RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 06:12 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I set 3 bars for a relaxing drive on fairly empty freeway; 1 bar for congested commute to work. The 4RX has braked for me at low speed once or twice (not on cruise control), and it slows to a safe distance always on cruise control, but similar to having another driver, you will tend to react differently to how the cruise control would when it comes to "panic" situation. I think the 4RX will keep things safe, but drivers may choose to slow down and/or speed up in a slightly different way than the computer would.
Old 07-26-18, 08:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

MB distronics plus seems the best amongst all others. I use it on highway all the time. maintain set distance from a car in the front and speeds up to my max set speed or slow down to a stop when traffic stops. Still I pay due attention. Another feature I like is "hold brake". Don't have to have foot on the brake pedal when I stop for red light for an example. In slippery winter time I prefer to control speed and braking myself. Another feature is an ability to detect sleepy driver with loud warning beep. (I think the feature monitors the movement of driver's head)

Last edited by Htony; 07-27-18 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 03:42 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
MB distronics plus seems the best amongst all others. I use it on highway all the time. maintain set distance from a car in the front and speeds up to my max set speed or slow down to a stop when traffice
stops. Still I pay due attention. Another feature I like is "hold brake". Don't have to have foot on the brake pedal when I stop for red light for an example. In slippery winter time I prefer to control speed
and braking myself. Another feature is an ability to detect sleepy driver with loud warning beep. (I think the feature monitors the movement of driver's head)
we have all that in the RX,
not sure why you are still hanging around here, not much to offer, and slam the rx every chance you get. also you had a gen3 ? and not a 4th gen. could hop in the 3rx forum ??
just thinking out loud
The following 4 users liked this post by JSracer:
CharmCtyIS (07-31-18), GSFRX350 (07-27-18), mikemu30 (07-27-18), Rarebird (07-28-18)
Old 07-27-18, 06:38 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
we have all that in the RX,
not sure why you are still hanging around here, not much to offer, and slam the rx every chance you get. also you had a gen3 ? and not a 4th gen. could hop in the 3rx forum ??
just thinking out loud
Former Lexus owner or possible future owner again is not allowed to stay in Club Lexus? I never heard something like this for any other forums(MB, Audi, BMW plus many others, non-related to automobiles)

Last edited by Htony; 07-27-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-18, 08:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Former Lexus owner or possible future owner again is not allowed to stay in Club Lexus? I never heard something like this for any other forums(MB, Audi, BMW plus many others, non-related to automobiles)
He's just saying we are here to discuss our Lexus cars, not bash them and not brag how much better MB is or any other brand. We get it - you wanted "the best or nothing" congrats on that you got it.
The following users liked this post:
Rarebird (07-28-18)
Old 07-28-18, 09:50 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face

potentially you didn’t see how your post was not contributing to our discussion? Threadcrapping is frawned upon generally, and as I read your OP, you clearly did just that. If you don’t own the car, it’s fine to participate in general 4RX discussions, but this one is specific to owners of our gen car and we looking for feedback from owners who use cruise.
Old 07-31-18, 01:39 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually welcome comparisons from other brands. As Lexus owners who spent a large sum of money on an RX, I can understand most of us don't want to hear areas in which the RX is deficient. However, I am not brand loyal as I've owned about 10 brands. Since I am not all that happy with my RX, I want comparisons from other makes, so that hopefully I can make a better choice on my next car.
Old 08-01-18, 12:23 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

MB distronics plus seems the best amongst all others. I use it on highway all the time. maintain set distance from a car in the front and speeds up to my max set speed or slow down to a stop when traffic stops. Still I pay due attention. Another feature I like is "hold brake". Don't have to have foot on the brake pedal when I stop for red light for an example. In slippery winter time I prefer to control speed and braking myself. Another feature is an ability to detect sleepy driver with loud warning beep. (I think the feature monitors the movement of driver's head)
When I test drove a brand new GLE400, it had just been washed. Even so, the GLE prevented me from activating the system with an error message that the sensor was dirty and needed to be cleaned. So while I wasn't able to test the system, I was unimpressed by MB initial build quality and aging interior. Not sure I'd want to put my life or others at risk with an unreliable system (as I'm sure collision avoidance uses the same sensors).

The X5 was very aggressive and uncomfortable with the use of adaptive cruise control, and while the RX was not buttery smooth, you could tell that it erred on the side of safety, which is important as this is a relatively new technology.

Glad you like the MB system but you should probably back up the "why" with reasons other than features the RX already does. My two cents.
Old 08-01-18, 12:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Every car, every brand has it's issues. My boss's brand new MB AMG - the big SUV whatever they call it - week two of ownership had to be towed to the dealer. Bad sensor or something - who knows but you get the point.
Old 08-02-18, 01:25 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Every car, every brand has it's issues. My boss's brand new MB AMG - the big SUV whatever they call it - week two of ownership had to be towed to the dealer. Bad sensor or something - who knows but you get the point.
Of course, but the OP is asking specifically about the adaptive cruise control. Vibration and delayed shifts are considerably less frightening issues than failing sensors for example.

GLS is the biggest MB SUV. They mostly follow the A, C, E, S nomenclature of their cars but prefix their SUVs with GL, e.g. GLA, GLC, GLE, GLS, etc.
Old 08-05-18, 10:23 AM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nextcar
Let's say you are cruising at 75 MPH.
You can see in the distance that cars have slowed considerably.

With 1 bar, your Lexus will hurtle down the road at 75 MPH until you get very close to the car ahead, and slams on the brakes.

Very anxiety provoking. That's why I set it to 3 bars.
I have the exact same experience. Most of the time, I am able to brake before the ACC starts to slow down the car. ACC tends to slam brakes very abruptly and suddenly.
Old 08-07-18, 11:34 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting just-released IIHS study on driver assist technology and how they fare in the real world. Did not test Lexus (Tesla, BMW, MB, Volvo). Generally they perform but the study proves the need for driver vigilance.

IIHS Study
Old 08-23-19, 11:44 AM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control System Dangerous Failure

So this summer I drove our 19' RX 350 from VA to FL and back. I am a big fan of technology, so I used adaptive cruise control almost all the time. However, I ran into a situation three times where the system failed. It was during stop and go traffic. Speed was set to 60. The car was still and it sped up to close a gap opened by the the car in front of me moving forward then stopping. My car picked up speed, and continued to accelerate as if it couldn't see the car in front of it. Fortunately, the auto-braking system intervened and applied the brakes with the usual alarm avoiding an accident. This scared me and my family.

If this happened once, I would probably ignore it. But it happened 3 times. How is it possible that the cruise control was not able to see the car in front of me, and the auto braking system was able to? Are they not using the same camera and sensor?

In any case, this seriously shook my confidence in the system, and now I am reluctant to use it as I do not know if or when it might happen again. I had a higher expectation from a Lexus.
Old 08-23-19, 01:09 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by zaldwaik
So this summer I drove our 19' RX 350 from VA to FL and back. I am a big fan of technology, so I used adaptive cruise control almost all the time. However, I ran into a situation three times where the system failed. It was during stop and go traffic. Speed was set to 60. The car was still and it sped up to close a gap opened by the the car in front of me moving forward then stopping. My car picked up speed, and continued to accelerate as if it couldn't see the car in front of it. Fortunately, the auto-braking system intervened and applied the brakes with the usual alarm avoiding an accident. This scared me and my family.If this happened once, I would probably ignore it. But it happened 3 times. How is it possible that the cruise control was not able to see the car in front of me, and the auto braking system was able to? Are they not using the same camera and sensor?
In any case, this seriously shook my confidence in the system, and now I am reluctant to use it as I do not know if or when it might happen again. I had a higher expectation from a Lexus.
I don't trust the radar CC, so I just put it in regular cruise control mode and I decide when and how to slow down or speed up. Never had a problem.
Old 08-23-19, 01:57 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

What distance set were you on? I'm not comfortable on the minimum, most times the long setting slows me too soon, usually use mid-setting.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?