RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 head-liner workmanship

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 02:01 AM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... I would have never noticed but mine is like this as well. Really rough edge running along the front.

Will look forward to hearing what everyone's experiences are with the dealer. I'm assuming since it's an out of site area the dealers aren't going to care or want to do anything about it.

On a slightly separate note, I've noticed that when my sunroof is open I get pretty bad wind vibration. I have the panoramic roof. I know the reflector that powers up front when the roof is opened is supposed to solve this issue. I've come to realize that the reflector goes up about 2-3 mm short each time. You would think this doesn't make a difference, but if I reach my hand up and pop it the rest of the way the vibration vanishes. I'm planning on asking the dealer if there is anyway they can ensure reflector goes up all the way on it's own so that I don't have to pop it up myself each time. You can barely notice the difference visually, but man can you hear the difference when driving.
Old 02-22-18, 08:48 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
On a slightly separate note, I've noticed that when my sunroof is open I get pretty bad wind vibration. I have the panoramic roof. I know the reflector that powers up front when the roof is opened is supposed to solve this issue. I've come to realize that the reflector goes up about 2-3 mm short each time. You would think this doesn't make a difference, but if I reach my hand up and pop it the rest of the way the vibration vanishes. I'm planning on asking the dealer if there is anyway they can ensure reflector goes up all the way on it's own so that I don't have to pop it up myself each time. You can barely notice the difference visually, but man can you hear the difference when driving.
My last 4 cars have had sun roofs and all of them at speeds over 50 mph or so have had wind vibration unless I cracked open the rear windows.
Old 02-22-18, 09:47 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow... I would have never noticed but mine is like this as well. Really rough edge running along the front.

Will look forward to hearing what everyone's experiences are with the dealer. I'm assuming since it's an out of site area the dealers aren't going to care or want to do anything about it.

Personally, I think the head liner work is poor to the level of a defect. In the long run, since there is nothing to hold the exposed edge down, it will peel over and create problem. Your observation on the wind deflector is news to me. I will check to see if I can push that thing up to cut down wind noise. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-22-18, 01:39 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

add mine to the list of the front headliner. i have the pano roof.
Old 02-23-18, 12:17 PM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My headliner is also like this, feels horrible. The other areas of the headliner are nicely tucked. I have the pano roof.
Old 02-23-18, 03:26 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, have it too on our 2017 450h lux pano. It looks like the fabric is stretched and glued over a conforming shell that someone on the line took a utility knife and hacked away at it to perhaps shortcut installation. Now, I'm not to concerned with it as it is hidden, but when I reach up the jagged fibrous shell can stick fiber bits into my fingers. Not cool. And, like others here I do expect properly finished bits on this category of vehicle. GSFRX350 exhibits the proper edge for this piece. Also, note how in GSFRX350's photo the cut for the tab shows a curved cut whereas mine shows line, the curve is to prevent future tearing at that intersection; the tear, as in mine, promotes future tearing of the lining material. I doubt the dealer will replace the entire headliner as that constitutes a substantial amount of work. I'm pondering how to remedy this matter myself. Personally, I do not care for sunroofs and prefer the extra headroom without a sunroof—my wife thinks otherwise.

Old 02-23-18, 05:22 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Mine's good
GSFRX350, do you have the pano roof, or the "regular" moon roof?
Also, is your RX's VIN starts with a J ?
It looks to me like you have an FSport (?)
Thanks
Old 02-23-18, 05:26 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

CaliTravel, I can't move the wind reflector at all on my RX. It is solidly open and can't be moved up as you described. Check with your dealer in case you have a loose screw or two. Good luck.
Old 02-23-18, 07:20 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ut2sua
GSFRX350, do you have the pano roof, or the "regular" moon roof?
Also, is your RX's VIN starts with a J ?
It looks to me like you have an FSport (?)
Thanks
Yes F Sport with pano roof - I'm in Australia so we only get the good ones, from Japan
Old 02-24-18, 03:38 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Yes F Sport with pano roof - I'm in Australia so we only get the good ones, from Japan
OK. Thanks. The strange thing is: my 2017 ES350, which is made in the US, has the headliner done properly at the similar spot. Lexus is cutting corner with the RX in North America. That is not a good idea.
Old 02-24-18, 03:49 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

OK. Thanks. The strange thing is: my 2017 ES350, which is made in the US, has the headliner done properly at the similar spot. Lexus is cutting corner with the RX in North America. That is not a good idea.
The ES is made in Kentucky, correct? As you'd know the RX is Canadian. Seems a lot of issues with the RX - appears something has changed at that factory as great cars, I believe, were coming out of there previously. Maybe there's been a change in management, cost cutting short cuts, who knows, but definitely quality issues which I hope for you guys in North America they sort out.
Old 02-24-18, 03:58 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

The ES is made in Kentucky, correct? As you'd know the RX is Canadian. Seems a lot of issues with the RX - appears something has changed at that factory as great cars, I believe, were coming out of there previously. Maybe there's been a change in management, cost cutting short cuts, who knows, but definitely quality issues which I hope for you guys in North America they sort out.
Yes, my wife ES was made in Kentucky, and the car was running flawlessly. I have also heard previously that the Canadian factory was putting out good RXs. Reputation takes a long time to build and a short time to destroy. Lexus has better clean up their act very quickly.
Old 03-03-18, 10:55 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Unhappy Lexus won't fix

I brought my RX to the dealership last week to fix a few issues. Mentioned the headliner cutting our fingers to the service adviser. He agreed it looks not properly done so he contacted Lexus. The final answer I got from him was: my RX is the same as other RXs (not a surprise to all of us here), so Lexus won't fix it. The dealer filed down the sharp edges from the harden headliner material that cut our fingers earlier. I guess if a defect is universal, it is not a defect. I think we need more complain from owners to get a fix from Lexus. My service adviser told me if there is a fix in the future, he will let me know
Old 03-03-18, 12:32 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Where i live in the US, there are RXs made in Japan, but they all have fewer option than the ones in Canada. Not sure if the rest of US/Canada has the same thing.
Old 03-03-18, 08:49 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I brought my RX to the dealership last week to fix a few issues. Mentioned the headliner cutting our fingers to the service adviser. He agreed it looks not properly done so he contacted Lexus. The final answer I got from him was: my RX is the same as other RXs (not a surprise to all of us here), so Lexus won't fix it. The dealer filed down the sharp edges from the harden headliner material that cut our fingers earlier. I guess if a defect is universal, it is not a defect. I think we need more complain from owners to get a fix from Lexus. My service adviser told me if there is a fix in the future, he will let me know
Thank you for sharing this. And hopefully this will give a "heads up" to prospective buyers on making sure the unit they are planning on buying is finished accordingly. And hopefully, this will give a cue to the dealership and Lexus to fix them or they won't sell at all.

Quick Reply: RX 350 head-liner workmanship