RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Navigation Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 10:49 AM
heysteph
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I pulled it out and put it back-in in the past without any problem. I just made sure to do it while the car was off, not while the infotainment system is on.

im too scared to do that.. lol the guy kept saying I would have to buy a brand new sd card if I inserted and messed it up
Old 10-29-19, 11:08 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

You talked to the technology people or service or parts?
My tech department said its a card swap, no charge but for the new card.
Might be worth it for you to pay the $200, from your hesitation. Heck, you could almost buy 2 cards for your total cost.

As far as paying $150 for labor for a cabin air filter, run from that place! Especially since there is an access pannel in the back of the glove box.
Old 10-29-19, 11:18 AM
heysteph
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
You talked to the technology people or service or parts?
My tech department said its a card swap, no charge but for the new card.
Might be worth it for you to pay the $200, from your hesitation. Heck, you could almost buy 2 cards for your total cost.

As far as paying $150 for labor for a cabin air filter, run from that place! Especially since there is an access pannel in the back of the glove box.

I called the service department, I’ll go ahead and call the tech department.
Old 10-29-19, 11:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Geez, really? Whatever happened to reformat & try again? Some of this sounds like money making lies on the dealer’s part. I have a mini SD card, just above the console opening.
Old 10-31-19, 10:25 AM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Geez, really? Whatever happened to reformat & try again? Some of this sounds like money making lies on the dealer’s part. I have a mini SD card, just above the console opening.
You cannot reformat these cards as the pc does not recognize it.

Also, I have tried putting in a new updated SD Map and my car does not recognizes it no matter how much time I give it.
Old 11-01-19, 12:04 PM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
You cannot reformat these cards as the pc does not recognize it.

Also, I have tried putting in a new updated SD Map and my car does not recognizes it no matter how much time I give it.

It doesn't recognize it because each SD card is uniquely encoded to the vin# of your vehicle. I saw a write up about it somewhere, but yeah, it will never work that way.
Old 11-03-19, 10:03 AM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kmiller882
It doesn't recognize it because each SD card is uniquely encoded to the vin# of your vehicle. I saw a write up about it somewhere, but yeah, it will never work that way.
So is there a way to update the card on your own? I can't even get it to recognize it in card reader.
Old 11-04-19, 05:10 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
So is there a way to update the card on your own? I can't even get it to recognize it in card reader.
what did you purchase ?? new or used ??
what vehicle do you have ??
have you called your dealers TECHNOLOGY department to ask ??
Old 06-22-21, 02:41 PM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Has anyone done a map update himself?

I have a 2018 RX 350 and the the GPS map version installed is June 2017. The latest map version is 2020. The NAV Owner's Manual has no instruction for owners to do the update. All it says is not to remove the micro SD card because that may disable the NAV system. Our Lexus dealer charges $210 for the new map update micro SD card plus labor so about $300 total. I'm contemplating doing the map update myself since it looks very simple by popping the old SD card out from the slot next to the cigarette lighter and inserting the new one in. Has anyone done this update and if so what tips you can provide to ensure proper installation? Thanks.
Old 06-22-21, 07:46 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

There's YouTubes on it. I watched one of them and it does appear to be pretty straight forward.

The following users liked this post:
FSporting (09-03-21)
Old 06-22-21, 07:56 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
There's YouTubes on it. I watched one of them and it does appear to be pretty straight forward.
Did you read the posts slightly before this? There is no way to do it yourself without the authorized equipment from what they were saying. My stupid system has crashed & burned at least twice, so I’m not wanting to experiment on mine.
Old 06-23-21, 10:10 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Did you read the posts slightly before this? There is no way to do it yourself without the authorized equipment from what they were saying. My stupid system has crashed & burned at least twice, so I’m not wanting to experiment on mine.
I actually paid the $300 to have Lexus do my 2016. Just like any Youtube you have to decide if you would want to take a diy project on or not.
Old 08-31-21, 07:00 AM
Docdel
Driver School Candidate

Default SD slot

Where can I find the SF card slot for upgrading my sat nav?
Old 08-31-21, 08:26 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2021 RX450H, and apparently there is no SD slot that I could find. I suspect this model year updates over the air. But I am not sure.

I have seen earlier models with the SD slot. Not sure if I am overlooking the slot, or if it was deprecated.
Old 08-31-21, 09:43 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Docdel
Where can I find the SF card slot for upgrading my sat nav?
I found this:

2020 Lexus RX is offered with the Generation 11 Multimedia System including cloud based Dynamic Voice Command with a 10 year subscription, 3 years of Enform Destination Assist ( live destination programming pushed down to your Nav system by a live person ) and up to 3 years of Dynamic cloud based Navigation updates. These are all made possible by the LTE Cell-Data connection powered by AT&T on the 2020 RX! Easily the best Navigation system Lexus has offered, take a look at how easy it is to program a destination. Apple CarPlay & Android Auto are also standard on the 2020 RX but are not shown in this video.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (09-04-21)

Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation Map Update