RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Keep DRL on but disable auto-headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18 | 10:13 AM
raysmd
Driver

Default Keep DRL on but disable auto-headlights?

is it possible to have the LED daytime lights on but disable the main auto headlights?
Old 02-01-18 | 11:28 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

I do not believe so unless you have the Canadian version unit which has one additional position switch "O" which turns on just the DRL without the tail and head lights being on.
Old 02-02-18 | 06:59 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Yes. My LED DRL are always on but I turned the auto headlights off because I'm always go in and out of parking garages and tunnels and I didn't like them turning on and off so much.
Old 02-02-18 | 02:05 PM
raysmd
Driver

^ how did you accomplish this?
Old 02-03-18 | 02:01 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by raysmd
^ how did you accomplish this?

Put the light setting the way I have it but do it when the car is on. I don't know why but if you do it while the car is off, it'll let you know with the warning sound that lights were left on and won't shut off automatically. But once you have it set, the DRL's will stay on when the headlights are on or off. Just don't turn the switch to auto. Sorry if the pictures aren't that good but I wanted to show that they stay lit with that setting. I like this much better since I choose when I want my lights on as opposed to auto. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-18 | 09:02 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Actually that setting is for the running lights ( side marker, parking, tail, license plate and instrument lights) which in this case makes a whole lot of sense since both parking lights, tails lights, license plate lights and side markers lights will stay on. DRL (parking lights) only involves the front running lights (string of LED lights just below the headlights) and not the tail lights, side marker, license plates and instrument lights). When set in Auto the DRL (parking lights) lights are on but not the tail lights, side markers, license plate lights and instrument lights, unless ambient light is low to auto turn on the headlights and the rest of the running lights. If you noticed, the side marker is lit in one of your pics and if you check the rear you will also see the license plate light, tail lights and instrument lights will also be on.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-04-18)
Old 02-05-18 | 11:24 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Actually that setting is for the running lights ( side marker, parking, tail, license plate and instrument lights) which in this case makes a whole lot of sense since both parking lights, tails lights, license plate lights and side markers lights will stay on. DRL (parking lights) only involves the front running lights (string of LED lights just below the headlights) and not the tail lights, side marker, license plates and instrument lights). When set in Auto the DRL (parking lights) lights are on but not the tail lights, side markers, license plate lights and instrument lights, unless ambient light is low to auto turn on the headlights and the rest of the running lights. If you noticed, the side marker is lit in one of your pics and if you check the rear you will also see the license plate light, tail lights and instrument lights will also be on.
Yeah, that's the compromise I make so I don't have to deal with the auto headlights.
Old 02-05-18 | 01:56 PM
raysmd
Driver

I wonder if we can modify the DRL to stay on with techstream
Old 02-06-18 | 07:45 AM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

You can also go to the vehicle customization setting and go to lights settings and change the headlamps on sensitivity to very dark that way the headlights will not keep coming on if there still some ambient light.
Old 02-06-18 | 01:48 PM
raysmd
Driver

^ that’s what I have it on now. Guess it’s good enough
Old 02-06-18 | 07:36 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Supranut
You can also go to the vehicle customization setting and go to lights settings and change the headlamps on sensitivity to very dark that way the headlights will not keep coming on if there still some ambient light.
You can do this or just leave it alone. Seriously, do you really get bothered by the auto headlights coming on and off on their own? Don't even mention battery unless you can tell me how many amps of battery current does it consume to turn on when passing over the bridge for a second or two. Or maybe you just wish there is car out there that can do every wish list you have including mind reading everytime you change you mind!