RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission fluid change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 08:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
New to the forum and first time Lexus owner coming from an '09 RAV4. Bought a 2016 RX350/FWD/Silver/Base model at 36k miles. Attempting to do an ATF drain and fill this week (any tips and tricks are most appreciated). I'm a gearhead and did all the work by myself on the RAV and it was running as good as new when I traded it in at 153k miles. Planning on the same with the RX. Wish me luck
Let us know if your able to change the transmission fluid easily. I was told it shouldn’t be changed until 100k and it’s not easy on the RX? always changed every 30k on my old Lexus so I’d like to do it as well.
Old 12-24-19, 08:50 AM
guan01
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They recommand tap off all oil level every 5k. Not sure about transmission oil, but engine oil you should check every 5k make sure its fill. My other car, in about every 8K its telling me that my engine oil level is low. Got my 2017 RX450 new but no Apple car play avail at that year, I do not like the Lexus GPS build-in.
Old 05-03-20, 08:30 PM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Began drain and refill on our 2017 rx 350 f sport this past weekend. Assumed that it would have same atf layout as our 2016 Toyota highlander, though there were differences in the drain plug which is a two part plug with center drain screw within larger plug. Anyhow, after removing drain screw exactly one quart drained out. Didn't have time to remove the larger drain bolt or look for drain straw since it wasn't what I was expecting and didn't have right hex bolt to get out larger bolt etc.

If anyone else has done this procedure would be great to hear if same warm up procedure is used to check level as previous models and if in fact there is a drain level straw in this model?

Old 05-04-20, 05:20 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 457 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 10000rpms
Began drain and refill on our 2017 rx 350 f sport this past weekend. Assumed that it would have same atf layout as our 2016 Toyota highlander, though there were differences in the drain plug which is a two part plug with center drain screw within larger plug. Anyhow, after removing drain screw exactly one quart drained out. Didn't have time to remove the larger drain bolt or look for drain straw since it wasn't what I was expecting and didn't have right hex bolt to get out larger bolt etc.

If anyone else has done this procedure would be great to hear if same warm up procedure is used to check level as previous models and if in fact there is a drain level straw in this model?
The Gen 4 transmissions use a more traditional drain and fill procedure (I am not talking about a machine flush which I would never do). I purchased a two day subscription from TIS online manual and downloaded all basic maintenance. According to TIS for a 2020 you simply remove drain plug, drain and measure, and then replace same amount (there are temperature considerations that if warm you must change fluid within a temperature range....several YouTube videos on this). They did not indicate how much fluid (on other vehicles I typically got about 3 quarts out, but it was an Acura, so not comparable). Then start car and run through the gears slowly...let sit for 30 seconds then turn off. Repeat 2 more times. If you have access to Techstream, you can get the transmission fluid temperature and do the change within the temperature range recommended, but I have seen videos of people doing with fluid cool and therefore just replace same amount. The TIS subscription for limited downloads is worth the minimal cost....or get the pirated software and cable for TechStream cheap (not endorsing this method).

Old 05-04-20, 04:03 PM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

Never heard of TIS, will check it out, thank you.

This is a 4th gen rx350 f sport... Exactly 1qt drained out after removing the check screw.

I'm going to order more atf so ready to get into drain/fill again this weekend. Will report back what happens since I haven't been able to find anyone else going through this procedure on this generation.

Cheers,
Old 05-05-20, 08:35 AM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

Does the tech stream software have the service bulletins in it, ie how to drain and fill etc, thank you
Old 05-05-20, 08:56 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Does the tech stream software have the service bulletins in it, ie how to drain and fill etc, thank you
I am not sure but I would imagine that the TIS system has all of the current updates to service bulletins....see 2nd link below for what is included.

TIS gives you access to all repair procedures/components/torque specs....it is a full service manual for DIY and professional technicians. I got the 2 day subscription and downloaded all of the Doc files that I would normally want....all fluids, brakes (tricky since the electronic parking brake has to be retracted when working on rear brakes).

The addition of the OBDII cable (special connector from port to PC) allows the software to gather real time data (and I believe 2 way communications) to assist in service. For example, Techstream connected to your OBDII port can find transmission fluid temperatures real time to assist in when to do the service outlined in the TIS Documents.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...tis&_nfpb=true

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...ent&_nfpb=true

There are a couple of ways to get access. The most expensive is to get the full subscription and the full software and the proper cable (cable alone is couple hundred bucks I think). They also have a lite version. In addition, many people use a hacked route getting the cable and I assume hacked software for like $75 on eBay or Amazon (although amazon seems to have stopped this or the providers are out of stock).

If you just want to find out how to do basic work on your car, YouTube and/or a 2 day standard subscription for $20 is probably more than enough. I know people go the hacked route to make new keys for much less than a dealer would charge.

My RX is new and although I normally put on 2000 - 3000 per month in a normal year, my RX only has 1500 miles in 3 months. So service is a long way out. When I eventually get to working on my own car I was going to do some "How to DIY" guides for the DIY thread. The thread is kinda hidden here. My old Acura forum has a Problems and Fixes Category right on the main page and people would post their car problems and get fixes all in one area. They also had a "Garage" where everyone would post very detailed step by step repair procedures with pictures and/or video of how to do a ton of jobs. Hope to add some of those type threads to this forum.

Last edited by Quantum501; 05-05-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 10:15 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

This is the correct way to do a check or a full ATF exchange on Toyota/Lexus.

That's why my dealer uses a MOC machine, nobody, well at least 90% of people, would not go through this.

No wonder most people do a D & F instead!
The following users liked this post:
10000rpms (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 01:14 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocal
This is the correct way to do a check or a full ATF exchange on Toyota/Lexus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg

That's why my dealer uses a MOC machine, nobody, well at least 90% of people, would not go through this.

No wonder most people do a D & F instead!
Isn't this on the last generation? I think on the old system you had to drop the pan, change the internal filter and use that straw thing. God, I wish that they would just go back to the traditional pan WITH a dipstick....so much easier. No one actually believes in Lifetime Fluid.
The following users liked this post:
10000rpms (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 01:51 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Isn't this on the last generation? I think on the old system you had to drop the pan, change the internal filter and use that straw thing. God, I wish that they would just go back to the traditional pan WITH a dipstick....so much easier. No one actually believes in Lifetime Fluid.
Alas no it's the current one! At least till 2018. This must have been borne out of a brain with nothing else to do, but how to make things next to impossible for a DIY or even an indie mechanic. How I wish we could go back to the dipstick.
By what I hear, even dealers don't use this procedure and I can well see why (time & cost).
Old 05-05-20, 06:23 PM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

Yes, this 4th Gen RX350 F sport has the drain tube I can now confirm. Same old procedure.

The drain/fills are tedious. If they take away the dipstick at least they could have added a port on the transmission to vacuum out all the fluid for a complete refill. Perhaps maintenance comes
last on the drawing board when engineering these parts. Just slapping lifetime fluid label on it will make the problem go away

Big thanks for the TIS heads up, and esp the mention of needing it for the rear brakes. After reading that post it occurred to me that this vehicle has an automatic electronic parking brake, and
since I like to do my own brake jobs that the brake will need to be released somehow! Cheers,
Old 05-06-20, 04:01 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Yes, this 4th Gen RX350 F sport has the drain tube I can now confirm. Same old procedure.

The drain/fills are tedious. If they take away the dipstick at least they could have added a port on the transmission to vacuum out all the fluid for a complete refill. Perhaps maintenance comes
last on the drawing board when engineering these parts. Just slapping lifetime fluid label on it will make the problem go away

Big thanks for the TIS heads up, and esp the mention of needing it for the rear brakes. After reading that post it occurred to me that this vehicle has an automatic electronic parking brake, and
since I like to do my own brake jobs that the brake will need to be released somehow! Cheers,
Well there are several good videos on YouTube that take you through the transmission fluid service with the straw method. Confusing since there is the overflow plug and then the drain plug.
Regarding the rear brakes, there are a couple of ways to retract the electronic emergency brake. You can apply voltage to the unit and retract or you can use a Torx and manually retract.....I am going the manual route when the time comes. Again, both are shown on YouTube and are pretty straight forward. Good luck and if/when you do these job please take notes (and maybe pictures) and we can build a good DIY section in this forum.

Last edited by Quantum501; 05-06-20 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 02:41 PM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

We have a 2018 RX350 and it has the atf drain tube, does the 2020 not have this same setup? Curious....
Old 05-06-20, 04:11 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

We have a 2018 RX350 and it has the atf drain tube, does the 2020 not have this same setup? Curious....
I think that my 2020 still has the overflow straw, but I do not have the pan/filter that you have to drop and replace. I think that they changed in 2016. So when I get to this (in about 3 years) I would remove plug and then straw and drain fluid. Replace, go through gears, and repeat. So much easier with a dipstick. I would drain about 3 - 3.5 quarts. Replace through dipstick tube. Drive car for a few days to a week (few hundred miles) and then repeat 2 times, so 3 flushes of 3+ quarts each. Most of the fluid by then is pretty new. Acura TL transmission has over 300,000 miles and runs like a dream. Super easy and quick.
Old 05-06-20, 04:52 PM
10000rpms
Driver School Candidate

300,000 miles is awesome. We had a 2010 tsx that i still miss.

Our 2018 rx350 f sport is just over 50k miles and just trying to be proactive in starting the drain fills at the next few oil changes. Btw, using a vaccum pump through dipstick tube for oil changes and it's a dream. Change synthetic long life oil filter every other.

FYI, I have been using ravenol full synthetic atf ws for atf drain/fill in 4th gen lexus rx and 2016 Toyota highlander with no issues. I know there is some trepidation on mixing with oem atf ws on some of the threads I've read, though I haven't had any hiccups.

Cheers,

​​

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (merged threads)