RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 02:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
My system failed to detect a fat motorcycle on the freeway once. So while I wouldn't be dead in a ditch, the motorcyclist would've been...

These are not eyes-free systems, you cannot 100% trust them.
Of course it's not autonomous driving but it works well for what is intended. Even the "autonomous" systems can't be trusted to use blindly.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (02-21-22)
Old 02-19-22, 03:24 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

NONE of my so-called “safety equipment” works well. It’s a waste of money in my opinion & no substitute for actual driving.
Old 02-20-22, 03:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
NONE of my so-called “safety equipment” works well. It’s a waste of money in my opinion & no substitute for actual driving.
Waste of $ for you perhaps but I assure you that equipment has paid loads of dividends with avoided accidents and maybe worse. Not sure why you still have your Lexus. Every post you make indicates it's "garbage" . Why not sell and get something better??😟
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
jollick (02-21-22), PhxBill (02-20-22), TechNut (02-21-22)
Old 02-20-22, 03:43 PM
SamtheSham
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

With over 35,000 hrs flying in aircraft with 'Autopilots(cruise control), I find this system works pretty well. Not 'Auto' system is hands off. If you engage and forget, you will be a statistic. Us it as a tool, not as an end all be all. I find the system works well within the confines that it is designed for. Driving is not automatic. You MUST pay attention to all around you, or you will be a statistic.
The following 6 users liked this post by SamtheSham:
coolbrazz (02-21-22), jollick (02-21-22), mikemu30 (02-20-22), PhxBill (02-20-22), redhot47fl (02-21-22), TechNut (02-21-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-22, 10:34 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
With over 35,000 hrs flying in aircraft with 'Autopilots(cruise control), I find this system works pretty well. Not 'Auto' system is hands off. If you engage and forget, you will be a statistic. Us it as a tool, not as an end all be all. I find the system works well within the confines that it is designed for. Driving is not automatic. You MUST pay attention to all around you, or you will be a statistic.
Sam, well said! As a Naval aviator in the early 70's (in SH-3's) I appreciate your thinking. I'm a new 2022 RX owner and thus have limited experience with using the feature. But, so far I an delighted with it, within the confines of reason as you so well stated.
Old 02-22-22, 10:44 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
When your anti collision system slams on the brakes at 75 mph because of a truck in another lane, the system is flawed & worthless. When your cross traffic alert doesn’t warn until the crossing vehicle is directly behind you, the system is flawed & should never be trusted. I’m quite sure that if your autopilot started changing your direction or altitude on its own, you would disengage it & not trust it. Yes, this equipment can be a tool, but I’m old school & I don’t want it, nor do I trust it. It’s infuriating that we now have to pay for it & dig around in menus & buttons to turn the crap off.
Old 02-22-22, 11:22 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

When your anti collision system slams on the brakes at 75 mph because of a truck in another lane, the system is flawed & worthless. When your cross traffic alert doesn’t warn until the crossing vehicle is directly behind you, the system is flawed & should never be trusted. I’m quite sure that if your autopilot started changing your direction or altitude on its own, you would disengage it & not trust it. Yes, this equipment can be a tool, but I’m old school & I don’t want it, nor do I trust it. It’s infuriating that we now have to pay for it & dig around in menus & buttons to turn the crap off.
Never had the auto braking activate, but I found the rear cross traffic thing to work great. Saved my butt many times backing out of a parking spot with SUVs and PUs on either side.
The following 6 users liked this post by ravenuer:
DesertFox6 (02-23-22), jollick (02-22-22), kmiller882 (02-23-22), PhxBill (02-22-22), raylor4 (02-23-22), TechNut (02-23-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-22, 02:07 PM
SamtheSham
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had no problem with autobraking or 'cross traffic' warnings. Maybe the system you have is too old, or needs adjusting. I set the frontal distance alert to 1 bar and like the way it slowly back me away from frontal traffic. Like all automatic equipment, it is only as good as it is maintained and only as good as the user. Also like all other automatic tools they can be canceled at any time if they begin to malfunction, but the user must know what is happening and be alert to disconnect if necessary.
If you do not like the function, it does not automatically engage, and can be ignored for manual driving, just like the original Model T's. Drive the way you enjoy best.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamtheSham:
DesertFox6 (02-23-22), raylor4 (02-23-22)
Old 02-22-22, 03:54 PM
ZitoMD
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 13 mile stretch on a road for my commute that is stop-n-go. I love the fact I can set the speed and not touch the brake or gas pedal for 30 mins. Makes it almost bearable.

I had to use a Nissan Pathfinder and there is no comparison to the Lexus system. Lexus’ is smoother in the slowing down and speeding up. Plus it will actually hold the brakes when we come to a complete stop. In the Nissan after a second it beeps and releases the brakes and rolling away you go into the back of the car in front of you that is still stopped.
Old 02-23-22, 07:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

You mean you actually have to step on the brake in the Nissan so you don't hit the guy in front of you?
Old 02-23-22, 08:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

There's a 1980 Yugo for sale on autotrader you will absolutely love. I don't believe it has adaptive cruise so hope you are okay with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
PhxBill (02-23-22), ravenuer (02-23-22), raylor4 (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22, 12:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Let's keep it polite folks.

Conversely, if you've complained about something and thoroughly shared a concern with the community (multiple times), please consider you have been heard and move on from it.
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22, 01:06 PM
ZitoMD
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
You mean you actually have to step on the brake in the Nissan so you don't hit the guy in front of you?
The Nissan stops but then it doesn’t hold the brake. After a second yes it beeps and then let’s go of the brake. So if your not ready for that it will roll into the car in front.

My BMW, Acura and Lexus are not like that so when it happened to me in the Nissan I was surprised and had to quickly get my foot on the brake.
Old 02-23-22, 11:27 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Like most things you have to learn how to use it. Having said that I find it works well, very well. Yes on occasion I've had the brakes come on, but "slams", no, gently and you straight away override it. I've learnt that you don't allow the car to point directly towards the truck OR just be ready to give a touch of throttle the second the brakes do come on. This is not a self driving car, it's an assistance feature, the driver is still in control....always.

With regards to the cross traffic alert, it's flawless, works every time well before the car has reached me. maybe yours has issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
coolbrazz (02-24-22), jollick (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 12:23 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Like most things you have to learn how to use it. Having said that I find it works well, very well. Yes on occasion I've had the brakes come on, but "slams", no, gently and you straight away override it. I've learnt that you don't allow the car to point directly towards the truck OR just be ready to give a touch of throttle the second the brakes do come on. This is not a self driving car, it's an assistance feature, the driver is still in control....always.

With regards to the cross traffic alert, it's flawless, works every time well before the car has reached me. maybe yours has issues.
Learn how to use it? Don’t allow the car to point at the truck; are you serious? I would like to see in the owner’s manual where it says “point the car away from other vehicles in another lane”. The whole point of this thread is sometimes the brakes come on for no good reason, because the system is flawed. I agree that my rear cross traffic has issues, but Lexus doesn’t seem to think so. I’m happy for you that your’s works so flawlessly. I wish I could say the same!

I recommend this thread be closed, as we are beating a dead horse.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?