RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Motor Trend Takes the RX 350L Out for a Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 01:47 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm pretty shocked by how much love the QX60 gets... I've driven them many many times as I've had them as loaners every time my previous Q50S had to visit the dealership (which was very often).

Drove many examples of pre-facelift and post-facelift models. Post-facelift models I found to be quite handsome from the exterior, materials inside got a much needed upgrade but what killed it for me was just how dated the entire vehicle was. Not sure how anyone can look past that really. The buttons and switchgear scream Nissan from the early 2000s, as does the infotainment system which was never updated to the newer InTouch system that debuted in the 2014 Q50. Also found it to be just a strange hodge-podge of Infiniti/Nissan parts bin items... Same instrument cluster display found in a base Altima (even tilted backwards at the same strange angle) and then a separate display for mileage and gear indicator that is straight out of the 90s:

To be fair, I found the CVT to be very responsive and insanely smooth at getting the vehicle up to speed in normal driving conditions. For it's intended purpose as a family-hauler, the CVT seemed perfect for this application and I was very impressed with it. Otherwise, steering not only feels dated and springy in a not good-hydraulic way but was pretty numb and unresponsive (very reminiscent of our past 1999 Acura RL steering for those familiar).

Brakes in normal use were responsive and sufficient but full ABS stops seem to only lock-up the wheels and are accompanied with an uncomfortable amount of nosedive (had to avoid a Q50 who spun out in the middle of the road and crossed the median). Not confidence inspiring whatsoever. Handled decently for such a large and soft vehicle but it's the interior that really kills it for me. I've never been in the position to need a 3-row vehicle (though we have had a GL450) but I can't imagine being able to overlook such an obviously dated vehicle full of cheap-parts bin components that's sold alongside vehicles like the Q50, Q60 and soon to be QX50 that further exaggerate the age of the QX60 platform/architecture (yes, I know the Q50 rides on a heavily revised G37 platform and is also aging).