RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 12:29 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
I also upgraded to 255/50/20 tires but with Michelin Defenders. Added OEM side door moldings along with some black titanium lower side trim.

I also upgraded to 255/50/20 tires but with Michelin Defenders.
You did what I would like to do. Are there any issues going with the non standard tire?
Old 10-21-20, 01:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I installed Michelin Primacy Tour to replace the Bridgestones that came on the car. So far (4000 km), these are far superior to the Ecopias for noise, handling and wet traction.
My factory Crapstone Ecopias were shot at 22,000 miles. They hydroplaned really bad from 15,000 on. Top that off with dry rot cracking in between the tread & those tires were an accident waiting to happen. I switched to the Pirelli Scorpions & have almost 10,000 miles on them with very minimal wear.
Old 10-21-20, 01:44 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think one part of the wear is the pressures. I run them high at 40psi and given the weight of the vehicle, I think that's about right.

The problem is most manufacturers run them low to improve ride comfort.

I'm decently happy with my Pirelli Scorpion Verdes but I feel like the Ecopias were quieter.

Hard to say since I went from 18" Ecopias to 20" Scorpions.
Old 10-21-20, 01:52 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by golferjack
I also upgraded to 255/50/20 tires but with Michelin Defenders.
You did what I would like to do. Are there any issues going with the non standard tire?
No problem other than based on the calculator, your speedometer is going to under-read as the tire size is smaller.

You should see improved handling from the wider tire and shorter sidewall but the wider tires would cause your fuel consumption to increase.
Old 10-22-20, 08:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KevMaster
No problem other than based on the calculator, your speedometer is going to under-read as the tire size is smaller.

You should see improved handling from the wider tire and shorter sidewall but the wider tires would cause your fuel consumption to increase.
More traction, more fuel consumption?
Old 10-22-20, 08:53 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Maybe more traction, but more drag & road resistance for sure.
The following users liked this post:
KevMaster (10-22-20)
Old 10-22-20, 09:02 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Welcome! Please read this thread, as you are missing the entire purpose of it. The RX only come with Michelin or Bridgestone tires. Both are crap tires. Once you read the entire thread, you will be up with the rest of us. In my opinion, Toyota/Lexus screws their customers by spec’ing poor quality and/or weird tire sizes.
I don't have any idea why my Michelin LTX tires need to be replaced at 28000 miles, but from what I have read about them they are a premimum tire with a 60000 mile rating. I don't believe they are crap tires as the LTX have very good reviews. What tire is better is really hard to say. I have never ever gotten within 20000 miles of a tires rating.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-23-20)
Old 10-22-20, 09:16 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by golferjack
I don't have any idea why my Michelin LTX tires need to be replaced at 28000 miles, but from what I have read about them they are a premimum tire with a 60000 mile rating. I don't believe they are crap tires as the LTX have very good reviews. What tire is better is really hard to say. I have never ever gotten within 20000 miles of a tires rating.
I know why your tires only lasted 28,000 miles; it’s because Lexus designed it to only last 28,000 miles. There are different codes on tires that come from the auto makers vs. what one buys from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Goodyear or Firestone stores. The stores have a specific mileage warranty. You don’t get that with the factory tires, at least on a Lexus. Lexus/Toyota is the only company that I have had issues with their factory tires. My Camaro SS Goodyear F1 tires are the same on the car as they are at the Goodyear store. My Lexus Crapstone tires were NOT the same as what was available at a Firestone store.

I hope this helps clarify things better. We are getting ripped off with every new Lexus in the tire department. The bottom line: almost any comparable, like, aftermarket tire (you pick your brand), will outlast what Lexus puts on the RX at the factory.
Old 10-22-20, 09:37 AM
KevMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
What gadgetman said. Nothing is free in this world. Wider tire = wider contact area = more drag = higher fuel consumption.
Old 10-22-20, 09:52 AM
golferjack
Advanced

[QUOTE=gadgetman1;10919378]I know why your tires only lasted 28,000 miles; it’s because Lexus designed it to only last 28,000 miles. There are different codes on tires that come from the auto makers vs. what one buys from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Goodyear or Firestone stores. The stores have a specific mileage warranty. You don’t get that with the factory tires, at least on a Lexus. Lexus/Toyota is the only company that I have had issues with their factory tires. My Camaro SS Goodyear F1 tires are the same on the car as they are at the Goodyear store. My Lexus Crapstone tires were NOT the same as what was available at a Firestone store.

I hope this helps clarify things better. We are getting ripped off with every new Lexus in the tire department. The bottom line: almost any comparable, like, aftermarket tire (you pick your brand), will outlast what Lexus puts on the RX at the factory.[/QUOT
Thanks, I will have to check out the LTX codes on my tires vs what Discount has on their LTX tires. All that aside, I have never gotten the projected miles that come with a tire and the tire dealers all have an excuse for why I did not get the projected mileage, AND ALL THE REASONS ARE MY FAULT.
Old 10-22-20, 10:27 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

I know why your tires only lasted 28,000 miles; it’s because Lexus designed it to only last 28,000 miles.
Jokes on them then. I used my 60,000 treadwear warranty on my Premiers at the 27k mark to get new tires at 55% off the sale price on new tires. I would much rather do this and ride on a fresh set of tires than trust my car on longer-lasting tire compounds. Tires just feel so much better when new.

When the tire manufacturers catch on, let them challenge Lexus or reset expectations regarding tire life. In the meantime, lean on that warranty if you are savvy enough to.
Old 10-22-20, 11:57 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Jokes on them then. I used my 60,000 treadwear warranty on my Premiers at the 27k mark to get new tires at 55% off the sale price on new tires. I would much rather do this and ride on a fresh set of tires than trust my car on longer-lasting tire compounds. Tires just feel so much better when new.

When the tire manufacturers catch on, let them challenge Lexus or reset expectations regarding tire life. In the meantime, lean on that warranty if you are savvy enough to.
Perhaps the Michelin tires have some sort of mileage warranty. The Crapstones sure don’t! The first thing I did was take them to a Firestone store & that’s where they showed me the coding & the difference in tires & no mileage warranty. Then, I tried to get the Lexus dealer to replace them pro rated for Michelin, which they refused. I finally was able to get a $140 defect credit thru Discount Tire because of the premature dry rotting/cracking.

My Tundra TSS came with Toyo tires & it started pulling hard to one side after just a few hundred miles. I took it back to a Toyota dealer & they determined I had 3 bad tires & Toyo would only replace 2 tires max! WTF?! I contacted a tire broker & purchased a tire warranty on the Toyos, since I had less than 1,000 miles on them. Then, I took it to another tire store & had them replace all 4 garbage tires with some Yokohama tires that lasted 60,000 miles. Toyota screws customers on tires, period!
Old 10-22-20, 12:51 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I know why your tires only lasted 28,000 miles; it’s because Lexus designed it to only last 28,000 miles. There are different codes on tires that come from the auto makers vs. what one buys from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Goodyear or Firestone stores. The stores have a specific mileage warranty. You don’t get that with the factory tires, at least on a Lexus. Lexus/Toyota is the only company that I have had issues with their factory tires. My Camaro SS Goodyear F1 tires are the same on the car as they are at the Goodyear store. My Lexus Crapstone tires were NOT the same as what was available at a Firestone store.

I hope this helps clarify things better. We are getting ripped off with every new Lexus in the tire department. The bottom line: almost any comparable, like, aftermarket tire (you pick your brand), will outlast what Lexus puts on the RX at the factory.
Thank you! Explains why my Ecopias were done after 30k.

I hate it when companies use the same brand and model name but actually have different serial numbers underneath that indicate a difference. I noticed this at Wal Mart a lot with their electronics. Same 32" TV with same brand and model has a different serial number at Wal Mart than at Best Buy. Because Wal Mart demands certain price points so the manufacturers dumb it down for them without having to change the model. Unless you look close you never know.
Old 10-22-20, 03:50 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Perhaps the Michelin tires have some sort of mileage warranty. The Crapstones sure don’t! The first thing I did was take them to a Firestone store & that’s where they showed me the coding & the difference in tires & no mileage warranty. Then, I tried to get the Lexus dealer to replace them pro rated for Michelin, which they refused. I finally was able to get a $140 defect credit thru Discount Tire because of the premature dry rotting/cracking.

My Tundra TSS came with Toyo tires & it started pulling hard to one side after just a few hundred miles. I took it back to a Toyota dealer & they determined I had 3 bad tires & Toyo would only replace 2 tires max! WTF?! I contacted a tire broker & purchased a tire warranty on the Toyos, since I had less than 1,000 miles on them. Then, I took it to another tire store & had them replace all 4 garbage tires with some Yokohama tires that lasted 60,000 miles. Toyota screws customers on tires, period!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2FL+422+Ecopia

Check out the warranty tab. I had Discount Tire handle my new set of BFGoodrich. Dealers don't specialize in tires so they just aren't knowledgeable about how to go about doing warranty claims for you.

I'm glad I insisted the dealer swap the Ecopias for Premiers when I bought the car. The Premiers were fantastic when above 4/32nds, but of course they were the fastest wearing tires I've ever had.

Did you have the Yokohama YK580 by any chance? I only made it 38,000mi with the YK580s on my other RX. I am now trying out Pirelli Scorpion Verdes and Zeros on my other SUVs.
Old 10-22-20, 05:06 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2FL+422+Ecopia

Check out the warranty tab. I had Discount Tire handle my new set of BFGoodrich. Dealers don't specialize in tires so they just aren't knowledgeable about how to go about doing warranty claims for you.

I'm glad I insisted the dealer swap the Ecopias for Premiers when I bought the car. The Premiers were fantastic when above 4/32nds, but of course they were the fastest wearing tires I've ever had.

Did you have the Yokohama YK580 by any chance? I only made it 38,000mi with the YK580s on my other RX. I am now trying out Pirelli Scorpion Verdes and Zeros on my other SUVs.
This was a while back on my 2006 Tundra. I believe the tires were Yokohama Prada, but that all I remember. I would have gotten more miles had my ex not have driven the truck to the dump & run over all kinds of nails!

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)