RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 05:00 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4rx
I noticed this tire vibrates at colder temperatures. Driving local roads or short trips, the ride doesn't feel smooth. If i take it to the freeway and after tires are warm, the ride feels much smoother. After tires are warm, driving local roads is smoother.

this wouldn't be case if they were out of round or not balanced. PSI was about 33-34 when there was no vibration.

I have read lot of bad reviews about this tire and how tire manufactures create special tires for dealers that have substandard quality for OEM. Just got RX so considering getting Michelins because its ruining my RX experience. I also test drove another RX with Michelins, it was way smoother.
That's funny; I have a very similar experience. The thing has a decent 'shimmy' until the tires are warm, then it mostly disappears. It seemed to go away after the 5,000 tire rotation, a bit of driving proved that wrong. Given the 4th Gen history of vibration problems, I'm not convinced it's a tire, but it does feel like it. I've considered taking it to a tire shop that knows how to use their Hunter and having the wheels road force balanced.
Old 11-03-20, 09:53 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2018 Lexus RX350 with the 20in rim here.
Wanted to give you guys my experience with the tires.

My car luckily came with the Michelin Premier LTX's - It was a tire you expect from the #1 tire company out there. Comfortable, Stable, Low Road noise, decent thread life (replaced mine at 33K)
When the time came to replace my tires I was looking to replace with the same tires and it was around $230.00 a tire.
I did some research and found Nexen was being aggressive on their "premium" line tires in the U.S to gain market share.
Nexen is a Korean tire company, it is the third-largest tire company in the country after Hankook and Kumho.
They supply OEM to Korean cars like Hyundai, Kia, and even some other Japanese car brands as well.

The tires that they have for 4RX's in 20in size is called the Nexen N'fera RU5 model.
It is one of their expensive tire lines for the SUV and it seemed to have a solid review.
I paid about $140 a tire which was a huge bargain compared to Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, and even Hankook...
I want to say, I'm very impressed with these tires.
I have about 10K miles in the tire now and the thread is still like new, ride is equally comfortable as the Michelin's, handles and corners about the same either, I noticed the tire has LESS road noise than the Michelin's ... I live in So-cal so I do drive pretty fast with twisty roads.
So if any of you want to try these out I highly recommend them. I'd say you get 95% of Michelins for about 60% of the price.

The last tire I want to talk about is Bridgestone.
It was on my loaner 2020 RX350.
Not a bad tire tbh... but for the price, I would just go with the Michelins or save money and go with Nexen I talked about above.

Hope this helped.

Old 11-03-20, 10:15 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fantasy521

My car luckily came with the Michelin Premier LTX's - It was a tire you expect from the #1 tire company out there. Comfortable, Stable, Low Road noise, decent thread life (replaced mine at 33K)
When the time came to replace my tires I was looking to replace with the same tires and it was around $230.00 a tire.
I did some research and found Nexen was being aggressive on their "premium" line tires in the U.S to gain market share.
Nexen is a Korean tire company, it is the third-largest tire company in the country after Hankook and Kumho.
They supply OEM to Korean cars like Hyundai, Kia, and even some other Japanese car brands as well.

The tires that they have for 4RX's in 20in size is called the Nexen N'fera RU5 model.
It is one of their expensive tire lines for the SUV and it seemed to have a solid review.
I paid about $140 a tire which was a huge bargain compared to Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, and even Hankook...
I have about 10K miles in the tire now and the thread is still like new, ride is equally comfortable as the Michelin's, handles and corners about the same either, I noticed the tire has LESS road noise than the Michelin's ... I live in So-cal so I do drive pretty fast with twisty roads.
So if any of you want to try these out I highly recommend them. I'd say you get 95% of Michelins for about 60% of the price.

Not a bad tire tbh... but for the price, I would just go with the Michelins or save money and go with Nexen I talked about above.

Hope this helped.
Nexen are supposed to be decent tires. I have never heard anything bad about them. I’m very comfortable buying Korean made products & I spent some time there in the military. Similarly, I purchased Shinko tires for my motorcycle, that are made in South Korea, but it’s a Japanese company that spun off of Yokohama. These tires have been fantastic, compared to the garbage Bridgestones that my bike had from the factory & they cost about ⅓ less! I think you made a wise choice & hope you get great service from them!
Old 11-04-20, 04:23 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Hope this helped.
Good of you to speak up on here. Seems to be a lot of "brand snobbery" around tyres on here. In Australia the Michelin/Bridgestone/Pirelli tyres are around the AUD$400-$450 mark while Kumho are around AUD$230. That's a big difference so thought I'd give them a go. LOVE THEM, smooth, quiet, handle well and very comfortable. Only done 30,000 kms so far but seems to be ample tread left so wear should be fine.
Many, many years ago I was a Pirelli fan, the old P6's stuck like glue, after a hard run they were sticky to touch but than had a set that started separating around the outside, all four, got my money back less wear allowance but turned me off the best from Italy forever.
Old 11-05-20, 09:44 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Hope this helped.
I looked on tirerack and they did not have the available size for 20 inch rims.
Old 11-09-20, 08:52 AM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Good of you to speak up on here. Seems to be a lot of "brand snobbery" around tyres on here. In Australia the Michelin/Bridgestone/Pirelli tyres are around the AUD$400-$450 mark while Kumho are around AUD$230. That's a big difference so thought I'd give them a go. LOVE THEM, smooth, quiet, handle well and very comfortable. Only done 30,000 kms so far but seems to be ample tread left so wear should be fine.
Many, many years ago I was a Pirelli fan, the old P6's stuck like glue, after a hard run they were sticky to touch but than had a set that started separating around the outside, all four, got my money back less wear allowance but turned me off the best from Italy forever.
I have kumho's on a toyota, and they are great. The only problem is they have soft side wall, so you have to be very careful parallel parking. My tire got ripped easily on a curb, but it hasn't lost integrity (5000 miles so far). Mostly cosmetic.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (11-10-20)
Old 11-09-20, 07:08 PM
Bonita2295
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone vs Michelin road noise

This is the closest thread I could find for my issue. Just traded in a 2011 RX 450h for a 2017 RX 350. 2011 450h was smooth and quiet and had 115,000 miles on it.. RX350 - with only 11,000 miles - is definitely noisier. I can feel the road vibration and feel engine vibration when I hit the gas slightly. Even feel it in the steering wheel and in my left knee against the door.
Something's not quit right. These are not major vibrations, but I notice the little things and this doesn't seem right for a RX with 11,000 miles. Only had the car for 2 weeks and it's certified so about to back to dealer and ask.
Only difference is the 2011 had Michelins and this has Bridgestone's. I don't believe the vibration and road noise is a mechanical problem. Is the 2017 noisier than the 2011?
Am I crazy.
Old 11-10-20, 07:45 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bonita2295
This is the closest thread I could find for my issue. Just traded in a 2011 RX 450h for a 2017 RX 350. 2011 450h was smooth and quiet and had 115,000 miles on it.. RX350 - with only 11,000 miles - is definitely noisier. I can feel the road vibration and feel engine vibration when I hit the gas slightly. Even feel it in the steering wheel and in my left knee against the door.
Something's not quit right. These are not major vibrations, but I notice the little things and this doesn't seem right for a RX with 11,000 miles. Only had the car for 2 weeks and it's certified so about to back to dealer and ask.
Only difference is the 2011 had Michelins and this has Bridgestone's. I don't believe the vibration and road noise is a mechanical problem. Is the 2017 noisier than the 2011?
Am I crazy.
Its really hard to understand what you have going on, but it sounds like you have the dreaded exhaust drone/vibration. There is a massive thread on this topic - you might want to move this post over to that thread. It doesn’t sound like you have a tire issue at 11,000 miles.
Old 11-11-20, 04:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

RX450h will definitely be quieter than the new RX 350.

Specially with the known exhaust drone and vibration issues of RX350 gen 4.
Old 11-11-20, 04:35 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hope this helped.
Where did you get the Nexens?
Old 11-12-20, 06:14 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonita2295
Am I crazy.
FWIW, I have a 2016 450h and it had the Bridgestones. I have no complaints what so ever about noise or vibration on those tires. My only gripe is the Bridgestones were done at 35k miles.
Old 11-15-20, 03:37 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Ecopia's are loud tires and make lot of road noise. They are also not all-season and useless in the winter. I will definitely be choosing Michelin's or Goodyear tires when I am done with these. You literally cannot hear the radio, or have to increase the volume to hear anything.
Old 11-15-20, 04:32 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus4rx
Ecopia's are loud tires and make lot of road noise. They are also not all-season and useless in the winter. I will definitely be choosing Michelin's or Goodyear tires when I am done with these. You literally cannot hear the radio, or have to increase the volume to hear anything.
Wait til they start hydroplaning. Mine started at 20,000 & by 22,000 I was tired of changing my underwear. The OEM Crapstones are the WORST tire I have ever owned, period!
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
toyotaman7 (11-26-20), ultra63 (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 05:15 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Wait til they start hydroplaning. Mine started at 20,000 & by 22,000 I was tired of changing my underwear. The OEM Crapstones are the WORST tire I have ever owned, period!
yeah Ecopia's are known for hydroplaning. Usually when the depth is 4" or less. So far have 8" left, so I got some time.
Old 11-16-20, 06:31 PM
MattEcho
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Looks like the Ecopia's on my new RX will be a summer tire only till they wear out. Hope they make it through one winter at least.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)