value thing.

Nitrogen must give benefit in temp fluctuations or else the airlines would not use it in the tires of their aeroplanes, whether one must have great fluctuations as they have I don't know. I'd pay $5 @ tire for this "convenience" but never would `I pay $25.
Old 01-28-18 | 07:47 AM
mssca
Driver

I would not pay $ 100 that's robbery! Mine had it and it didn't show as a separate charge on the bill of sale so I'm pretty sure that ir was a dealer's added value thing.

Nitrogen must give benefit in temp fluctuations or else the airlines would not use it in the tires of their aeroplanes, whether one must have great fluctuations as they have I don't know. I'd pay $5 @ tire for this "convenience" but never would `I pay $25.
I think most Canadian dealerships would put nitrogen for free. But even with nitrogen on mine, I still get the low tire pressure warning after I parked the RX for 7+ hours out in the open this winter.
Old 01-28-18 | 08:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Nitrogen must give benefit in temp fluctuations or else the airlines would not use it in the tires of their aeroplanes
It has to do with safety, not tire pressure fluctuations. Not relevant to autos.
"To eliminate the possibility of a chemical reaction between atmospheric oxygen and volatile gases from the tire inner liner producing a tire explosion"

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...8-09#_Section8
Old 01-28-18 | 10:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mssca
I think most Canadian dealerships would put nitrogen for free. But even with nitrogen on mine, I still get the low tire pressure warning after I parked the RX for 7+ hours out in the open this winter.
Doesn't happen to me even after days being parked. I'd have your TPMS checked/calibrated just to be sure. This year even in Ontario we got Alberta-type winter
Old 01-28-18 | 11:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Doesn't happen to me even after days being parked. I'd have your TPMS checked/calibrated just to be sure. This year even in Ontario we got Alberta-type winter
How many days the car has been parked has no effect at all on whether the TPMS warning light comes on. If the tires are filled to the proper pressure, the TPMS warning light will not come on regardless of whether the car has been parked for 5 hours, for 5 days, or for 5 weeks.

I'm confident in guessing that mssca's problem has nothing to do with whether his/her TPMS is functioning properly. Instead, his/her warning light is coming on when the car is first driven for the day because the tires are under inflated. Then, after the car has been driven for a few miles, the tires warm up and the pressure increases, which causes the warning light to turn off.
Old 01-28-18 | 11:31 AM
Cocal
Racer

How many days the car has been parked has no effect at all on whether the TPMS warning light comes on. If the tires are filled to the proper pressure, the TPMS warning light will not come on regardless of whether the car has been parked for 5 hours, for 5 days, or for 5 weeks.
I'm confident in guessing that mssca's problem has nothing to do with whether his/her TPMS is functioning properly. Instead, his/her warning light is coming on when the car is first driven for the day because the tires are under inflated. Then, after the car has been driven for a few miles, the tires warm up and the pressure increases, which causes the warning light to turn off.
You're right, I assumed that the tires were properly inflated.