RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20 | 02:40 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by blayze1983
... next time I'm on a country road somewhere .....
On a country road, get behind another car and let radar cruise follow it until it comes to a stop sign or light, and let the radar cruise bring your car to a full stop, a safe distance behind the car ahead, and with you never touching the brake pedal. Truly impressive.
Old 08-02-20 | 03:36 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Got it thanks - then I definitely haven't felt lane centering since I've never even tried the Radar cruise. Too afraid since I have no experience with cruise control... I'm guessing it's gonna be next to useless on Toronto highways given the maniacs here :P
On occasion, I've used DRCC when the traffic is light on our highways and it works just fine. One of my biggest annoyances with DRCC is it's slow to resume speed, which is probably by design, but I always end up getting a maniac cutting in front of me on the 401/403.
Old 08-02-20 | 04:11 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
.... but I always end up getting a maniac cutting in front of me ....
Yep. That is an annoying result, in my case, of leaving it set at the default max following distance. I've contemplated setting it down to medium or even minimum, but every time I'm tempted, I consider that my 69-year old nerves may not be able to tolerate the drama. LOL
Old 08-02-20 | 04:13 PM
blayze1983
Driver

On occasion, I've used DRCC when the traffic is light on our highways and it works just fine. One of my biggest annoyances with DRCC is it's slow to resume speed, which is probably by design, but I always end up getting a maniac cutting in front of me on the 401/403.
Can't you adjust the following distance buffer to be shorter?
Old 08-02-20 | 04:21 PM
dibl
Instructor

U.S. models have 3 distance settings -- long, medium, and short.
Old 08-02-20 | 04:33 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

You can, but what I'm describing happens when say, the car in front of you is pulling away as congestion has eased up. With DRCC, you'll also start speeding up to your set speed and within the set distance of the vehicle in front, but it takes a while since the car isn't exactly flooring it. And every time this happens, someone ends up cutting in front of me so I don't even bother.

Granted, they should make a distance buffer specifically for Toronto highways aka the half-car distance so nobody can ever cut in front of you /s
Old 08-02-20 | 08:04 PM
lexusmi
Driver School Candidate

You can, but what I'm describing happens when say, the car in front of you is pulling away as congestion has eased up. With DRCC, you'll also start speeding up to your set speed and within the set distance of the vehicle in front, but it takes a while since the car isn't exactly flooring it. And every time this happens, someone ends up cutting in front of me so I don't even bother.

Granted, they should make a distance buffer specifically for Toronto highways aka the half-car distance so nobody can ever cut in front of you /s
I also find the slow DRCC resume after a full stop annoying, although I'm not too concerned about someone cutting in front of me, I'm just worried an impatient driver behind me would get upset. What I normally do is step on the gas pedal to help it, and it works very well. Good thing is, unlike applying the brake, applying the accelerator does not cancel the cruising mode.
Old 08-03-20 | 04:10 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Like others have said it is great for pretty open highway. If there is too much traffic it is not worth the effort due to gap fillers. I actually really do like it for the right trip and find that it works very well. Still prefer the cc controls on the steering wheel and not the stem and I guess Lexus is slowly moving it there.
Old 08-03-20 | 06:50 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

I rarely use it b/c it makes me uneasy. So I looked up how to use it the old fashion way and that's what I use.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-04-20)
Old 08-03-20 | 08:25 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

I use it when traveling long distances. The faster the cars on the road, the farther I set the distance between myself and the car in front of me. If the driver is too erratic, I quickly switch it off or move to another lane . I like the convenience and just allows me to relax more while on the road
Old 08-04-20 | 02:56 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

I never use cruse control because I hate all the down shifting and I don’t know what to do with my right foot. Will our system work in stop and go traffic? In a review of his Kia Doug DeMuro mentioned how he loves it’s adaptive cruise control during stop and go LA traffic and I thought that was actually a cool feature but I’ve honestly only tried out the RX’s during the initial test drive.
Old 08-04-20 | 03:48 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Will our system work in stop and go traffic?
Not well enough to bother with it, IMO. It's best on freeways and state highways, where it does a great job. It will do a good job of bringing the car to a full stop, if the car ahead stops, but the restart is not automatic and the rate of acceleration from a stop may be too slow for the other traffic.
Old 08-04-20 | 05:51 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by sejijohn
Been using the car for nearly 3 months and it has worked for me till now. However, I always keep my foot near to the brakes and also keep an eye on the screen just to make sure if it identifies the vehicle in front of me. I use adaptive cruise mostly on freeways.
I have been using it for almost 3 years. I to keep my foot near the brake. I set it at 1 bar and have driven long distances in medium traffic without having to hit the brake. My nervousness level is about the same with regular cruise.
Old 08-04-20 | 09:23 AM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Currently there is no manufacturer that’s able to make their cars to stop safely while approaching stationary objects in high speed. Technology simply isn’t there yet. ENCAP did a comparison test on this.
Old 08-04-20 | 07:19 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

I really enjoy the ACC....so smooth I sometimes, maybe often times, don’t notice it has slowed me down below my intended speed for a prolonged period of time. I primarily use the single bar for distance, with 2 bars being secondary.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?