RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Navigation Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23, 02:05 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh the nav system works fine, it's just that there are entire towns/streets/POI's (like mine) that are not on her nav map. When she travels 600 miles to come see us for the holidays, she can't use the Lexus nav system to...navigate to us b/c it doesn't show my zip etc at all. We got her here OK this time, but she wanted to go driving on her own to church the other night...about 7 minutes away. No cell service so she relied on the car nav...and she drove around for 90 minutes, never made it, got lost, and seems like she was lucky to find her way back to my home. At this point she was mad as hell and angry that she paid for the Lexus nav system and it is...utterly and completely worthless. She has rarely used it (other than locally in her home town a couple of times to see how it worked) b/c it seems so far like a waste of money and she can't believe she bought it with the car when she bought it new in early/mid 2020.

So I'm trying to salvage this and get her to where it at least works.

I'm still astounded that Lexus makes you pay for the actual updates (which to me = actual usage of the product you bought 3+ years ago) over and over again if you truly want it to "work" as intended. Like I said, other vehicles I have/used to own all of that was updated, free, over the air once a month or at the occasional dealer visit. To have to re-buy this damn thing every year (or whenever new updates come out, if you want it to be up to date) for $200 a pop is "I'll drive the damn thing back thru the front window of the dealership" worthy.I pay cash for all of my new vehicles, so the idea of having to pay again, each year, AFTER the sale is BS to me.

Old 12-25-23, 03:27 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Garmin......
Old 12-25-23, 03:29 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. Another screen...
Old 12-26-23, 05:51 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have an Android phone, go to where you have a cell connection and then you can download the maps for the area you are living in, and then use the phone navigation app with no cell service and get the same functionality as if you were in a service area. You do not need to have your Data turned on. I suspect that Apple has a similar option. I use this feature, because I too live in a new area that the Lexus maps do not cover. I do not know how Google updates their maps so quirk, but by downloading the maps you always have the latest version and navigation service.
Old 12-26-23, 02:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,083 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by wgregt
Oh the nav system works fine, it's just that there are entire towns/streets/POI's (like mine) that are not on her nav map. When she travels 600 miles to come see us for the holidays, she can't use the Lexus nav system to...navigate to us b/c it doesn't show my zip etc at all. We got her here OK this time, but she wanted to go driving on her own to church the other night...about 7 minutes away. No cell service so she relied on the car nav...and she drove around for 90 minutes, never made it, got lost, and seems like she was lucky to find her way back to my home. At this point she was mad as hell and angry that she paid for the Lexus nav system and it is...utterly and completely worthless. She has rarely used it (other than locally in her home town a couple of times to see how it worked) b/c it seems so far like a waste of money and she can't believe she bought it with the car when she bought it new in early/mid 2020.

So I'm trying to salvage this and get her to where it at least works.

I'm still astounded that Lexus makes you pay for the actual updates (which to me = actual usage of the product you bought 3+ years ago) over and over again if you truly want it to "work" as intended. Like I said, other vehicles I have/used to own all of that was updated, free, over the air once a month or at the occasional dealer visit. To have to re-buy this damn thing every year (or whenever new updates come out, if you want it to be up to date) for $200 a pop is "I'll drive the damn thing back thru the front window of the dealership" worthy.I pay cash for all of my new vehicles, so the idea of having to pay again, each year, AFTER the sale is BS to me.
Thank you for the details ... as now I am clear that you live in a newer area for which the map data is stale.

There are royalties and contracts that bind manufacturer to certain software provider. My 2018 GS has live traffic and maps and does need to be updated. I am not sure when RX got that version.

Salim
Old 03-31-24, 01:50 PM
gfgolden
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 2016 Map SD card Update

I bought the latest navigation update. I am not sure it actually updated.

Old 04-02-24, 07:59 AM
DannySS
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know the date of the previous version of the map you had? '23 seems pretty current.
Old 04-14-24, 06:46 PM
Icemann
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 RX450H navigation map update last week 4/8/2024

I purchased the SD chip part number PT219-GEN09-23 from my local Lexus dealer last week. It is the 2024 (latest) map update sd chip for my vehicle.
I paid list price of $210. plus Wisconsin sales tax of $11. I installed the chip myself, took 20 minutes total. Very easy to do. I followed a you-tube video on how to do it, very very simple.

I took a picture of my original software with the original SD chip. that navigation number

was A11A5570 before I updated.
I took a picture of my updated software with the 2024 SD chip, that navigation number is A11A8030 after update.

Good Luck all!