RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

XM vs. AT&T Controversy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 10:23 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default XM vs. AT&T Controversy

My RX 450h has been in the shop a few times for a faulty infotainment system. One of my beefs was the XM cutting out in wide open areas on a clear day. The dealer service advisor told me there is a problem with AT&T cell towers interfering with the XM signals. I brushed this off as sounding silly. On my last trip into service, they replaced the entire system. One day, I pulled up in the parking lot of an AT&T store & my XM suddenly went out. The screen said “No Signal” & I noticed ther was a cell tower in the rear of the building. I’ve noticed each time I drive into that parking lot, my XM goes out. I noticed this at another tower location that is along the road. As soon as I’m within 100’, poof - XM goes out.

I believe the service advisor now. Has anyone else heard of this & is there a fix?
Old 01-31-18, 10:30 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
My RX 450h has been in the shop a few times for a faulty infotainment system. One of my beefs was the XM cutting out in wide open areas on a clear day. The dealer service advisor told me there is a problem with AT&T cell towers interfering with the XM signals. I brushed this off as sounding silly. On my last trip into service, they replaced the entire system. One day, I pulled up in the parking lot of an AT&T store & my XM suddenly went out. The screen said “No Signal” & I noticed ther was a cell tower in the rear of the building. I’ve noticed each time I drive into that parking lot, my XM goes out. I noticed this at another tower location that is along the road. As soon as I’m within 100’, poof - XM goes out.

I believe the service advisor now. Has anyone else heard of this & is there a fix?

Yes it was discussed before, I forget which thread,

Their bands are one next to another and harmonics can affect XM. Harmics are filtered but when close enough, it could be a high enough noise onto the signal to scramble.
Old 01-31-18, 11:00 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Yes it was discussed before, I forget which thread,

Their bands are one next to another and harmonics can affect XM. Harmics are filtered but when close enough, it could be a high enough noise onto the signal to scramble.
Since you are in Canada, does Rogers interfere with your XM? I can understand the bandwidth issue, but why is my VW XM not effected? My previous vehicle also did not have this issue with satellite reception. How many years has Lexus used this same antiquated infotainment system? I can’t believe they haven’t offered Apple/Google compatibility. I’m seeing both Acura & Lexus slip behind the power curve of technology. That’s sad when Chevy & Kia have better, less fussy infotainment systems. If one reads Consumer Reports, year after year, they have dinged Lexus about their terrible interface, yet there’s been no change. Now, Lexus is on the list as the most dangerous to use infotainment vehicles. Way to keep up Lexus!
Old 01-31-18, 11:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Yes it was discussed before, I forget which thread
Same OP: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...io-survey.html
Old 01-31-18, 11:10 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Since you are in Canada, does Rogers interfere with your XM?

I hear some little cutoffs sometimes but now to mention it, I will look into the Rogers band so see if it is similar to AT&T.

I can understand the bandwidth issue, but why is my VW XM not effected? My previous vehicle also did not have this issue with satellite reception. How many years has Lexus used this same antiquated infotainment system?
This is my first XM radio, so i don't know.

I can’t believe they haven’t offered Apple/Google compatibility. I’m seeing both Acura & Lexus slip behind the power curve of technology. That’s sad when Chevy & Kia have better, less fussy infotainment systems. If one reads Consumer Reports, year after year, they have dinged Lexus about their terrible interface, yet there’s been no change. Now, Lexus is on the list as the most dangerous to use infotainment vehicles. Way to keep up Lexus!
Some companies started a while ago to invest in their own interfaces (Enform for Lexus) and don't want to lose the investment. They also don't want to pay royalties and licenses for use of Apple/Android interface. But losing the battle, they will make a change of faith eventually.
Old 01-31-18, 11:36 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yes, this thread was before they did a total replacement. I had random & sometimes continuous XM cut outs or sometimes the artist/song info wouldn’t load. Now, after the replacement, it’s clear & sounding good & everything loads, then it cuts out completely as long as I’m fairly near the tower, then comes back as soon as I’m away from the tower. Similar, but different issue from the previous thread.
Old 02-01-18, 06:39 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Now, Lexus is on the list as the most dangerous to use infotainment vehicles. Way to keep up Lexus!

Do you have the link to that study? I can only find the list from AAA, of which there are no Lexus on.
Old 02-01-18, 07:37 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Do you have the link to that study? I can only find the list from AAA, of which there are no Lexus on.
It was in one of my latest Consumer Reports. I’ll find it & post it later today. I was surprised at the findings, but in comparison to my own fumbling with the Lexus mouse, I shouldn’t be surprised. I had a late model FCA product with the Uconnect system & I can easily say it is far superior to the Lexus system.
Old 02-01-18, 08:39 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

It was in one of my latest Consumer Reports. I’ll find it & post it later today. I was surprised at the findings, but in comparison to my own fumbling with the Lexus mouse, I shouldn’t be surprised. I had a late model FCA product with the Uconnect system & I can easily say it is far superior to the Lexus system.
Cool thanks! I was glad to read that Lexus is finally adopting Apple CarPlay.
Old 02-01-18, 09:18 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

It's getting off topic, but even if it is not touch screen, I like the remote touch and having the screen further on the dash. It makes less diversion to alternate between the road and the screen.

To those who have difficulty to point, set the pad "stickyness" at maximum. It will move only to the next selectable item.
Old 02-01-18, 09:19 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

It's getting off topic, but even if it is not touch screen, I like the remote touch and having the screen further on the dash. It makes less diversion to alternate between the road and the screen.

To those who have difficulty to point, set the pad "stickyness" at maximum. It will move only to the next selectable item.
Yes, it makes it MUCH better, but it still overshoots some.
Old 02-01-18, 10:05 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

i agree- I prefer the remote touch to touch screen as well.
Old 02-03-18, 05:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Where is that setting?
Old 02-04-18, 04:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mspearl95
I looked for my magazine, but I must have pitched it. Here is the online link:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nment-systems/
Old 02-05-18, 10:39 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Where is that setting?

General settings, Scroll down twice --> Feedback Force.

The default is in the middle, At the maximum is too much, one just bellow is my preferred setting,