RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 09:24 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Agreed on the adaptive cruise in stop-and-go traffic. I also have a very rough downshift with my transmission at higher speeds going from 5th gear to 4th so compound that with the jarring brakes and it makes for an extremely uncomfortable ride. It almost feels like I'm in some amusement ride.

You can turn on the regular cruise by holding the ON/OFF button at the end of the cruise control stalk. You'll notice the cruise control indicator change in the instrument cluster.
Flawed technology - we just aren’t anywhere near there yet. I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for it.
Old 08-26-20, 10:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Cruise adaptive or otherwise is NOT intended for stop and go traffic. Cmon.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (08-28-20), GSFRX350 (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 12:27 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Cruise adaptive or otherwise is NOT intended for stop and go traffic. Cmon.
I don't disagree with you, @mikemu30, but Lexus (and other brands) market it for stop and go situations. Here's an excerpt from the 2020 RX350 All Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control page (https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...hnology/safety):

This system uses radar and camera technology to help you maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead. Whether at highway speeds or in stop-and-go traffic, the system is designed to detect if you get closer than the preset distance and automatically slow your vehicle, even to a complete stop.

My first experience with adaptive cruise control was on my wife's 2004 Toyota Sienna. All these years later, the implementation hasn't changed much and isn't much better. I've tried it on my 2020 RX in stop and go traffic, and don't like it at all. It drives like a teenager; no ability to see what is about to happen and adjust accordingly. As a result, it accelerates too quickly and brakes too hard. No thanks. Highway driving is a different story. I generally use and like its behavior there.
Old 08-26-20, 01:14 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

The user manual for my 2018 is very clear that if the ACC slows the vehicle below a certain speed, it will disengage and not resume. It works very well, IMHO, on freeways when the traffic is flowing, as well as on low-volume state highways.

Last edited by dibl; 08-26-20 at 01:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dibl:
exonw (09-13-20), GSFRX350 (08-26-20), SFFD785 (08-27-20)
Old 08-26-20, 04:00 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
I don't disagree with you, @mikemu30, but Lexus (and other brands) market it for stop and go situations. Here's an excerpt from the 2020 RX350 All Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control page (https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...hnology/safety):

This system uses radar and camera technology to help you maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead. Whether at highway speeds or in stop-and-go traffic, the system is designed to detect if you get closer than the preset distance and automatically slow your vehicle, even to a complete stop.

My first experience with adaptive cruise control was on my wife's 2004 Toyota Sienna. All these years later, the implementation hasn't changed much and isn't much better. I've tried it on my 2020 RX in stop and go traffic, and don't like it at all. It drives like a teenager; no ability to see what is about to happen and adjust accordingly. As a result, it accelerates too quickly and brakes too hard. No thanks. Highway driving is a different story. I generally use and like its behavior there.
Marketing vs common sense. You decide which route to take. I use it on open highway runs all the time with both of our cars and it works well.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 04:16 PM
Schweden
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many other automakers have been able to get ACC correctly. Granted, it's not for every situation and doesn't usually handle things such as other cars merging well. But it's a real lifesaver for many situations where you're literally stopping and going such as a slow crawl through a construction zone or a really backed up one lane highway on/off ramp.

I've used a few systems such as Volvo Pilot Assist or Subaru Eyesight and they've been able to nail down the braking/acceleration. I really wish Lexus could've done ACC better, but then again, they thought that having ACC quickly disengage without enough warning when going below 30mph on the previous generation ES was a good idea.
bamalam (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 06:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I dropped off my 450h for a recall & a few other annoying issues & they gave me a UX to drive. What a big disappointment that thing is! Is it really a Lexus? I noticed it had all of the stupid radar cruise, etc. & I disabled it as soon as I started it up. My travels were much more stress free knowing that crap wasn’t going to intervene & scare me out on the highway. I can’t believe what they are charging for a cramped, buzzy little car that doesn’t even have leather seats. Hey, it’s nice to have wheels to drive while they work all of this foolishness out, so I’ll be happy
Old 08-27-20, 10:15 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Do I trust it? No. Should you, no. Here's my view based on my experience with Tesla. You are 100% accountable for what happens unless another fault could be determined(rarely happens). Furthermore, it's a drivers aid and not designed to be 100 autonomous. It just makes things a lot easier if you are on the hwy for long periods of time. I still use it, but I pay equal attention to it as if I were still controlling throttle and brake. It's nice for road trips, otherwise, I never use it. Even the most advanced system can't drive itself without fault(at this time).
The following 2 users liked this post by SFFD785:
coolbrazz (08-28-20), exonw (09-13-20)
Old 08-28-20, 03:23 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SFFD785
Do I trust it? No. Should you, no. Here's my view based on my experience with Tesla. You are 100% accountable for what happens unless another fault could be determined(rarely happens). Furthermore, it's a drivers aid and not designed to be 100 autonomous. It just makes things a lot easier if you are on the hwy for long periods of time. I still use it, but I pay equal attention to it as if I were still controlling throttle and brake. It's nice for road trips, otherwise, I never use it. Even the most advanced system can't drive itself without fault(at this time).
Absolutely agree.
Old 09-13-20, 01:35 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SFFD785
Agree ... I always use it for H-way driving together with LKA and combo works for me.
GSFRX350 (09-13-20)
Old 01-27-22, 11:46 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
Agree ... I always use it for H-way driving together with LKA and combo works for me.
just had a 2021 RX350 to test drive for 24 hours. I found this generation of adaptive cruise control to be a bit more unreliable than the past generation on my 2016 ES. within the 24 hours, there were a couple of incidents where it just did not pick up a slow or stopped car ahead, and then either I had to brake hard, and/or the red warning beep thing had to fire. This does not happen to me with my 2016 ES. Are there some issues with the new version? or could it be:
1) there is some "learning " involved by the computer , and this 2021 has not had much use so far/ is not my car so not used to my driving?
and/or
2) my ES is the past generation of adaptive where it automatically kicks off at 25ish MPH or lower. The new one goes to zero, and some of these glitches were happening right around the 25 MPH speed range...

Old 01-27-22, 12:34 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
just had a 2021 RX350 to test drive for 24 hours. I found this generation of adaptive cruise control to be a bit more unreliable than the past generation on my 2016 ES. within the 24 hours, there were a couple of incidents where it just did not pick up a slow or stopped car ahead, and then either I had to brake hard, and/or the red warning beep thing had to fire. This does not happen to me with my 2016 ES. Are there some issues with the new version? or could it be:
1) there is some "learning " involved by the computer , and this 2021 has not had much use so far/ is not my car so not used to my driving?
and/or
2) my ES is the past generation of adaptive where it automatically kicks off at 25ish MPH or lower. The new one goes to zero, and some of these glitches were happening right around the 25 MPH speed range...
No way. My 2018 is super sensitive and if anything, is over reactive. I like it an use it frequently, but still am amazed how well it works.
Old 01-27-22, 01:19 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
and/or
Sounds like there maybe an issue with that particular car.
Old 01-27-22, 01:49 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

hmmm. might have been this particular car. Which was the first year of RX that had the full range adaptive (i.e. all the way down to a standstill at 0 MPH)?
Old 01-27-22, 02:27 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Sounds like there maybe an issue with that particular car.
I’ve found almost all of Toyota’s so-called “safety” equipment to be extremely flawed. My rear cross traffic alert is a ridiculous joke. It won’t pick up a cart or people walking behind the car & it won’t alert for a vehicle until it’s directly behind me! Service says this is normal & there is no adjustment. Funny, my Camaro rear cross traffic alert picks up people walking & vehicles over 50 feet away. This flawed crap is a huge waste of money.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?