RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 09:54 AM
Sunshine20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires for Rx 350

Good Day

First time to this forum. Good information ! The OEM tires ( Premier LTX ) on my 2016 are worn down to 3/32 seconds, at about 33000 miles. Michelin makes these LTX tires for Toyota Highlander , pricing relatively cheap compared to the ones for Lexus. Per Michelin, there is no difference in driving experience for the tires made for Toyota and Lexus. Has any one have any experience with Toyota Premier LTX tires on their Rx 350 ?

Any other good alternatives to Michelin such as Bridgestone, Toyo, Goodyear etc
Appreciate the info!
Thank you
Old 10-20-20, 10:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine20
Good Day

First time to this forum. Good information ! The OEM tires ( Premier LTX ) on my 2016 are worn down to 3/32 seconds, at about 33000 miles. Michelin makes these LTX tires for Toyota Highlander , pricing relatively cheap compared to the ones for Lexus. Per Michelin, there is no difference in driving experience for the tires made for Toyota and Lexus. Has any one have any experience with Toyota Premier LTX tires on their Rx 350 ?

Appreciate the info!
Thank you
Goodyear Maxlife Assurance. Better than the OEM Michelins in terms of ride and likely treadlife.
The following users liked this post:
Sunshine20 (10-20-20)
Old 10-20-20, 10:10 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I have a 2016 Lexus RX350 FSport (AWD) with 20" wheels.

I had ordered the Pirelli - SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II tires from Costco online and they arrived in the Costco warehouse for installation (235/55R20, Speed Rating: H).

When I showed up for my installation appointment, the Costco tire centre technician said that these tires would not work on my car. He said that if I chose Pirelli tires, I would have to stick with a V-rated tire, since my OEM tires were V-rated. He said that if I went down to a H rated tire from Pirelli, my braking distance and handling would be affected and it would be unsafe.

He also said that if I chose a Michelin or Bridgestone tire, I could go down to a H rated tire and that would be acceptable.
In the end, I got a refund on the tires.

What are everyone's thoughts on the tire technician's comments?
I could understand he said you couldn't go down to H rated for their liability but it's completely BS that it would be okay to do that with Michelin and Bridgestone WTH?
Old 10-20-20, 10:23 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Good Day

Appreciate the info!
Thank you
I'd give the Continental Crosscontact LX25 a look (scroll up for details). It seemed to me the Goodyear was the pick if you were in snow a lot - but if you are in Florida you are probably more concerned about dry and wet.
Sunshine20 (10-20-20)
Old 10-20-20, 10:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I'd give the Continental Crosscontact LX25 a look (scroll up for details). It seemed to me the Goodyear was the pick if you were in snow a lot - but if you are in Florida you are probably more concerned about dry and wet.
My daughter had those Contis on her Q5 - treadlife so so.
Sunshine20 (10-20-20)
Old 10-20-20, 10:54 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My daughter had those Contis on her Q5 - treadlife so so.
Yeah its a fairly new tire without a lot of data yet on Tire Rack. I took a shot based on just initial reviews and I had some good experiences with other Conti tires. And they were a clean $30/tire cheaper than Goodyear. But we'll see on the tread life. Until Covid lets up I'm working from home and drive like 50 mile/month lol. Might take a while to get a read on the tread wear.
Old 10-20-20, 11:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Yeah its a fairly new tire without a lot of data yet on Tire Rack. I took a shot based on just initial reviews and I had some good experiences with other Conti tires. And they were a clean $30/tire cheaper than Goodyear. But we'll see on the tread life. Until Covid lets up I'm working from home and drive like 50 mile/month lol. Might take a while to get a read on the tread wear.
In that case, just ride on your rims
Old 10-20-20, 03:00 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Good Day

Appreciate the info!
Thank you
Welcome! Please read this thread, as you are missing the entire purpose of it. The RX only come with Michelin or Bridgestone tires. Both are crap tires. Once you read the entire thread, you will be up with the rest of us. In my opinion, Toyota/Lexus screws their customers by spec’ing poor quality and/or weird tire sizes.
Old 10-20-20, 04:55 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
In my opinion, Toyota/Lexus screws their customers by spec’ing poor quality and/or weird tire sizes.
The vehicle manufacturers in general specify lower grade and/or less tread tyres on the vast majority of vehicles, it's not a Toyota thing.
Old 10-20-20, 06:13 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The vehicle manufacturers in general specify lower grade and/or less tread tyres on the vast majority of vehicles, it's not a Toyota thing.
I’ve actually only had it on Toyota products - Tundra, Camry & the Lexus. All of my American cars, my VW & my Acura had great tires. What kind of company puts tires on a $60,000 Lexus with ZERO mileage warranty?!
Old 10-20-20, 06:15 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Tires for a 450HL

I went to Costco and Discount Tires today to purchase Michelin Defenders, but unfortouately they do not make 235/55/20. Discount said that the width is not popular, so Michelin does not make that size. they suggested Goodyear Assurance Weatherready in a 235/55/20. I researched the Goodyear tire and I guess it is OK, but does not have the same customer ratings as the Defender. Discount indicated that I could do with a 255/50/20, which has been approved by Lexus as a substitute, but I am not sure that changing size is a good idea. Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear tire. I need the ability to go in snow, wet and dry pavement here in the Colorado mountains.
Old 10-20-20, 08:45 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’ve actually only had it on Toyota products - Tundra, Camry & the Lexus. All of my American cars, my VW & my Acura had great tires. What kind of company puts tires on a $60,000 Lexus with ZERO mileage warranty?!
Couldn't tell you, I'm in Australia and we don't have mileage warranty on tyres generally, definitely NOT on new vehicles, unheard of here.

I'm surprised the other cars had "great tires", again I haven't seen that here, apart from the far more expensive brands. The tyres are usually a shallower tread depth and/or a lower performing tyre. If a manufacturer can save a few dollars on each tyre, they do, it all adds up.
Old 10-21-20, 08:26 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by golferjack
I went to Costco and Discount Tires today to purchase Michelin Defenders, but unfortouately they do not make 235/55/20. Discount said that the width is not popular, so Michelin does not make that size. they suggested Goodyear Assurance Weatherready in a 235/55/20. I researched the Goodyear tire and I guess it is OK, but does not have the same customer ratings as the Defender. Discount indicated that I could do with a 255/50/20, which has been approved by Lexus as a substitute, but I am not sure that changing size is a good idea. Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear tire. I need the ability to go in snow, wet and dry pavement here in the Colorado mountains.
Since this thread is long the easiest way would be to use the "Search this Thread" feature (upper right) for that tire, and you should get all the posts mentioning it. I think the folks who got the Weatherready like it. It was on my "final two" list but I went with the Conti's because we really only deal with snow 2-3 days a year if we get any at all, so I favored the wet and quite ride attributes. Not that the Goodyear was bad at either - tire rack ratings are very comparable.
Old 10-21-20, 08:36 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

I installed Michelin Primacy Tour to replace the Bridgestones that came on the car. So far (4000 km), these are far superior to the Ecopias for noise, handling and wet traction.
bamalam (10-21-20)
Old 10-21-20, 12:18 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bgil47
I just took delivery of a 2020 450h that I officially ordered in September. Its the premium based package.

I did upgrade to the 20 inch wheels. The good news is that it came with Michelin premier ltx tire!
Good luck. My came with the LTX and they are almost gone at 28000 miles. WTH

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)