RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 06:24 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Please do not teach me about science. It is my opinion and that of the highway patrol that the tire blew out. Your "diarrhea" is your problem--not mine!
Old 04-15-20, 06:38 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

Why are you interested in the ride of the new Pirellis if you assiduously avoid them?
Old 04-15-20, 06:43 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhaka
No, I did not hit anything. The highway patrol determined after considerable evaluation what happened was a tire blowout.
No doubt it was a tire blowout. It's just that tires don't "blowout" just because they feel like it. There was a reason the tire blew out. It certainly could have been because of a defect in the tire. Or, you could have hit something miles before your accident without you realizing it.
Did the highway patrol have the tire dismounted and sent out for an expert opinion? Or maybe was it easier to just write "blowout" on the accident report.
Sounds like it was a serious accident and glad no one was seriously hurt.
The following users liked this post:
Boraxo (07-20-20)
Old 04-15-20, 08:35 AM
Dhaka
Rookie

I just made a statement. Is it wrong to voice my opinion?
Old 04-15-20, 08:41 AM
Dhaka
Rookie

Thanks for your understanding, ravenuer. I was just giving an opinion of what happened with one of my Pirelli tires, and people jumped all over me. Obviously, the tire was defective. I could have sued, but it is not who I am. People here have said good and bad things about Michelin's and Bridgestone. I did not react to anyone's thinking.
ravenuer (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 10:30 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Even if you didn't hit anything, there is a higher probability that there was already something wrong with your tire and you simply weren't aware of it. When the issue finally got serious enough, your tire blew out. For example, something like this may have already been on your tire: https://www.tireamerica.com/resource/side-bubble-in-tire. It could have been from a bump or pothole you hit months ago. I mean, how often do you inspect your tires? How often does the average joe thoroughly inspect their tire?

In my opinion stating the tire blew out randomly, as fact, all on it's own is jumping to conclusions. This in turn is triggering a lot of people.
gadgetman1 (04-21-20)
Old 04-20-20, 07:58 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone try the

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT?

Tire Size: 235/55R20
Warranty: 105k km
Season: All-Weather
Run Flat: No
Load Index: 102
Speed Rating: H

I think the Speed Rating is lower than original OEM Spec on my 2016 FSport, but would this be an acceptable tire to put onto this vehicle?

Last edited by arrowroot; 04-20-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 09:13 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, anyone try 245/50R20 on the 2016 FSport? Will this adversely affect my suspension, other vehicle components, or ride quality?
Old 05-27-20, 09:06 AM
TheWacoKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Also, anyone try 245/50R20 on the 2016 FSport? Will this adversely affect my suspension, other vehicle components, or ride quality?
Other than going a little slower than the speedo indicates, and possibly a slightly harsher ride compared to stock, probably not.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 05-27-20, 09:22 AM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
No but the upside is you will get an improvement in handling and better braking distance. Down sides are you will get worse fuel mileage and a bumpier ride.

Those were the differences I noticed swapping my 235-65-18 to the 235-55-20s
Old 05-28-20, 09:15 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been in the market for new tires. I narrowed my choices to the Michelin Premier LTX, Pirelli Scorpions, and Continental CrossContact LX25. I called 3 Discount Tire stores and my Lexus service advisor for opinions. Three of the four strongly recommended the Michelins for what I want (softer, quiet ride with good handling) despite the known issues with tread life. So I had the Michelins installed at the dealership yesterday. I've noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality.

Question: Assuming that I have the tires rotated every 5k miles at the dealership, if they don't make it to the warranted 60k, is a prorate (or free replacement) fairly routine/automatic?
Old 05-28-20, 09:45 AM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I've been in the market for new tires. I narrowed my choices to the Michelin Premier LTX, Pirelli Scorpions, and Continental CrossContact LX25. I called 3 Discount Tire stores and my Lexus service advisor for opinions. Three of the four strongly recommended the Michelins for what I want (softer, quiet ride with good handling) despite the known issues with tread life. So I had the Michelins installed at the dealership yesterday. I've noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality.

Question: Assuming that I have the tires rotated every 5k miles at the dealership, if they don't make it to the warranted 60k, is a prorate (or free replacement) fairly routine/automatic?
I have the Pirelli Scorpions and they are not bad. Got those on sale at Sams Club and they have a 30-day no hassle deal if you don't like it. The noise levels could be better than the 18" Bridgestone Ecopias that came with the RX but I also believe some of that trade off comes from the 20" upgrade. Premier LTX is the OEM tire for the 20s.
Old 05-28-20, 10:27 AM
TheWacoKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Edmunds has a good article covering this, but in a sense yes, but its not automatic.
https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warrant...arranties.html
Old 05-28-20, 10:45 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

I never got a straight answer from my dealer, hence I would never buy tires from them. Perhaps you should call Michelin & inquire thru them, since that’s who the warranty is really from. Let us know what you find out. I went with the Pirelli, because I need a firm warranty & my dealer is more than 150 miles away.
Old 05-28-20, 12:31 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, they are prorated, but you have to ask and make sure they do prorate them. My Michelin tires were replaced at 35K by the Lexus dealer and they discounted the remaining thread life and matched the price of NTB. The Lexus dealer did not volunteer this, I had to just ask.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)