RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

12.3 navigation HD traffic

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 12:31 PM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 12.3 navigation HD traffic

can those people live in large cities comment on how HD traffic compares to google map traffic (assuming checking on your mobile phone)
how accurate it is?
how is the coverage compared to Google? like small streets
Old 02-13-18, 03:55 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
can those people live in large cities comment on how HD traffic compares to google map traffic (assuming checking on your mobile phone)
how accurate it is?
Traffic info is ~10mins delayed compare to Google. Google is also more flexible in terms of shortcuts etc. in my experience. HD traffic is accurate (after the delay).
Old 02-13-18, 06:02 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The HD traffic may be delayed between few mins to as mentioned above 10 mins+ depending on the service provider.

OP,
you are in Ontario right? I thought we don't have HD live traffic in Canada because Lesus is too cheap to include it for Canadian customers. I am in Alberta and on my 2017 RX has no HD traffic. Am I missing something?
Old 02-13-18, 08:31 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually got HD traffic in small cities too.
Old 02-13-18, 08:48 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

how accurate it is?
I see about 15-20 minute delay when accident happens to when it gets reported. This delay is very typical of the traffic info provider.
Old 02-14-18, 06:10 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
The HD traffic may be delayed between few mins to as mentioned above 10 mins+ depending on the service provider.

OP,
you are in Ontario right? I thought we don't have HD live traffic in Canada because Lesus is too cheap to include it for Canadian customers. I am in Alberta and on my 2017 RX has no HD traffic. Am I missing something?

Next time I go in the US (not anytime soon), I want to seek an HD channel to try it out. Last summer when I went in New-Jersey for vacation, I was not aware about this feature.
Old 02-14-18, 06:25 AM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Next time I go in the US (not anytime soon), I want to seek an HD channel to try it out. Last summer when I went in New-Jersey for vacation, I was not aware about this feature.
It is actually useful. Unlike Lexus, all Honda Canada and Acura Canada products comes with HD traffic. My little brother's Honda Civic 2017 has HD traffic and I found it useful. It provides multiple options to get from point A to B instead of one option with traffic data.
Old 02-14-18, 06:27 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

It is actually useful. Unlike Lexus, all Honda Canada and Acura Canada products comes with HD traffic. My little brother's Honda Civic 2017 has HD traffic and I found it useful. It provides multiple options to get from point A to B instead of one option with traffic data.

So your RX does not get the HD data?
Old 02-14-18, 06:30 AM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by PeeVee
So your RX does not get the HD data?
No HD live traffic on 2017 RX Executive. At least not in Canada and I haven't been to US. I am not a happy customer. Oh well... you can't have everything. I am not sure 2018 model has HD traffic in Canada.
Old 02-14-18, 06:34 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

No HD live traffic on 2017 RX Executive. At least not in Canada and I haven't been to US. I am not a happy customer. Oh well... you can't have everything. I am not sure 2018 model has HD traffic in Canada.
In my case I thought that it was because in Montreal, the only HD channel is marked as experimental and run by Bell.
But it is very possible that it won't work in the US either.

Mine is a 2016 luxury. Next one might be a 2020 or 2021.

EDIT:

The worst part is that my Garmin GPS gets the trafic data over normal FM radio.
Old 02-14-18, 06:39 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Very accurate in NYC, only rarely, do I see a few mins delay.

PS I use Google Maps all the time as well to figure out best path as it's a million times easier to navigate than the f@kin joystick in the Lexus. I want to meet the man who invented this baldness inducing piece of crap.
Old 02-14-18, 06:44 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

HD traffic is not available in Canada for RX at all, even 2018 does not have it.
2018 NX, has it in Canada, i highly expect they add it to 2019 RX in Canada.
(So no, older models are not compatible, HD traffic is bundled with Enform )
2018 NX introduced Enform in Canada.

Now as far as technology, Honda uses HERE WeGo for their data:
https://www.here.com/en

Lexus uses Total Traffic Network for their data:
http://www.ttwnetwork.com/

I assume they use the same for 2018 NX in Canada.
my online research shows that Honda's data provider is better.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnhey:
mssca (02-14-18), PeeVee (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 06:52 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
Very accurate in NYC, only rarely, do I see a few mins delay.

PS I use Google Maps all the time as well to figure out best path as it's a million times easier to navigate than the f@kin joystick in the Lexus. I want to meet the man who invented this baldness inducing piece of crap.
in NYC, like Manhattan area, do you see traffic in all streets like(25th, 26th) or only main streets like Broadway, 3th etc
Old 02-14-18, 07:00 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ut2sua
Traffic info is ~10mins delayed compare to Google. Google is also more flexible in terms of shortcuts etc. in my experience. HD traffic is accurate (after the delay).
Do you mean there is a 10 min delay when initially you start your car OR always?
10 min delay to update the traffic data in cities is too much and defeats the whole purpose of using it.
Old 02-14-18, 02:07 PM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

in NYC, like Manhattan area, do you see traffic in all streets like(25th, 26th) or only main streets like Broadway, 3th etc
It usually shows everything, especially after a few mins of driving. I only find this traffic info useful is to know when the traffic finally clears out

Quick Reply: 12.3 navigation HD traffic