RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission fluid change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-24, 06:48 AM
GoBose
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lifetime Fluids - Not exactly.

Lexus gives you a 70K / 6 year Powertrain Warranty.

That's your lifetime.

I do complete fluid changes every 5 years or 35K miles.

Coolant, Transmission Flush, Differential, Transfer Case.

Flush! Yes, if you change it every 30K, there is ZERO chance of it clogging.

Aisin Wagner Transmission Fluid. https://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/p...atf/index.html

Motul Diff and Transfer Case. https://shopmotul.com/automotive/gear-oil/

The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (06-13-24)
Old 06-15-24, 03:45 PM
monju0525
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richard203
i dont think its part of the service. my dealer charged me $250 for tranny drain n fill
The Toyota dealer did a spill&fill on my 21 RX350 @17k and I supplied the three gaskets, boutique
HPL green cc atf $60/gal. The dealer charged $90. Lexus dealer charges too much.

I also did the transfer case, rear differential oil and supplied the Mobil 1 Delvac 75w-90 with 4.6% Redline friction modifier (unnecessary and just had it around). My independent garage did it for $85.

Last edited by monju0525; 06-15-24 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-15-24, 06:46 PM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by monju0525
On my 21 RX8350 with 17K miles, I want to a drain/fill with either HPL green or Redline D6. Both are Toyota WS compatible. Replacing 4qts out of 7,2 qts,
The warranty runs out In March 2027. That is almost 3years away. I like to address the Toyota WS early and get it out of the way. I am even thinking going with HPL Green or Redline D6 (which are in the basement.

Has anyone used HPL ATF green or Redline D6 in a RX350 U881F transmission? Any issues? Any performance shifting changes?
I put in Redline D6 in my Toyota Venza V6 U661 transmission and it work great at 120k. Real smooth.
At 30K I do a full Transmission Flush.

Therefore, there is zero chance of any clogging but the fluid is fully renewed.

If you do a drain and fill, I would stick with Toyota OEM fluid and not mix with aftermarket.

As a complete flush its fine but not as a partial.

Yes, it's WS fluid but... I wouldn't mix it.
ravenuer (06-16-24)
Old 06-15-24, 07:19 PM
tempdownload
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBose
Lexus gives you a 70K / 6 year Powertrain Warranty.

That's your lifetime.

I do complete fluid changes every 5 years or 35K miles.

Coolant, Transmission Flush, Differential, Transfer Case.

Flush! Yes, if you change it every 30K, there is ZERO chance of it clogging.

Aisin Wagner Transmission Fluid. https://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/p...atf/index.html

Motul Diff and Transfer Case. https://shopmotul.com/automotive/gear-oil/

Where did you buy Aisin Wagner Transmission Fluid?

Old 06-16-24, 04:27 AM
monju0525
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoBose
At 30K I do a full Transmission Flush.

Therefore, there is zero chance of any clogging but the fluid is fully renewed.

If you do a drain and fill, I would stick with Toyota OEM fluid and not mix with aftermarket.

As a complete flush its fine but not as a partial.

Yes, it's WS fluid but... I wouldn't mix it.
I usually do a flush but with 17k, I went the more economical route and doing what BITOG do.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...2#post-6919208
Old 06-16-24, 04:12 PM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by tempdownload
Where did you buy Aisin Wagner Transmission Fluid?
In the Toyota can or in bulk with Independent dealers.

A true flush is only possible with the needed equipment.

Around $5K in cost .

If you have 40K+ on that Transmission, I would stick with drain and fill.

By 60K, forget it. The fluid is very dirty and could clog.

I go 30K and have it flushed. Never an issue.
Old 07-11-24, 07:07 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission fluid exchange?

2019 Lexus RX350 F-Sport

We took the vehicle in for its routine 40k mile service. Not much gets done here but I asked the dealer about doing a transmission fluid exchange since we drive mostly city, stop and go traffic.

He said Lexus doesn't recommend changing the fluid. He said they don't even have a way to do a fluid exchange. He said if it ain't broke don't fix it but that's not how I work. 👍🏻

What's your opinion on this?

Whats the power train warranty on these suckers?
Old 07-11-24, 10:27 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 457 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
2019 Lexus RX350 F-Sport

We took the vehicle in for its routine 40k mile service. Not much gets done here but I asked the dealer about doing a transmission fluid exchange since we drive mostly city, stop and go traffic.

He said Lexus doesn't recommend changing the fluid. He said they don't even have a way to do a fluid exchange. He said if it ain't broke don't fix it but that's not how I work. 👍🏻

What's your opinion on this?

Whats the power train warranty on these suckers?
Scroll up. There are a million opinions on this topic like oil changes and fuel grade.

The bottom line is that if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond say 100,000 miles, then a one time drain and fill at each 50 - 60,000 mile intervals is probably a good idea.
If you turn your car over b/f 100,000 miles then you will never have a problem (but the next guy might).

I questioned the lifetime fluid with my wife's 4Runner when I noticed that it had never been done by 140,000 miles (she handled the maintenance). By around 200,000 miles it started to slip and Toyota said that it was beyond the warranty.
I had an Acura that I did transmission fluid drain and fill at 50k intervals and sold the car at 305,000 and it ran perfectly.

Check out Viktor and Care Car Nut video links above.

If you are at all DIY then the job is pretty easy. Dealerships can and do the service b/c it is listed as a maintenance service item if you tow....so if your shop won't then take it to a Toyota dealership...or just tell them that you tow. BTW, use OEM fluid.
ravenuer (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 11:23 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

If you decide to change the fluid, just don't go to the dealer who doesn't know how to do it.
Fully agree with Quantum501.
Old 07-13-24, 11:04 AM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If you decide to change the fluid, just don't go to the dealer who doesn't know how to do it.
Fully agree with Quantum501.
Find an independent dealer that has a transmission fluid flush machine (BG makes one and others).

Takes out over 95% of the old and replaces it with the exact same amount. No guesswork.

Ask them to use this Toyota OEM Fluid: Aisin Wagner Transmission Fluid.
https://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/p...atf/index.htm

That's Toyota OEM fluid and it's a Aisin Transmission.

I flush mine every 30K with little to no chance of it clogging.

30-40K should be a safe range for a Flush.

Beyond that, and I would do a drain/fill with ONLY Toyota/Aisin fluid.
Old 07-19-24, 11:37 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts
Exclamation Looking for some quick advice on tranmission fluid drain/fill

I just completed a drain/fill of my 2020 RX350 (63,000 miles) using the Viktor G procedure and think I have a problem. I had the vehicle as level as possible and the final level setting was done in the 100-104 range using the OBD Fusion software and a Vgate OBDII device. I'm not convinced the fluid level is set right, though, as I think it has about 1/4 qt less in it now than it did before the procedure. Here's my math and procedure:
  • Initial drain: ~3.15 qt measured in a 5qt measuring bucket. I didn't spill more than a few drops outside the bucket.
  • Filled with ~3.78qt of Toyota ATF WS fluid.
  • Started the vehicle and connected the Fusion software. A/T fluid temp was already at 98F (hot here today). I cycled through Reverse/Neutral/Drive/Park (loud clunk when shifting into Drive - not sure what that was.)
  • I opened the drain tube plug and it drained ~ .9qt before starting to sputter a little and replaced the drain tube plug.
It appears to me that I replaced only about 2.9 qt of the 3.15qt I drained, making it ~ .25 qt low.

What do guys think? Am I ok? If it was your vehicle what you do now?

Last edited by bamalam; 07-19-24 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-19-24, 12:24 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 457 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
What do guys think? Am I ok? If it was your vehicle what you do now?
I think I recall that you bought the car new, so we are assuming that the level was set correctly at the factory. If it was purchased used, you have no idea if the level was correct to begin with.

I would assume that there is some variation in your measurements (using a bucket vs graduated cylinder), as well as what constitutes a "trickle". CCN video shows him closing up drain with slightly more flow than Viktor. So I think that you have some wiggle room and don't need to get the exact volume down to the oz. Also, the temp range will have some variability, so exchanging on the low end of the temp range will have a different level from the high range. I would think that if you did the exchange in the proper range and have a close volume before and after, that you are fine. I don't recall the total volume of ATF in the RX, but remember that you are only exchanging a small percentage overall.

I would be comfortable with your numbers if it were my car, but you can always repeat if it is going to drive you crazy. Good luck.
Old 07-19-24, 01:52 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
I think I recall that you bought the car new, so we are assuming that the level was set correctly at the factory. If it was purchased used, you have no idea if the level was correct to begin with.

I would assume that there is some variation in your measurements (using a bucket vs graduated cylinder), as well as what constitutes a "trickle". CCN video shows him closing up drain with slightly more flow than Viktor. So I think that you have some wiggle room and don't need to get the exact volume down to the oz. Also, the temp range will have some variability, so exchanging on the low end of the temp range will have a different level from the high range. I would think that if you did the exchange in the proper range and have a close volume before and after, that you are fine. I don't recall the total volume of ATF in the RX, but remember that you are only exchanging a small percentage overall.

I would be comfortable with your numbers if it were my car, but you can always repeat if it is going to drive you crazy. Good luck.
Thanks for the quick response, @Quantum501 . You are right; I bought the RX new and this was the first transmission service. It appears from a search that the total transmission capacity is 7.2qt, so 1/4qt is only ~ 3.5% of the total volume. I'm not an automotive engineer, but a +/- 5% capacity variance would seem acceptable to this layman.

I considered redoing the procedure, as I have 4 more quarts of AT fluid on hand. However, 1) I don't know that I'd get a different result and 2) I don't know that sequential drain/fills are a good idea. Taking your thoughts into consideration, I decided to split the difference and added ~ 4oz into the fill hole and not redo the level check. I'm going to button it up and take it for a test drive now. Hopefully my biggest problem is OCD. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Quantum501 (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 10:20 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

As long as the vehicle is leveled, drain the excess to a trickle before it reaches to 113F you should be fine. And dont worry more because that is the official procedure.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS4_Fiend:
bamalam (07-23-24), ravenuer (07-20-24)
Old 08-08-24, 09:25 PM
Rx350driver
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Change your tranny fluid!

Originally Posted by macdee
I was talking to my dealership service engineer (in Japan) the other day (had a 6 months checkup), and he said that even though Lexus recommends 15000km, he personally thinks 10000km is a better idea, since at 15000km the oil gets noticeably dirty. So I'll go with 10000km interval. Better spend money on oil than on fixing the engine

In other news, it looks like ATF (transmission fluid) doesn't need any maintenance AT ALL for 4RX and basically any Toyota cars build in last 3-4 years (speaking of Japan though, so ymmv)
The lifetime fluid is BS, nothing is lifetime. I just did a drain and fill at 100k miles, will do another in 10k miles. This way, my tranny doesn't blow up at 150k miles. What does Toyota define as "lifetime", the powertrain warranty period?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (merged threads)