RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 08:05 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was happy that my custom ordered 2021 had the Michelin’s. I guess only time will tell.
The following 2 users liked this post by goatee:
jollick (10-23-20), NX200 (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 12:03 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I hate it when companies use the same brand and model name but actually have different serial numbers underneath that indicate a difference. I noticed this at Wal Mart a lot with their electronics. Same 32" TV with same brand and model has a different serial number at Wal Mart than at Best Buy. Because Wal Mart demands certain price points so the manufacturers dumb it down for them without having to change the model. Unless you look close you never know.
In electronics, usually the electronic components are the same. Companies just disable some features through software, intentionally add noise by not calibrating enough, do not run full set of tests, or just do nothing and create different SKU numbers with identical components and features just to get different price points and see what sells. Typically, the price discount comes from the company not paying the aggressive shelf fees (they are different prices for which area of the shelf your product is allocated), in store advertising or advertising in their circulars.

For things like tires, it gets murkier... My first set of Michelins only lasted 36K miles. I did get a discount from Lexus on the tire warranty that was applied to a new set of tires. However, I had to ask for it and show competitor prices to get a price match on a new set of Michelins. These tires do not last long in Texas heat...
Old 10-23-20, 12:36 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The vehicle manufacturers in general specify lower grade and/or less tread tyres on the vast majority of vehicles, it's not a Toyota thing.
Not necessarily, what they do emphasize is quietness over all others, they are not lower grade, just a different type of grade.
Old 10-23-20, 12:38 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’ve actually only had it on Toyota products - Tundra, Camry & the Lexus. All of my American cars, my VW & my Acura had great tires. What kind of company puts tires on a $60,000 Lexus with ZERO mileage warranty?!
Name ONE manufacturer that gives its own tire warranty!
They all give the tire manufacturer's warranty and any problems other than balancing, one has to deal with the tire manufacturer.
Old 10-23-20, 02:24 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Name ONE manufacturer that gives its own tire warranty!
They all give the tire manufacturer's warranty and any problems other than balancing, one has to deal with the tire manufacturer.
I never said the auto manufacturers gave tire warranties. The Crapstone Ecopia tires that come on a new Lexus RX DO NOT have a mileage warranty thru Crapstone. If you go buy Ecopias at a Firestone store, you get a warranty. I can’t make this any clearer.
Old 10-23-20, 07:53 PM
Sunshine20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Reimbursement Michelin LTX

Good Day

Has anyone has experience getting money back/proration/discount for replacement through premature tread wear? My Michelin LTX is worn down to 3-32 at about 33000 miles, although Michelin advertises for 60000 miles on treadwear.

The Lexus Dealer claims they are not authorized Michelin Dealer. Other Michelin Dealers claim they do not know the history ( tire rotations, etc ). Bottom line, no one is ready to assist with warranty claim

How we would pursue this ? Or go with Bridgestone Ecopia plus 422

Appreciate your thoughts ! Thank you
Old 10-24-20, 01:21 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine20
..... although Michelin advertises for 60000 miles on treadwear. ,,,
Did you receive a mileage warranty on those tires when you bought the car? If not, I think you're wasting your time.

BTW, my original equipment Bridgestone Ecopias were under 4/32 when I replaced them at 28K miles. Lexus is putting short lived tires on their new cars.

Last edited by dibl; 10-24-20 at 01:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (10-24-20)
Old 10-24-20, 06:06 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

I replaced my LTX tires at 28500 miles. It is starting winter here and they would be OK on dry pavement, (3/32) but not on snow. . I went with Goodyear Weatherreadys. Hard to believe Michelin would chance loosing a customer, via building a lower grade tire that is supposed to last 60,000 miles. I like Michelins, but I do not understand their thinking. Electronics is a different situation. They carry a diffferent model and thus the features are available before purchase. Still hard to believe there would be 2 LTX models, with one being good for 30,000 miles and the other good for 60,000 miles. If this were true, I would think there would be a published model number on the car sticker stating the fact the LTX, model XXXX is rated for 30,000 miles. Otherwise consumers are left thinking LTX (Michelins) are not worth buying at the time of replacement. Way too complicated for me to understand.
Old 10-24-20, 06:28 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you get a separate warranty document for tires in the owners manual. It should tell you how to pursue. If not I would call Lexus directly and tell them the dealer is no help. If you log on to the Lexus owners website your service history will be there to provide some proof of tire rotation.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-26-20)
Old 10-24-20, 06:40 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
I think you get a separate warranty document for tires in the owners manual. It should tell you how to pursue. If not I would call Lexus directly and tell them the dealer is no help. If you log on to the Lexus owners website your service history will be there to provide some proof of tire rotation.
Thanks, but I am not looking for help. I am done with tire thing. As far as history from Lexus, I never go to them for anything other than warranty work. They can keep their high prices for maintenance work. They can keep their free doughnuts!
Old 10-24-20, 09:44 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine20
Good Day

Has anyone has experience getting money back/proration/discount for replacement through premature tread wear? My Michelin LTX is worn down to 3-32 at about 33000 miles, although Michelin advertises for 60000 miles on treadwear.

The Lexus Dealer claims they are not authorized Michelin Dealer. Other Michelin Dealers claim they do not know the history ( tire rotations, etc ). Bottom line, no one is ready to assist with warranty claim

How we would pursue this ? Or go with Bridgestone Ecopia plus 422

Appreciate your thoughts ! Thank you
This is from the Warranty book from my 2020 RX450h

Old 10-24-20, 07:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=golferjack;10919413]
Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I know why your tires only lasted 28,000 miles; it’s because Lexus designed it to only last 28,000 miles. There are different codes on tires that come from the auto makers vs. what one buys from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Goodyear or Firestone stores. The stores have a specific mileage warranty. You don’t get that with the factory tires, at least on a Lexus. Lexus/Toyota is the only company that I have had issues with their factory tires. My Camaro SS Goodyear F1 tires are the same on the car as they are at the Goodyear store. My Lexus Crapstone tires were NOT the same as what was available at a Firestone store.

I hope this helps clarify things better. We are getting ripped off with every new Lexus in the tire department. The bottom line: almost any comparable, like, aftermarket tire (you pick your brand), will outlast what Lexus puts on the RX at the factory.[/QUOT
Thanks, I will have to check out the LTX codes on my tires vs what Discount has on their LTX tires. All that aside, I have never gotten the projected miles that come with a tire and the tire dealers all have an excuse for why I did not get the projected mileage, AND ALL THE REASONS ARE MY FAULT.
My experience is different, however, the tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL440. Aside from the performance and handling, they last over 40k with still 2/32nds remaining on 2 of my vehicles.
Old 10-24-20, 07:19 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

[QUOTE=GS4_Fiend;10921080]
Originally Posted by golferjack

My experience is different, however, the tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL440. Aside from the performance and handling, they last over 40k with still 2/32nds remaining on 2 of my vehicles.
Apples & oranges - totally different tire on a totally different vehicle.
Old 10-25-20, 04:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=gadgetman1;10921085]
Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend

Apples & oranges - totally different tire on a totally different vehicle.
They are talking about Toyota and Lexus with OE Tires.
Old 11-01-20, 07:49 AM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bridgestone Ecopia OEM tire vibration

I noticed this tire vibrates at colder temperatures. Driving local roads or short trips, the ride doesn't feel smooth. If i take it to the freeway and after tires are warm, the ride feels much smoother. After tires are warm, driving local roads is smoother.

this wouldn't be case if they were out of round or not balanced. PSI was about 33-34 when there was no vibration.

I have read lot of bad reviews about this tire and how tire manufactures create special tires for dealers that have substandard quality for OEM. Just got RX so considering getting Michelins because its ruining my RX experience. I also test drove another RX with Michelins, it was way smoother.

Last edited by Lexus4rx; 11-01-20 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)