RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission fluid change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 06:00 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Yeah....I guess that you have to get the standard basic subscription for those....table in link in post #52 shows what comes with it.

As far as the cable and software. It is very appealing but the cheap software is all pirated and can be full of viruses. I have been researching how to do this without destroying my computer. Cheap old laptop with VM running.

https://www.masconit.com/toyota-techstream-software/

http://minivci.blogspot.com/2018/03/...on-vmware.html

Let us know what you do and how well it works. Some of these are no longer on Amazon as I suspect they were taken down.
Good Find! That VeePeak looks like a clone of the Blue Driver. It scored well in many tests, since I already have the BD Ithink I'm going to wait for the AT temp update.
Old 05-13-20, 01:10 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 457 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Good Find! That VeePeak looks like a clone of the Blue Driver. It scored well in many tests, since I already have the BD Ithink I'm going to wait for the AT temp update.
Do you think that BlueDriver will add AT temp? I contacted them by email and they said....

"Thanks for contacting us! Unfortunately, ATF temperature is not a standard OBDII live data PID and is not currently supported by BlueDriver. We will be working on 'enhanced' or manufacturer live data for your vehicle in the future, but there aren't currently any firm timelines for when this will be complete."

I took that to mean don't hold your breath. I think that we have to get a bunch of people to contact them b/c they added that they work on updates in the order of customer demand.

Old 05-13-20, 01:57 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Do you think that BlueDriver will add AT temp? I contacted them by email and they said....

"Thanks for contacting us! Unfortunately, ATF temperature is not a standard OBDII live data PID and is not currently supported by BlueDriver. We will be working on 'enhanced' or manufacturer live data for your vehicle in the future, but there aren't currently any firm timelines for when this will be complete."
I took that to mean don't hold your breath. I think that we have to get a bunch of people to contact them b/c they added that they work on updates in the order of customer demand.
I read a few days ago that they are working on it, I think they are trying to get specs from the manufacturers. I don't think that technically is a hard thing to add.
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (05-14-20)
Old 05-27-20, 07:19 AM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10000rpms
Began drain and refill on our 2017 rx 350 f sport this past weekend. Assumed that it would have same atf layout as our 2016 Toyota highlander, though there were differences in the drain plug which is a two part plug with center drain screw within larger plug. Anyhow, after removing drain screw exactly one quart drained out. Didn't have time to remove the larger drain bolt or look for drain straw since it wasn't what I was expecting and didn't have right hex bolt to get out larger bolt etc.

If anyone else has done this procedure would be great to hear if same warm up procedure is used to check level as previous models and if in fact there is a drain level straw in this model?
Followed this procedure this past weekend. I was able to remove the larger bolt (it is a 17mm hex) and drain another 2 quarts. The drain straw is attached to inside of the larger plug. I didn't check the level though. Replaced with the exact amount drained (Valvoline MaxLife). The shifts seem smoother after.

Question though--How come it drained 1qt after removing the check plug in both our vehicles?!? I would think it should've only drained a bit if the level was right. Does that mean the ATF was overfilled to begin with?
Old 06-01-20, 11:51 AM
TheWacoKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
Followed this procedure this past weekend. I was able to remove the larger bolt (it is a 17mm hex) and drain another 2 quarts. The drain straw is attached to inside of the larger plug. I didn't check the level though. Replaced with the exact amount drained (Valvoline MaxLife). The shifts seem smoother after.

Question though--How come it drained 1qt after removing the check plug in both our vehicles?!? I would think it should've only drained a bit if the level was right. Does that mean the ATF was overfilled to begin with?
If its anything like the Tacomas/4runner/GX, you need to have the engine running and the transmission heated up to a specific range to check the level. Otherwise you'll drain more than you need....

Also, why not replace with the fluid called for by Lexus? As far as my research has shown, there is no aftermarket ATF that actually complies with the standard.
Old 06-01-20, 12:11 PM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheWacoKid
If its anything like the Tacomas/4runner/GX, you need to have the engine running and the transmission heated up to a specific range to check the level. Otherwise you'll drain more than you need....

Also, why not replace with the fluid called for by Lexus? As far as my research has shown, there is no aftermarket ATF that actually complies with the standard.
The Valvoline was more of a personal preference since it's a recommended replacement for Toyota WS. You're right about the temperature, however, since ATF expands while heated, it would end up draining more at a higher temperature.
Old 06-01-20, 12:36 PM
TheWacoKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
The Valvoline was more of a personal preference since it's a recommended replacement for Toyota WS. You're right about the temperature, however, since ATF expands while heated, it would end up draining more at a higher temperature.
Generally yes, but fluid returns to the pan when the engine is off because it's not circulating. That's why you drained more than you expected. This is why level is checked while the system is running or under vacuum like it would be with the SST used by a professional.
Rxyen (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20, 04:18 PM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheWacoKid
Generally yes, but fluid returns to the pan when the engine is off because it's not circulating. That's why you drained more than you expected. This is why level is checked while the system is running or under vacuum like it would be with the SST used by a professional.
Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you!
TheWacoKid (06-02-20)
Old 08-12-20, 03:19 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

FYI, my dealer informed me that their recommended tranny/diff service is @ intervals of 96K kms or 4 years.
coolbrazz (08-14-20)
Old 08-13-20, 07:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by exonw
FYI, my dealer informed me that their recommended tranny/diff service is @ intervals of 96K kms or 4 years.
I wasn't aware that there was a time factor in this, as far as I know it Km only. But 96K Km seems a bit high especially for the 1st one.
Old 08-13-20, 08:37 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I wasn't aware that there was a time factor in this, as far as I know it Km only. But 96K Km seems a bit high especially for the 1st one.
On my Honda Pilot (2nd Gen), recommendation are listed below so could be right for the RX .... if you are driving on average 24K-kms then it turns out to be the yearly dividing factor
- Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid (every 48,000 kms)
- Replace Rear Differential Fluid (every 96,000 kms)

I'm going with dealer's reco as mine is under ext. warranty until Y'2025

Last edited by exonw; 08-13-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 09:36 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Mike - I will be doing the ATF flush for sure, as it's now or never. I will at least do the 60k service, if not the 120k and 180k also. I want all the assurance for peace of mind, our cars being early models of the 8 speed transaxle and all. Even though I don't driving this car in severe conditions or towing, I do drive it at prolong fast highway speeds.

I also feel a clunk/jerk going into revers after a long drives ( not very consistent, and wasn't noticeable when new,), so maybe the ATF is slightly over filled from the factory and maybe new fluids/level check would help

My real dilemma right now is how to go about performing the service.

On the one hand my local Lexus dealership offers a fluid exchange for under $300 when they have a coupon, using TOYOTA WS fluid, and they do recommend this at 60k even for our supposed life time fluid. Who better to trust than Lexus techs, right?

On the other hand, FCPEuro offers an AISIN WS ATF package for under $70 (8 qt, including shipping, comes with new O-rings, bolts, etc, and each additional Qt is under $7) for Volvo cars that use the same Aisin transmission as Toyota/Lexus.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-aisin-atfwskt

I just need to find a local mechanic who is willing do the following procedure, with me watching his every move

I really want to see what the fluid looks like, and also make sure everything is leveled right.

Old 03-03-21, 09:37 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Lex918- have you ever change the ATF on the IS? what did it look like?
Old 03-03-21, 09:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
Mike - I will be doing the ATF flush for sure, as it's now or never. I will at least do the 60k service, if not the 120k and 180k also. I want all the assurance for peace of mind, our cars being early models of the 8 speed transaxle and all. Even though I don't driving this car in severe conditions or towing, I do drive it at prolong fast highway speeds.

I also feel a clunk/jerk going into revers after a long drives ( not very consistent, and wasn't noticeable when new,), so maybe the ATF is slightly over filled from the factory and maybe new fluids/level check would help

My real dilemma right now is how to go about performing the service.

On the one hand my local Lexus dealership offers a fluid exchange for under $300 when they have a coupon, using TOYOTA WS fluid, and they do recommend this at 60k even for our supposed life time fluid. Who better to trust than Lexus techs, right?

On the other hand, FCPEuro offers an AISIN WS ATF package for under $70 (8 qt, including shipping, comes with new O-rings, bolts, etc, and each additional Qt is under $7) for Volvo cars that use the same Aisin transmission as Toyota/Lexus.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-aisin-atfwskt

I just need to find a local mechanic who is willing do the following procedure, with me watching his every move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLT5q5i0Jds&t=35s

I really want to see what the fluid looks like, and also make sure everything is leveled right.
Yeah I think I will probably have the dealer do it soon. My wife's RX is at 52K miles now.
Cocal (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:13 PM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
Lex918- have you ever change the ATF on the IS? what did it look like?
I haven't changed it. I was under the assumption it didn't need to be change. That transmission drives great still.
I thought this whole changing the ATF was odd, haha.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (merged threads)