RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Navigation Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 05:33 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DannySS
See if your Lexus app suite on your dash includes Alexa. It's MUCH faster at finding a location/directions than Lexus.
thanks , I'll take a look.
I removed the lexus application from my phone, since I have a 17 and was cut off from everything including the remote start. not sure if this is needed for the app suite,
Old 02-04-23, 10:40 AM
DannySS
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need the app suite on your phone. I connect via Bluetooth, launch the app, log in, and form the name of my car at the top click the drop-down anc lick App Suite.
Much more complicated than it used to be.
Old 02-06-23, 11:52 AM
lenbabin
Rookie

Default Map Update

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
My 2016 RX 450h is in for service & I just inquired about updating my outdated 2016 map. The dealer told me to wait until Feb/March 2023, for the latest map version.
Dealer told me the same thing. I am just waiting now.

Len
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (02-06-23)
Old 02-13-23, 12:03 PM
GadgetGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Go To Address"

Originally Posted by JSracer
debating the update, i use to use the Lexus application, to set favorites, then it was super easy to set the destination once in the car.
since the car has no network communication anymore, guess I'll have to see about other ways to enter an address, vs using my phone for navigation
You can use the Lexus Voice to put the address into Navigation. I never realized you could do this before either. Just press the voice button and say Go To Address XXXXXX (make sure to say the entire address including city and state). The map will show the route to pick the one you want and that's it!! I still use Google through my bluetooth sometimes but this is also handy. Also, it is so easy to take out the old sim card and put the new one in, I'm glad I didn't give them over $150 to do that for me. This forum has detailed instructions that is fool proof to do it yourself! Good Luck!
Old 02-14-23, 07:06 AM
DannySS
10th Gear

You can also use Alexa. Since Lexus added Lexus to the app suite it's easiest to ask Alexa for directions since Alexa can also respond to questions like "Where is the nearest ____" and it will use the in-dash map/voice for guidance. Much better and faster than Lexus's nav system.
Old 02-23-23, 10:02 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Skypirate
After spending an afternoon on this blog and a few other sites I hope maybe my lessons learned will help the next poor SOB who is searching for the "right" answer. I was trying to figure out how to update the 2013 map database in a 2015 RX350 we inherited from my 92 yr old MIL, hopefully for FREE! I learned:

1. Toyota/Lexus has both a nav hardware version designator and a software number. See the attached chart (also published by other bloggers on this site).

2. For the 2013 - 2015 RX 350 the nav system hardware version is "generation 7" and the latest software version is "PT219-HDD07-19", Note this chart says "-17" as it was published a while ago, but the latest software for the gen 7 is -19 from other posts (some call it 19.1) with current map data probably from late 2018.

3. For the 2015 RX350 the load is still via USB. RX350 didn't get the SD card until 2016 with the generation 9 hardware (some other models got it as early as 2014).

4. The dealer will have you believe you can ONLY get the update by making an appointment to get the specific part number (PT219-HDD07-19) downloaded from a special crypto isolated NSA quality Lexus server directly to a secret squirrel computer at the dealer then via their USB to your car. All for $150-$250 and an hour of labor so $200 - $300.

5. You can get a code for the pirated software update on the internet for as cheap as $75. Some say this could be "Russian" hacked software and not a real update. Personally, from what I know of Russian "capitalism" they would be happy to sell real hacked Japanese software to the rest of the world for a profit.

6. Those with 2016 or newer RX350's (with gen 9 hardware or newer) can get a 2022 map update (with late 2021 data) on a sim card from the dealer, per above, or cheaper after some internet searching.

7. So, I can upgrade my RX350 maps to a database that is almost 5 years old for $75 to $300 based on source.

HOWEVER, WHY WOULD I DO THAT ? Since people like to use their smartphones for navigation and other apps (streaming audio and video), and those apps are updated daily, car manufacturers are including Android Auto or Apple Carplay software in their nav systems so you can use them on, and control them from, your car "nav head" and steering wheel buttons. Why would they want to spend money updating a car system when they can use the smartphone updates for free ? Toyota/Lexus finally got on board this technology around 2018.

You make your choice, I've made mine.
Where is this “attached chart”??
Old 03-10-23, 06:02 PM
Marino5
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 350 2018 f

I need also update my Map gps
Old 09-25-23, 06:20 PM
airboy64
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maps

I am hoping someone can point me positively in the right direction. Dealing with maps with my Ford is simple....
My poor wife on the other hand is driving around with 7-year old maps. I'd sure like to help her out with her maps.
We are talking about a 2016 RX350 - VIN starts with 2T .
I have seen references and even a video or two that indicate/say I want a part PT219-GEN09-21.
However, I have also found PT219-GEN09-22 and PT219-GEN09-23 which appear to just be newer version of same.

When I try to purchase any of these I see this....

Products may not fit the VIN provided at checkout.. Please contact us to confirm fitment.
or
Unable to verify part fitment for your vehicle:

Is there anyone that can verify that PT219-GEN09-21, PT219-GEN09-22 and PT219-GEN09-23 will indeed be the correct SD card Maps update for a 2016 RX350 (VIN starts with 2T)?
Set me straight please!
Thanks very much!
David

Old 10-02-23, 08:51 AM
GadgetGirl
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2016 RX350. Dealer kept telling me the latest map update I could get was a 2018. However, with all the information on this site I went ahead and ordered (from the Dealer LOL) p/n PT219-GEN09-22. Installed it in seconds and it works perfectly. Even the parts department told me it would work which is why I got it there in case it didn't. If there is a 23 available, it will work also and is easy to install. Instructions are in various places on this site. I just followed them. The map works great but using the navigation is a pain. I do use it occasionally with voice commands but have recently purchased an external carplay device from Amazon and love it. It does take away from the nice looks of the Lexus but who cares if it updates my car so I don't have to buy a new one. I only have 53K and it's in perfect condition.

Hope that helps!
Mikes94GS3 (12-26-23)
Old 10-02-23, 09:56 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see what is the point of spending money to update the map when you can use carplay. The phone's map is always up to date.
Old 10-09-23, 11:06 AM
GadgetGirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I don't see what is the point of spending money to update the map when you can use carplay. The phone's map is always up to date.
A 2016 RX doesn't have carplay.
Mikes94GS3 (10-09-23)
Old 12-24-23, 06:04 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4th gen nav update knowledge needed

Hey folks. My mother in law has a 2019 RX 350 and apparently the nav system that came with it has maps that are no longer valid. In fact tonight she tried to drive to my town for the holidays and she lost cell service and the entire town shows zero detail on her nav system. She was lost for over an hour and freaked out.
She says the dealer wants $200+ in order to update the nav system to the current data but this seems dubious to me. (I have a 2010 RX350 so I don’t know of this is true or not.)

To me, and coming from another car brand, the idea of paying for nav system updates is…ludicrous and highly suspect. I never had to pay for updates on previous or even my other current vehicles (Jeep and Infiiniti.)

Of course, I initially thought if anyone knows if this is true, complete BS, or if there’s a cheaper aftermarket or another way to do this, it would be you guys.

Love to hear your thoughts or even work arounds.
Old 12-24-23, 07:48 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by wgregt
Hey folks. My mother in law has a 2019 RX 350 and apparently the nav system that came with it has maps that are no longer valid. In fact tonight she tried to drive to my town for the holidays and she lost cell service and the entire town shows zero detail on her nav system. She was lost for over an hour and freaked out.
She says the dealer wants $200+ in order to update the nav system to the current data but this seems dubious to me. (I have a 2010 RX350 so I don’t know of this is true or not.)

To me, and coming from another car brand, the idea of paying for nav system updates is…ludicrous and highly suspect. I never had to pay for updates on previous or even my other current vehicles (Jeep and Infiiniti.)

Of course, I initially thought if anyone knows if this is true, complete BS, or if there’s a cheaper aftermarket or another way to do this, it would be you guys.

Sounds about right. It's usually $160 for the SD card with the updated maps and service time to install. Your best bet is to use your phone for navigation, or get an aftermarket solution such as BeatsonicUSA or GROM.
Old 12-25-23, 06:27 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

This is why I buy a Garmin.I can update it for free on my PC. You can always buy a new one for 100 bucks or so every 4-5 years!
Old 12-25-23, 08:29 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

No longer valid is like "stale" or not the latest data ... which is very different from "Nav not operative" or blank display.
We all know that even the latest yearly release is technically "stale" as it is at least 3 months old. I am driving with at least 5 yr old data with no loss of Nav.

It seems there is an issue with the Nav system that it stopped functioning. So if you have the patience and time talk to Lexus service and convey to them that problem is with Nav shutdown or going inoperative. They may try to sell you the latest maps (data) but even with the new data your system may suffer from the same ailment.

With electronics, most off the time strange behavior can be "reset" with a restart [turn off the vehicle and restart]. A more drastic reset can be accomplished by removing 12v supply but it has its own set of issues.

Salim
PS: I am accustomed to maps data stored on the vehicle [which seems the case as you are being offered new data]. Some times later (model based)~2018 Lexus provides latest data/traffic directly .. no need to purchase for updates or pay for live traffic

Last edited by salimshah; 12-25-23 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation Map Update