RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 08:09 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Have only had our 2017 RX for a few days. Radar CC is fine, but I am having trouble sorting through the menus to change the following distance and when it senses a car in front is going slower, the visual is not displayed long enough. I am sure I’ll grow into it, but right now I spend too much time punching buttons and looking at screens.
Old 10-21-19, 08:16 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The follow distance is on the steering wheel--right side, a little car with radar symbol on the front.
Old 10-21-19, 08:27 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I use my 2017 Lexus RX adaptive cruise control on most open highways. Usually set the following distance to the shortest setting using the instantly accessible steering wheel control to prevent cars from passing me and pulling in front of me. It also worked great on my 2105 RX. It does bring the car to a complete stop and safely disables itself during heavy rain. It's not perfect and is not powered by a human brain! I've never had it hard brake unnecessarily even on winding highways with different size vehicles in the opposite lane. Makes long trips much more relaxing!
Old 10-21-19, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
The follow distance is on the steering wheel--right side, a little car with radar symbol on the front.
This is the button to change the distance:

Old 10-21-19, 08:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I use my 2017 Lexus RX adaptive cruise control on most open highways. Usually set the following distance to the shortest setting using the instantly accessible steering wheel control to prevent cars from passing me and pulling in front of me. It also worked great on my 2105 RX. It does bring the car to a complete stop and safely disables itself during heavy rain. It's not perfect and is not powered by a human brain! I've never had it hard brake unnecessarily even on winding highways with different size vehicles in the opposite lane. Makes long trips much more relaxing!
I'm stunned to hear complaints about that system. "It's all your fault the Beatles broke up" UUUGGGHHHHHHH
Old 10-21-19, 08:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bsekf
Have only had our 2017 RX for a few days. Radar CC is fine, but I am having trouble sorting through the menus to change the following distance and when it senses a car in front is going slower, the visual is not displayed long enough. I am sure I’ll grow into it, but right now I spend too much time punching buttons and looking at screens.
Toggling among the following distances as traffic dictates is sort of a learned skill. We bought our first vehicle with DRCC in 2012. All our current vehicles now have it and using it has become second nature. I won't even rent a car that doesn't have adaptive cruise control which has become easy to do now that all current Toyotas have it.
Old 10-21-19, 09:07 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Darn! I thought I found it scrolling through the meter control switches. Is there a way to make the fisual of the car ahead display longer?

Bill
Old 10-21-19, 09:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bsekf
Darn! I thought I found it scrolling through the meter control switches. Is there a way to make the fisual of the car ahead display longer?

Bill
Three settings - short, medium and longest. I use the short option all the time and once you set it, it stays until the car is shut off.
Old 10-21-19, 11:28 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm stunned to hear complaints about that system. "It's all your fault the Beatles broke up" UUUGGGHHHHHHH
Ha, Ha! I found the system so flawed & intrusive that I will never own it! It scared the living ***** out of me more than once & I can’t have that. It’s great for stop & go traffic, but certainly NOT open highway with gentle curves. Lexus has tons of work to do on this awful system.

Has anyone noticed their rear cross traffic alert doesn’t pick up pedestrians & often times vehicles, until they are right behind your bumper? One dealer told me the system is working fine, but it almost never works at the grocery store parking lots. I thought that’s what that stupid system was for!!
Old 10-21-19, 11:39 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Ha, Ha! I found the system so flawed & intrusive that I will never own it! It scared the living ***** out of me more than once & I can’t have that. It’s great for stop & go traffic, but certainly NOT open highway with gentle curves. Lexus has tons of work to do on this awful system.
Has anyone noticed their rear cross traffic alert doesn’t pick up pedestrians & often times vehicles, until they are right behind your bumper? One dealer told me the system is working fine, but it almost never works at the grocery store parking lots. I thought that’s what that stupid system was for!!
I use the regular CC, not the radar, so can't comment.
The rear cross alert works great on mine. Only thing I can think of is your car is in the space far enough and if you have a couple of SUVs next to you, they might be blocking your alert system?
Old 10-21-19, 11:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Couldn't disagree more on ACC and rear cross traffic for me overly sensitive on both of our cars but I'll live with that. I use ACC routinely on the open highway and it's a pleasure quite frankly.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (10-21-19)
Old 10-21-19, 12:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I use the regular CC, not the radar, so can't comment.
The rear cross alert works great on mine. Only thing I can think of is your car is in the space far enough and if you have a couple of SUVs next to you, they might be blocking your alert system?
Not even sure that could be since the system seems to be able to see obstacles even around the cars parked adjacent. As I said, it's almost too sensitive in my experience.
Old 10-22-19, 06:24 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

You are talking about the adaptive cruise control aren't you? Set the speed and the car will keep the set speed/distance from the vehicle in front?

If so I find mine fantastic, works faultlessly, I spend a lot of time on freeway type roads and the system has never failed to slow correctly and accelerate back to the set speed seamlessly. I will say going over a sharp rise will have the car go over-speed for a few seconds but quickly brings it back down.

Why is it "intrusive", it's meant to take control so obviously it intrudes on your driving?

"Gentle curves" - the issue there? Obviously it works to a set speed so will try to keep that speed around the curve.
Old 10-22-19, 06:26 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1halifax
Does it light up the brake lights when it slows down to a complete stop?
Yes - the system will initially back off the throttle to slow, then change down gears to slow more then apply the brakes to slow further, at which point the brake lights come on.
Old 10-22-19, 06:33 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by B14Iron
I have a 2018 RX350L and experienced my first extended trip on the Interstate highways. The car performed very well except for one thing: the adaptive feature on the cruise control. For those who have not had this frustrating experience - the adaptive feature senses the car ahead of you and forces a deceleration to keep you well back. The deceleration is substantial and occurs about 300 feet or so from the lead vehicle and keeps you at least that far behind the lead vehicle. In fact, it keeps you so far back that another car can get in front of you which can slow you down even further. The sensor may react further back if the lead vehicle is larger, like a semi.
If you are in the right lane you can anticipate your car sensing the car in front of you and you can move into the passing lane. If you are in the passing lane and come close to the car in front of you, the adaptive feature will harshly slow you down. Besides the discomfort and the chance of getting rear ended, the space between you and the lead vehicle is enough to let one or two vehicles from the right lane move into the passing lane in front of you. And you slow down even further.
I am not writing about a crowded highway being in a line of traffic. . I'm writing about a situation where there are only a few cars involved. Picture being in sparse traffic and coming up on a semi and anticipating a smooth move to the passing lane. And boom - your speed goes from 75 to 65 in a nano second
The middle screen on the dash shows that the cruise control is on and when you approach a vehicle the screen will display an image of a car. Problem is, (1) the image is on about two seconds and (2) you have to be looking at the screen at the precise time it displays the icon to see it.
So,may question, can the adaptive feature on the cruse control be disabled? Can it be disabled without effecting the other safety features related to the sensing mechanism.
Appreciate any responses. Maybe other Lexus drivers have experienced this feature.
Driving too close to the vehicle ahead is a massive problem, here in Australia it's the most common crash that happens, nose to tail and most likely is common in the US. The system at "3 bars" is driving at the appropriate distance to stop the car if need be, a safe driving distance for most situations. I know you'd like to closer so that's when you can adjust it, but put it on "1 bar" and it's quite concerning how close the vehicles are and I start to think "will it stop in time" for my liking.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?