RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 02:40 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by glossom
ACC enables safer driving by monitoring other vehicles and objects on the road, adaptive cruise control enables a safe and comfortable driving experience. It does so by helping the driver keep a steady vehicle speed at a given moment. The car will brake and accelerate on its own, while maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front.Intelligent cruise control systems rely on the vehicle’s connectivity to obtain early warnings and adjust speed accordingly. The result is a safer and more comfortable journey for the driver and passengers. Also helps with driving strategy choices, such as selecting a safe speed for the upcoming bend. Helps with driving strategy choices at roundabouts and junctions, without cruise control cancellation (selecting a safe speed).
Read more here:
https://www.tomtom.com/blog/adas/wha...ruise-control/
We all have our opinions and here is mine: I completely disagree. I always want to have complete control over my car at all times. In my 58 years of driving I've never not been in control. And, roundabouts(traffic circles around here)would be the absolute last place I'd would ever use any kind of cruise control.
I use the normal CC only on highways.
Old 12-23-19, 02:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
We all have our opinions and here is mine: I completely disagree. I always want to have complete control over my car at all times. In my 58 years of driving I've never not been in control. And, roundabouts(traffic circles around here)would be the absolute last place I'd would ever use any kind of cruise control.
I use the normal CC only on highways.
completely agree - what sane driver would use cruise, adaptive or conventional on roads with traffic circles etc.
Old 12-23-19, 03:22 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by glossom
ACC enables safer driving by monitoring other vehicles and objects on the road, adaptive cruise control enables a safe and comfortable driving experience. It does so by helping the driver keep a steady vehicle speed at a given moment. The car will brake and accelerate on its own, while maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front.Intelligent cruise control systems rely on the vehicle’s connectivity to obtain early warnings and adjust speed accordingly. The result is a safer and more comfortable journey for the driver and passengers. Also helps with driving strategy choices, such as selecting a safe speed for the upcoming bend. Helps with driving strategy choices at roundabouts and junctions, without cruise control cancellation (selecting a safe speed).
Read more here:
https://www.tomtom.com/blog/adas/wha...ruise-control/
The RX though doesn't have a ACC that is adaptive for bends, RBs or intersections.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-23-19)
Old 12-24-19, 09:55 AM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I only use it for long trips with country roads/less cars. Set it to 3 bars and always keep my foot near the brake if the car gets too close or some bad drivers trying to merge/switch lanes too closely.
The following 2 users liked this post by RiceBanana:
GSFRX350 (12-24-19), ravenuer (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 10:53 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

I really like it and have never had a problem with it not doing the right thing. It is kind of fun on 2 lane roads to allow it to brake as a car ahead of me slows down or stops. On long stretches of interstates that are not busy I have to watch it as I approach a car ahead of me. If I am not paying attention it will adjust the speed to what the slower car in front of me is doing. I may not notice it for a while and then rather than going 75 I might be going 70. I have learned to get in the left lane when approaching a car so that I don't begin slowing down.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 11:58 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
I really like it and have never had a problem with it not doing the right thing. It is kind of fun on 2 lane roads to allow it to brake as a car ahead of me slows down or stops. On long stretches of interstates that are not busy I have to watch it as I approach a car ahead of me. If I am not paying attention it will adjust the speed to what the slower car in front of me is doing. I may not notice it for a while and then rather than going 75 I might be going 70. I have learned to get in the left lane when approaching a car so that I don't begin slowing down.
Exactly the same with me, the slowing down is so gradual you don't notice.
When the car "sees" the one in front the display shows you, at that point I change lanes and keep a constant speed.
Old 12-31-19, 08:56 AM
lomarica01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default use cruise control without adaptive feature?

Is there a way to use the cruise control but without the adaptive feature ie automatically slowing for a vehicle in front of you.
I find it too sensitive even on the least sensitive setting but still want to use just regular cruise control

thanks
Old 12-31-19, 12:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lomarica01
Is there a way to use the cruise control but without the adaptive feature ie automatically slowing for a vehicle in front of you.
I find it too sensitive even on the least sensitive setting but still want to use just regular cruise control

thanks
Press and hold the button an extra second or two. That engages conventional cruise with no radar.
Old 12-31-19, 12:59 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

In one of the last two episodes of Consumer Reports Talking Cars, they specifically mentioned there are numerous vehicles that are nearly out of control with the adaptive cruise by either being far too sensitive or not sensitive enough. There are no industry standards & every car appears to be different. They noticed that in a their test car driving in Connecticut stop & go traffic, even the shortest distance setting allows cars to dart in, from either left or right lanes, because the system doesn’t “see” the car darting in front. As far as I’m concerned, this equipment is still risky. It’s just like the self driving garbage that has killed people now. It’s not to be relied upon. Manufacturers must work together to reach a common standard like they did with seat belts & airbags.
Old 12-31-19, 02:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I use it routinely in both of our cars with no issues. Don't use it if you don't trust it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
GSFRX350 (12-31-19), rxtimes2 (01-01-20)
Old 12-31-19, 02:47 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I use it routinely in both of our cars with no issues. Don't use it if you don't trust it.
Don’t have it, don’t want it. Only the loaners had it & now I know how to disable it.
Old 01-04-20, 09:47 PM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nextcar
Whether you call it dynamic radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control, it is a standard equipment on the 4th gen RX. I've used it many times on the freeway, and it usually works pretty well. My question to everyone is: when the car ahead of you is going around 60+ MPH, and brakes and comes to a fairly quick stop, do you trust the RX to brake and stop for you?

I have always intervened, and braked on my own. Does anyone have experience in this kind of situation, and let the car do its thing?
I trust it 100% because it can react much faster than I can especially in high speed driving with lots of traffic. I now cruise on highway always with this radar cruise control on even if it's bumper to bumper traffic. It's lot less stressful with it on. I love it.
Old 01-07-20, 08:09 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have taken a "defensive driving course" the radar cruise will make you very nervous in stop and go driving. If a car is stopped in your lane you close way too fast and I can't keep my foot off the brake way before the RCC applies the brake. It does work and it is watching the road 24/7, but it makes me nervous. Wish it was there in the background so you could brake as well as accelerate without turning it off. It works but does not turn your Lexus into a self braking car because certain weather conditions will turn it off.

Bill
Old 08-02-20, 02:23 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
...... I've never even tried the Radar cruise. Too afraid since I have no experience with cruise control... I'm guessing it's gonna be next to useless on Toronto highways given the maniacs here :P
You have to try radar cruise -- it is amazing. Not perfect, but really a great feature if you need to spend more than 15 minutes on the freeway.
Old 08-02-20, 02:24 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
You have to try radar cruise -- it is amazing. Not perfect, but really a great feature if you need to spend more than 15 minutes on the freeway.
It's on the list... next time I'm on a country road somewhere - preferably with someone's company who knows what they're doing.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?