RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission fluid change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 05:56 PM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
@sz8 - A huge thanks for the car leveling tip. I am about to service our '13 GS350, so it may be too low, but ya never know!
I think as long as you can reach the drain plug comfortably, it should be ok. I suggest you do some practice to screw on the plug after you drain the fluid. That is because when you do the level adjustment drain, you do not have too much time to wait. You want to plug it when it starts to trickle but not stop draining.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (07-01-21)
Old 07-02-21, 05:30 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

thanks for the post. I am about a year out from the ATF change but just ordered all of the supplies necessary. Finding a scan tool that does ATF temp makes the job much easier. I found one that works with OBD Fusion that was very reasonable cost. I will check to see how comfortable it is without lifting the vehicle since that is a great suggestion for leveling.
Old 07-02-21, 11:49 AM
sz8
Driver

Originally Posted by Quantum501
thanks for the post. I am about a year out from the ATF change but just ordered all of the supplies necessary. Finding a scan tool that does ATF temp makes the job much easier. I found one that works with OBD Fusion that was very reasonable cost. I will check to see how comfortable it is without lifting the vehicle since that is a great suggestion for leveling.
The other reason I did not put the car on jack stands is that, so far, I could not find a jack stand that can fit the pinch weld of the RX. That area looks not flat. I can not put the jack stand inside or outside of the pinch weld. I don't like the idea of resting pinch weld directly on jack stand risking bending it.
Old 07-02-21, 12:10 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by sz8
The other reason I did not put the car on jack stands is that, so far, I could not find a jack stand that can fit the pinch weld of the RX. That area looks not flat. I can not put the jack stand inside or outside of the pinch weld. I don't like the idea of resting pinch weld directly on jack stand risking bending it.
All of my cars in the past had the same type of pinch weld for jack stand points. My jack stands have a curve/notch that accommodates the pinch weld. It sits down in the notch. I have never had any problem with this. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying. The pinch weld is designed to be used to support the vehicle, either with the factory jack or with floor jack or with jack stands.

oh....found a picture online. You can get pinch weld adapters for some jack stands. These are rubber inserts that go between the jack stand top and the pinch weld.
Old 07-02-21, 12:25 PM
350L
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

All of my cars in the past had the same type of pinch weld for jack stand points. My jack stands have a curve/notch that accommodates the pinch weld. It sits down in the notch. I have never had any problem with this. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying. The pinch weld is designed to be used to support the vehicle, either with the factory jack or with floor jack or with jack stands.

oh....found a picture online. You can get pinch weld adapters for some jack stands. These are rubber inserts that go between the jack stand top and the pinch weld.
Those adapters will deform under the weight of the RX, ask me how I know 😁. They will work ok for a Miata, but they are unnecessary.

Your pinch welds will come out perfect as long as you place the stands properly. They are designed to handle it. I'll snag a pic next oil change when I rotate the tires.

You don't need em for the ATF change, but for some jobs it sure is nice to have the car up on jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (07-03-21)
Old 07-02-21, 12:41 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by 350L
Those adapters will deform under the weight of the RX, ask me how I know 😁. They will work ok for a Miata, but they are unnecessary.

Your pinch welds will come out perfect as long as you place the stands properly. They are designed to handle it. I'll snag a pic next oil change when I rotate the tires.

You don't need em for the ATF change, but for some jobs it sure is nice to have the car up on jack stands.
yeah....I have never had an issue with pinch weld damage and I have worked on cars for 40 years. All different cars, with all different jack stands.
Old 07-02-21, 02:04 PM
sz8
Driver

yeah....I have never had an issue with pinch weld damage and I have worked on cars for 40 years. All different cars, with all different jack stands.
Thanks for the info. But in my case, my jack stand top has this shape that the center is not deep enough. That means if I put pinch well on that stand, the pinch weld blade will touch the stand before the two side metal
touches the stand. This means the sharp blade will take the weight of the car. I think it will damage the pinch weld. My jack stand looks like this:
Amazon Amazon

I believe the factory jack is different: the slot is deep enough to not touch the pinch weld.

Does your jack stand touch the pinch weld or is the center deep enough to avoid touching the pinch weld blade?
Thanks,

Last edited by sz8; 07-02-21 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 04:50 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

I don't think I have ever had a jack stand touch anything but the pinch weld. I can see the logic of a rubber support, but I have never had a problem in the literally hundreds of times that I have put a car on jack stands. I lower the car very slowly onto the jack stand and have never had any damage to the weld. This includes my RX.

The adapters are cheap so I guess that is an easy solution.
Old 07-03-21, 08:01 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't think I have ever had a jack stand touch anything but the pinch weld. I can see the logic of a rubber support, but I have never had a problem in the literally hundreds of times that I have put a car on jack stands. I lower the car very slowly onto the jack stand and have never had any damage to the weld. This includes my RX.

The adapters are cheap so I guess that is an easy solution.
Hi all, same here, been working on cars for over 50 years and I never had a problem with the pinch weld on jack stands. That's the design of the pinch weld, and to be used to raise the car.
Old 07-03-21, 12:05 PM
sz8
Driver

Thanks to all. That is good info related to putting pinch weld on jack stand. Looks the pinch weld is much stronger than I thought it is. I might give it a try with my old car and see how it goes.

Last edited by sz8; 07-03-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-04-21, 07:10 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Just got my transmission fluid replaced, CA$225 and got 10% discount .... now start counting for the next tranny fluid change @ 6 yrs/96,000 km

OTOH, got a note recommending serpertine belt replacement on my next service @ CA$219.95

Originally Posted by exonw
Now I'm more convinced/prepared to pay CA$225 to have it done during recommended interval ... which is soon
Old 07-07-21, 02:24 PM
Rhemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know the service history...ie....is the vehicle in the Lexus system or do you have service records?

I would make sure that the ATF has been drained and filled (not a flush) and is in good shape. Same with transfer case and rear differential. ATF is listed as INSPECT in the service schedule and is "lifetime" but many would recommend regular changes.
The Lexus dealer will be able to give it the once over but they are going to charge you top dollar to do so.

As Cocal said, start by getting the service schedule and try to find out what has been done regularly in the past if possible. Enjoy
is the ATF automatic transmission fluid?
Old 07-07-21, 02:42 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rhemy
is the ATF automatic transmission fluid?
Yes, and the dealer will tell you that it is lifetime, but that just means that when your transmission starts slipping, then the lifetime is over.

I would highly recommend that you have them do a drain and fill (not a flush). They will drain 2 - 3 quarts and replace. You do that 2 or 3 times with some driving in between (can be 10 miles or couple thousand) and you will get most of the old ATF replaced. Many of us do before 60,000 miles. Viktor G has a YouTube channel and posts here for maintenance...he is a Lexus tech and shows how to do basic work for DIY folks. If you are handy with a wrench then you can do it yourself for under $100. Dealer will probably charge $200 - $300 for each drain and fill.
Old 07-07-21, 03:37 PM
Rhemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve heard that if you replace the transmission fluid you could end up doing more damage than it’s worth. Is that true? I’m a little scared to end up with transmission problems. Soon after buying the vehicle.
Old 07-07-21, 03:48 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

I think that is the case if you wait too long....like 150,000 miles and then do it. The clutch material that came off is now in the fluid and provides friction.

Check out Viktor G video on transmission fluid replacement here or on his YouTube channel. You could post a question in the comment section and tell him your mileage and ask his opinion regarding change or no change. Lexus does recommend change at 60k if you tow, so even they acknowledge that it is not lifetime.

Certainly do not do it if you feel uncomfortable but I would at least get the opinions from a Lexus/Toyota tech or two. I asked Scotty Kilmer a couple of years about this online. My wife's 4Runner had like 110,000 at the time and he said to go ahead and do it.

btw, there is a thread around here somewhere about noisy rear lift....I think someone greased the struts and that solved the problem. Mine are quiet, so you might want the tech to take a look at that too.

I have been very happy with my RX....so far so good. Enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (merged threads)