RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 07:09 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bgil47
I was at my local dealer yesterday and drove a 2020. The 2020 rx 350 had bridgestone tires on it, and the 2020 450h had michelin.
I have a 450h on order and I hope I get the Michelin tires.
You can always ask the salesperson to switch them.
Old 10-04-19, 05:34 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update on our switch from the original Bridgestone Ecopias that came with our 2016 RX F-sport to the Goodyear WeatherReady tires. After driving the RX around for a little less than a week and putting about 250 miles on the new tires on dry and wet conditions, I can confidently say they’re a big improvement over the Ecopias.

To me the Goodyear’s have less road noise, a more planted/secure feeling with the road especially when it was wet/raining, cornering feels improved & more stable while taking them and not feeling any noticeable difference between how they handle pot holes or any other bumps on the road. I did go with a wider tire (255/50/20) than the original size (235/55/20) so not sure how much that effects the situations mentioned previously.

Overall so far up to this point we are very satisfied with the switch and wish I would have done it sooner. But I’m waiting to give my final judgement until I put about 5k miles on the Goodyear’s and can test how they perform in snow/slush/ice conditions this winter if we have any. We live in the Portland Metro area and main reason we switched to this particular model of tires was for the improved winter traction they provide compared to regular all-season tires. The winters here are not particularly bad it’s mainly rain but we do get the occasional snow/ice storm and the city/ODOT is ill prepared and basically shuts down compared to the Midwest or East coast cities that are more use to these weather events.

Some pics of the RX and tires after a wash on Monday.

Last edited by Philthy84; 10-04-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 11:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Yeah, Lexus can go where the sun doesn’t shine - worthless. I can’t believe the difference in these tires - the Bridge*****s ride like rocks compared to these Pirellis. I knew the Bridge*****s were getting noisy, but now all I hear is just {hush}. I’m not going any further with my embellishment until I get more miles on these & see how they hold up. All I can say is Lexus chose one of the worst tires in the world for their best selling vehicle - Freak’n brilliant.
How are your Pirellis holding up? I'm ready for new shoes and the tire place is recommending those same ones.
Old 10-09-19, 11:44 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy84
Update on our switch from the original Bridgestone Ecopias that came with our 2016 RX F-sport to the Goodyear WeatherReady tires. After driving the RX around for a little less than a week and putting about 250 miles on the new tires on dry and wet conditions, I can confidently say they’re a big improvement over the Ecopias.

To me the Goodyear’s have less road noise, a more planted/secure feeling with the road especially when it was wet/raining, cornering feels improved & more stable while taking them and not feeling any noticeable difference between how they handle pot holes or any other bumps on the road. I did go with a wider tire (255/50/20) than the original size (235/55/20) so not sure how much that effects the situations mentioned previously.

Overall so far up to this point we are very satisfied with the switch and wish I would have done it sooner. But I’m waiting to give my final judgement until I put about 5k miles on the Goodyear’s and can test how they perform in snow/slush/ice conditions this winter if we have any. We live in the Portland Metro area and main reason we switched to this particular model of tires was for the improved winter traction they provide compared to regular all-season tires. The winters here are not particularly bad it’s mainly rain but we do get the occasional snow/ice storm and the city/ODOT is ill prepared and basically shuts down compared to the Midwest or East coast cities that are more use to these weather events.

Some pics of the RX and tires after a wash on Monday.

Congrats! Let us know what you think after a couple thousand miles. The Tire Rack review on these is very good, and I'm going to be up for a new set next summer.
Old 10-09-19, 02:28 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How are your Pirellis holding up? I'm ready for new shoes and the tire place is recommending those same ones.
So far, so good. No complaints & they are wearing very well. I’m at 27,000 & nearing 28,000 & I still feel like I’m driving a library! I looked at the new Ford Explorer & noticed they are using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. That vehicle has 400 hp & 415 lb/ft of torque, plus it weighs more than the RX. I’m pretty convinced they are good tires. Someone on here mentioned they were going with a Goodyear tire. I’m curious how that turned out. I’ve had decent luck with Goodyear & found they stood behind their tire when I had an issue. I just fail to see the logic in what Lexus did with their tires.
Old 10-09-19, 03:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

So far, so good. No complaints & they are wearing very well. I’m at 27,000 & nearing 28,000 & I still feel like I’m driving a library! I looked at the new Ford Explorer & noticed they are using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. That vehicle has 400 hp & 415 lb/ft of torque, plus it weighs more than the RX. I’m pretty convinced they are good tires. Someone on here mentioned they were going with a Goodyear tire. I’m curious how that turned out. I’ve had decent luck with Goodyear & found they stood behind their tire when I had an issue. I just fail to see the logic in what Lexus did with their tires.
Thanks - I'll go with the Pirellis.
Old 10-13-19, 03:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Has anyone tried the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife? There is an 85K warranty on these tires, and they start with a 12/32” tread depth as compared to 8.5/32” for the Michelin Premier LTX. My dealer currently is charging about $816 for a set of four Goodyear’s compared to $1095 for the Michelin’s. Michelin’s have a 60K warranty.
https://www.lexustirecenter.com/
I'm having these installed this week. Was going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion but decided to make the switch after reading more reviews. $825 installed for all four at the dealer plus the cost of an alignment. Stay tuned.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
gadgetman1 (10-13-19), rxtimes2 (10-14-19)
Old 10-13-19, 08:00 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I also upgraded to 255/50/20 tires but with Michelin Defenders. Added OEM side door moldings along with some black titanium lower side trim.

The following users liked this post:
vic170 (02-09-21)
Old 10-14-19, 02:52 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm having these installed this week. Was going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion but decided to make the switch after reading more reviews. $825 installed for all four at the dealer plus the cost of an alignment. Stay tuned.
Please let us know what you think about these tires. If they are quiet, and ride well, I will be installing these also. My Lexus dealer offers them, and occasionally has a tire sale.
Old 10-14-19, 04:56 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by viperr
I also upgraded to 255/50/20 tires but with Michelin Defenders. Added OEM side door moldings along with some black titanium lower side trim.

Perhaps it’s just the angle of your photo, but your side molding looks way low. I have the molding with the chrome strip in the middle that’s mounted midway up the door & I’m STILL getting door dings! F’ing stupid people! Nobody respects other’s property anymore.
Old 10-14-19, 05:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Please let us know what you think about these tires. If they are quiet, and ride well, I will be installing these also. My Lexus dealer offers them, and occasionally has a tire sale.
They go on Thursday. I think all Lexus dealers are running a promo now for tires. Stay tuned.
Old 10-14-19, 12:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by bgil47
I was at my local dealer yesterday and drove a 2020. The 2020 rx 350 had bridgestone tires on it, and the 2020 450h had michelin.
I have a 450h on order and I hope I get the Michelin tires.
You better have them put that in writing on your sales order! Otherwise, you will be stuck with junk 20,000 mile tires with no mileage warranty.
ravenuer (10-14-19)
Old 10-14-19, 03:57 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Perhaps it’s just the angle of your photo, but your side molding looks way low. I have the molding with the chrome strip in the middle that’s mounted midway up the door & I’m STILL getting door dings! F’ing stupid people! Nobody respects other’s property anymore.
You're right! Lowering the molding was done on purpose since I thought the OEM height looked a bit high midway. A few members like 16RXSD spent over a week measuring and taping to get it to the right effective height. I also tested the lowered height parked right next to my 2013 GS350, opened the door and it measured out right. I got those measurements in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oldings-2.html
Old 10-27-19, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I just installed a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlife shoes. Silky smooth and quiet and hopeful theyll last longer than the oem Michelins.
rxtimes2 (10-28-19)
Old 11-14-19, 11:47 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

Follow up to my post of about 18 months ago where I installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires at/by Sam’s Club after the OEM Michelin tires were “done” at 17,000 hard Pittsburgh all-city driving miles. This week those tires were at 3/32nds in about 18 months, 19,000 miles (hence it's 18 months since my original post). Sam's Club pro-rated them yesterday and I got a new set of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season “Plus 2” (updated version of the same tire...it’s not clear what’s different) for $286, installed with all taxes and fees. Truthfully this is about what I seem to get out of ANY tires here in Pittsburgh on heavy vehicles like the RX. (I've been driving big cars since I started driving in 1976; I never get great mileage out of tires here. I lived in Atlanta for 4 years and did get 40,000 miles out of a set of Michelins...but that was a while ago.) The original Pirellii replacement tires cost me $666 at Sam's Club, total installed. So for about $1000.00 ($666 for the originals plus $286 for the new pro-rated set) I'll get 40,000 miles (over two sets of tires). Again, not bad here in Pittsburgh, but certainly the Pirelli didn't last any longer than the OEM Michelins. They do ride great...perhaps better than that OEM Michelin’s.

Last edited by daryll40; 11-20-19 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)