RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 head-liner workmanship

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 06:32 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same bad finish on the head liner on the pano roof. I feel like paid money for the Lexus pursuit of perfection and got the pursuit of half-*** job.
Mine is made in Canada and it is the 2017 RX Canadian Executive model.
Old 03-07-18, 06:42 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
My last 4 cars have had sun roofs and all of them at speeds over 50 mph or so have had wind vibration unless I cracked open the rear windows.
That's something else, entirely. What you're hearing/feeling is the open roof acting much like a giant speaker at very low frequency.

This is why every car I've seen with a power sun/moon roof stops a couple of inches short of fully open as the default. This change in airflow path is enough to prevent the thrumming which occurs when it's open all the way.
Old 03-09-18, 07:51 PM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
I have the same bad finish on the head liner on the pano roof. I feel like paid money for the Lexus pursuit of perfection and got the pursuit of half-*** job.
Mine is made in Canada and it is the 2017 RX Canadian Executive model.
i found the same poor finish of the headliner on my 2016 F Sport this evening. Fantastic.
Old 03-10-18, 08:15 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to know if Lexus has done anything about this? Is it the Canadian assembly plant workers installing this badly or suppliers furnishing faulty parts? Maybe a bad design? Poor inspection process at the plant perhaps? Sunroofs and headliners have been around for quite a long time, seems like something as simple as should not even be an issue. So disappointed to hear of this.
Old 03-10-18, 08:51 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Identical problem on the new-to-us 2017 base w/pano roof.
Old 03-10-18, 08:54 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headliner

Same issue on 2017 RX350 F-Sport with pano. Rough enough to cut your finger if you are not careful. Going into for warranty work on Wednesday to point this issue out as well. I do have a few other issues to resolve.

wonder if an upholstery edge trim would solve/cover the sharp/rough edge and look/feel professionally done?

Last edited by SCRXOwner; 03-10-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 11:26 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by goatee
I would like to know if Lexus has done anything about this? Is it the Canadian assembly plant workers installing this badly or suppliers furnishing faulty parts? Maybe a bad design? Poor inspection process at the plant perhaps? Sunroofs and headliners have been around for quite a long time, seems like something as simple as should not even be an issue. So disappointed to hear of this.
Absolutely disappointing! I wonder if this is confined only to 2T VIN's?
Old 03-10-18, 03:53 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Absolutely disappointing! I wonder if this is confined only to 2T VIN's?
Did you see my photo on page 1 of this thread - Japan built.
Old 03-11-18, 12:18 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Did you see my photo on page 1 of this thread - Japan built.
I did. So that means this poor workmanship is confined to 2T VINs only. I got a JT VIN ( 4RX350 Base Model) and yes, the front headliner is tucked in well.
Old 03-11-18, 11:55 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
Same issue on 2017 RX350 F-Sport with pano. Rough enough to cut your finger if you are not careful. Going into for warranty work on Wednesday to point this issue out as well. I do have a few other issues to resolve.

wonder if an upholstery edge trim would solve/cover the sharp/rough edge and look/feel professionally done?
Please let everyone know how things go regarding the headliner after your visit. Thanks.
Old 03-12-18, 03:49 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I did. So that means this poor workmanship is confined to 2T VINs only. I got a JT VIN ( 4RX350 Base Model) and yes, the front headliner is tucked in well.
do you have the pano roof, on your base model ??
Old 03-12-18, 08:32 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

My 450h with regular sunroof also has a pretty rough cut. It was built in Canada.
Old 03-13-18, 12:03 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I checked mine, base RX with regular moonroof, made in Canada. It is the same as OP's picture. At least the cut is pretty straight.
Old 03-14-18, 05:08 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just returned from dealership. The jagged head line is common on other RX according to my dealership. So no defect detected. I thank a strip of upholstery trim might hide the jagged cut. Will have to make sure it will allows the shade to close.

I did did let the dealership know that a 60k RX should be finished with more perfection in mind. The service writer implied since it cannot be seen then it should not be a problem. I wonder if that goes for all other workmanship that cannot be seen. Ouch.....

My loner 2017 RX with moon roof (not. Pano) was smooth on the edge when I reached up to test it.

Was as the consensus that only Pano roofs had jagged edges?
Old 03-14-18, 09:07 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
Just returned from dealership. The jagged head line is common on other RX according to my dealership. So no defect detected. I thank a strip of upholstery trim might hide the jagged cut. Will have to make sure it will allows the shade to close.

I did did let the dealership know that a 60k RX should be finished with more perfection in mind. The service writer implied since it cannot be seen then it should not be a problem. I wonder if that goes for all other workmanship that cannot be seen. Ouch.....

My loner 2017 RX with moon roof (not. Pano) was smooth on the edge when I reached up to test it.

Was as the consensus that only Pano roofs had jagged edges?
I guess with the defect being throughout the 2T VINS it's been presumed to be norm. This is of course, until you see the JT VINS which are tucked in well. It's kinda worrying that in the future all 2T VINS will only be driving with three wheels and will be presumed normal while the rest of the same model from other manufacturing sites are still on 4 wheels. What a lame excuse. Like we the customers cannot tell a half-moon job from one that is perfect and excellent.

Quick Reply: RX 350 head-liner workmanship