RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Navigation Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 11:11 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisper
I'm intrigued by this "in-motion bypass"...In my '06 Highlander Hybrid w/ Nav, I was able to do this by using a specific pattern of touchscreen presses. This was especially convenient when driving, and my passenger could now make nav changes. (Unfortunately, Toyota ended up removing that "workaround" on subsequent updates.)

Just wondering if there's a similar "in-motion bypass" for Lexus without having to install 3rd party equipment...?
think 3rd party, thats all i know. with this its up down up down, with the volume, there is another option, that you hold the on hook or something. different brand.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nsd6223ep.html
must have navigation.
there is a discount for being a member here
Old 03-06-18, 12:35 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
think 3rd party, thats all i know. with this its up down up down, with the volume, there is another option, that you hold the on hook or something. different brand.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nsd6223ep.html
must have navigation.
there is a discount for being a member here
OK, thanks. I was hoping to find a simple way to unblock those annoying gray-outs when in motion. I don't recall being locked out of navigation controls when using other car brands, and someone's in the passenger seat. I'm aware that voice commands could be used, but there are times when it helps to have the passenger make nav changes.

I went to the beatsonic site and viewed the installation videos for NX & GS; no RX videos as far as I can tell. Interestingly, the NX video involved removing nearly all of the front/side/armrest panels; whereas, the GS video only involved removing 2 panels (the latter made more sense to me). How did your installation go with your RX?
Old 03-06-18, 12:54 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

There is an rx video, looks easy enough I'll see if I can find a link. There isn't much to remove for installation
I haven't installed yet, still cold here, and my travels don't begin until mid April, so I'll install in the next week or two.
Old 03-07-18, 05:09 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, thanks. I was hoping to find a simple way to unblock those annoying gray-outs when in motion. I don't recall being locked out of navigation controls when using other car brands, and someone's in the passenger seat. I'm aware that voice commands could be used, but there are times when it helps to have the passenger make nav changes.

I went to the beatsonic site and viewed the installation videos for NX & GS; no RX videos as far as I can tell. Interestingly, the NX video involved removing nearly all of the front/side/armrest panels; whereas, the GS video only involved removing 2 panels (the latter made more sense to me). How did your installation go with your RX?
This is about as simple as it can get for a factory system bypass. I think it’s pricey for what you get, but there aren’t a lot of manufacturers that do this type of modification that’s plug & play. I watched a review of the new LC & that system is maddening to say the least. You can’t even change the radio stations manually! Just about every vehicle I’ve driven with factory navigation has some type of lockout feature while driving. I lost count how many times I’ve had to pull over & put the vehicle in Park, just so my wife could modify our destination. This is a useful tool!
Old 03-07-18, 05:17 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Cars I've driven have always had restrictions on certain functions of the nav system when in motion - it's a safety issue.
Old 03-07-18, 10:04 AM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Cars I've driven have always had restrictions on certain functions of the nav system when in motion - it's a safety issue.
Sorry, I meant to say that I recall driving other brands whose navs would at least prompt if there's a passenger controlling it (Y/N). Answering Yes would unblock most of the grayed-out functions. Even Waze app, if I recall correctly, would do the same: initially blocking while in motion, unless you select "Yes, I'm a passenger", or similar. Wish the same were true for Toyota/Lexus nav systems.

Anyhow, I'm debating between just getting the standalone bypass module or, for ~$160 more, the entire smartphone mirroring kit. Personally, although smartphone mirroring's cool, the nav bypass alone is more valuable to me. Looks like I can get the smartphone accessories separately later; correct me if I'm wrong, please. I don't mind removing panels/modules, plus I still have a set of nylon/plastic prybars that I used on my previous vehicle's mods; so having the installs done all at once is not a requirement.
Old 03-07-18, 12:05 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Please tell us what vehicles “ask” if the passender is operating the nav. I have never seen a vehicle with that, but I haven’t driven a ton of vehicles with nav.
Old 03-07-18, 01:58 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Please tell us what vehicles “ask” if the passender is operating the nav. I have never seen a vehicle with that, but I haven’t driven a ton of vehicles with nav.
Ha, admittedly, my experiences have been with car rentals with factory nav, both here and in Europe. I think my last rental in the U.S. was a Chrysler 300(?), and a BMW X1 in Germany. I don't recall the rest, but I do recall being pleasantly surprised that the passenger could make changes to the nav while the vehicle's in motion; which made us hopeful that our next car purchase would allow the same. To our chagrin, it turned out to be just wishful thinking.

By the way, I checked out the video demo, and the narrator remarked that the bypass mode had to be disengaged soon after making nav changes else the display/GPS wont' change (frozen). How's that work out for you? Thanks.
Old 03-07-18, 04:41 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

The way this system is set up. I’m perfectly good with the steering wheel control override. This way, the safety protocols are still in place.
The following users liked this post:
chrisper (03-07-18)
Old 03-08-18, 11:39 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Sorry, I meant to say that I recall driving other brands whose navs would at least prompt if there's a passenger controlling it (Y/N). Answering Yes would unblock most of the grayed-out functions. Even Waze app, if I recall correctly, would do the same: initially blocking while in motion, unless you select "Yes, I'm a passenger", or similar. Wish the same were true for Toyota/Lexus nav systems.

Anyhow, I'm debating between just getting the standalone bypass module or, for ~$160 more, the entire smartphone mirroring kit. Personally, although smartphone mirroring's cool, the nav bypass alone is more valuable to me. Looks like I can get the smartphone accessories separately later; correct me if I'm wrong, please. I don't mind removing panels/modules, plus I still have a set of nylon/plastic prybars that I used on my previous vehicle's mods; so having the installs done all at once is not a requirement.
Ok I give up....how does the nav system know it's the passenger replying and not the driver lying thru his teeth??
Old 03-08-18, 01:00 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Ok I give up....how does the nav system know it's the passenger replying and not the driver lying thru his teeth??
I doubt it'd know the difference. Technically, it would seem feasible to verify that there's a passenger present...Isn't it true that many modern cars have pressure sensors and/or seat buckle sensors for airbag-related purposes? In my RX, the heated/ventilated indicators for the passenger seat only light up when it's occupied, so it shouldn't be too farfetched to expect the nav to "know" the same. Again, just wishful thinking.
Old 03-08-18, 01:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I doubt it'd know the difference. Technically, it would seem feasible to verify that there's a passenger present...Isn't it true that many modern cars have pressure sensors and/or seat buckle sensors for airbag-related purposes? In my RX, the heated/ventilated indicators for the passenger seat only light up when it's occupied, so it shouldn't be too farfetched to expect the nav to "know" the same. Again, just wishful thinking.
I agree. Moreover, a person is on the honor system if a passenger is not present. Pull Over & do it. It’s not worth crashing. The Allstate “mayhem” commercial comes to mind where the guy is looking for his cell phone & rearends the car in front of him. That’s exactly how it happens!
Old 04-24-18, 11:36 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Map Data version

I just had my map data updated. The screen shows version 21-37-17 {2017-06-01} Is that the most current version?
Old 04-24-18, 11:55 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 671 Posts

Yes, the map data is finalized each year in the fall and the 2018 update won't be ready till then.
Old 04-24-18, 02:13 PM
t4tran
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you update it at the dealership? Cost?

Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation Map Update