RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Navigation Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 01:00 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious if anyone actually prefers the RX navi over Google Maps/Waze navi on your smartphone, which might be on a smaller screen, but significantly more reliable and accurate. I haven't used my navi since the first week I got the car--mainly for testing purposes. And I'm assuming a lot of RX owners are on the same boat..
Old 03-01-18, 02:32 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DMVRX350F
Curious if anyone actually prefers the RX navi over Google Maps/Waze navi on your smartphone, which might be on a smaller screen, but significantly more reliable and accurate. I haven't used my navi since the first week I got the car--mainly for testing purposes. And I'm assuming a lot of RX owners are on the same boat..
I am using RX navi for the convenience (don't have to worry about mount and power cable). And since I spent $$ on navi package, I'd better to use it sometimes!
Old 03-01-18, 02:58 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I use it everytime. It took a little getting used to but as soon as you learn how to use it and even better, "Mark"-ing your favorite spots, makes it even easier to use. The cursor control is still a PITA even after getting used to it. I wish Lexus put another option like a touchpad or even better a mini-BT keyboard. And it's not too late to incorporate a mini-BT keyboard with a touch pad since the existing system is BT capable.
Old 03-01-18, 03:39 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use it all the time. It took a little time to get used to it but now I love it.
Old 03-01-18, 03:43 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm another one who uses the Lexus system - I find it great actually, don't have to worry about phone placement - I always put the phone on the charging pad.
Old 03-01-18, 04:53 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I use it everytime. It took a little getting used to but as soon as you learn how to use it and even better, "Mark"-ing your favorite spots, makes it even easier to use. The cursor control is still a PITA even after getting used to it. I wish Lexus put another option like a touchpad or even better a mini-BT keyboard. And it's not too late to incorporate a mini-BT keyboard with a touch pad since the existing system is BT capable.
Why would you need navigation to get to your favorite spots??
No doubt I'm in the minority, nothing new there, but I like the cursor control.
The following users liked this post:
jettzen (11-28-22)
Old 03-01-18, 06:12 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Nav in the vehicle is nice with a hud display.
I have screen mirroring for Google maps, Waze things like that on the 12" screen (beat-sonic)

Debating a pro clip mount for my phone too,
Old 03-02-18, 06:10 AM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
Nav in the vehicle is nice with a hud display.
I have screen mirroring for Google maps, Waze things like that on the 12" screen (beat-sonic)

Debating a pro clip mount for my phone too,
Interesting! How much did it cost you to hook up screen mirroring via beat-sonic?
Old 03-02-18, 06:53 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Interesting! How much did it cost you to hook up screen mirroring via beat-sonic?
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html/
they are here on the Audio video forum, there is a forum member discount.
i for sure wanted the in motion bypass, the screen mirroring is a plus, not sure how much i'll use it vs a pro clip on the vent area.
Old 03-02-18, 07:47 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Why would you need navigation to get to your favorite spots??
No doubt I'm in the minority, nothing new there, but I like the cursor control.
Good question, I also do this. I have a couple destinations that I can never remember the correct exits to get to them. Top that off with lots of road construction & saving these to favorites makes sense.

Occasionally, I use Google Maps Turn-By-Turn via Bluetooth. So you get voice instructions thru your car speakers. Sometimes the 1st word Google speaks gets chopped at the beginning, but I’ve found it pretty accurate. You can combine that with the Waze app that will tell you road conditions, wrecks, construction & even police locations.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (01-14-20)
Old 03-02-18, 10:48 AM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

i for sure wanted the in motion bypass, the screen mirroring is a plus, not sure how much i'll use it vs a pro clip on the vent area.
Wow. $359 is pretty expensive. And then there's all that wiring..
Think I'll just stick w my ProClip setup. I appreciate the info, though
Old 03-02-18, 11:16 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I use the Lexus NAV all the time. The cursor control is far better than the touchscreen on my Highlander. The first year free of destination assist is great too.
Old 03-02-18, 11:58 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
The first year free of destination assist is great too.
The free Destination Search is great too.
Old 03-02-18, 01:46 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Wow. $359 is pretty expensive. And then there's all that wiring..
Think I'll just stick w my ProClip setup. I appreciate the info, though
Yeah, I was buying the in motion bypass so all the stuff that Grey's out moving, will still function. Figured for a few dollars more I would get the full kit.
My phone was on my dash sideways on both me other cars, to the right of the wheel. Thinking proclip too, but can't purchase till I decide if I want an s9, the holder is different,
Love Waze, use it all the time
Old 03-06-18, 09:40 AM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm intrigued by this "in-motion bypass"...In my '06 Highlander Hybrid w/ Nav, I was able to do this by using a specific pattern of touchscreen presses. This was especially convenient when driving, and my passenger could now make nav changes. (Unfortunately, Toyota ended up removing that "workaround" on subsequent updates.)

Just wondering if there's a similar "in-motion bypass" for Lexus without having to install 3rd party equipment...?

Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation Map Update