RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 02:11 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I see the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II that I'm considering is an "H" rated tire versus the OEM Bridgestone tires that's "V" rated. Does this matter? It's odd that Pirelli doesn't make a "V" rated tire in that size.
H rated tires are good for up to 130 mph
V rated up to 149

If you don't plan on running your vehicle over 130 for extended periods it doesn't matter.
Old 04-05-21, 02:58 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
H rated tires are good for up to 130 mph
V rated up to 149

If you don't plan on running your vehicle over 130 for extended periods it doesn't matter.
You say driving at 130 mph for extended periods, does the RX even go to 130 mph? 😀
Old 04-05-21, 07:03 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
You say driving at 130 mph for extended periods, does the RX even go to 130 mph? 😀
Around 125 mph I believe, so no. the V rated tires will have slightly stiffer sidewalls and capable of enduring prolong periods of heat better but for general driving the vast majority of people should be fine with H rated.
Old 04-12-21, 01:33 PM
MisterTee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, first post, though this forum was extremely helpful in making a purchase decision.

Just purchased a used 2017 RX350, FWD, 20" wheels from CarMax. They had put new tires on, but I'm not sure on the brand... they are Laufenn S-Fit AS, out of Hankook's budget line. So far they seem ok, but I haven't been driving too much and I've seen mixed reviews on these, especially that they lose grip on wet surfaces. I absolutely don't want to compromise on safety.

I'll be driving about 800 miles soon, but likely dry conditions.

Costco will have Michelins on sale in a couple days, considering getting a set of Premier LTXs which seem well-regarded in this thread. Opinions? Upgrade before the trip, after the trip, run the Laufenns until there's a real reason to replace them?
Old 04-12-21, 03:58 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 253 Posts

I generally love Michelins but the Premier LTX have pretty short tread life. I will be looking at the Continental CC LX25. I would drive what you have until you need new and then shop around. My experience with Continental has been excellent.
Old 04-14-21, 03:18 PM
HybrdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bridgestone 2019 RX 450F Michelin 2015 RX350

Currently attempting to make the right decision on tires now, anyone who has insight or knowledge I would appreciate a recommendation , I follow the book on maintenance through dealer, but no nothing about tires.

I thank you in advance .

2019 RX 450H F all services, rotations etc, through authorized Lexus dealer in Atlanta and the nearest dealer from Gulf Shores , which is Mobile Al.

OEM Bridgestone 235/55 R20 102V at 29,356 at 30K service n Mobile Al, tread depth rear 4/32 from 5/32
Road noise is loud and has been since maybe 15K on the set issued as OEM on our vehicle.
Also the ride quality has deteriorated.

Just as a question, I called Bridgestone Factory: Direct Quote, No warranty exists directly with any Lexus customer, any information will come through your dealer and a complaint number is given over the phone for you to give to dealer.

I posed another question then why is their a stated mileage warranty for the product, Quote if you purchased direct as aftermarket you would have a warranty.

We are currently in Gulf Shores AL, with mileage at 30,631_ The servicing 30K Lexus dealer in Mobile Al, now states, tires are outside tread 2/32 and 5/32 tread center front, 2/32 tread outside rear and 4/32 tread center rear. The Dealer: We see this as even wear, if you have a problem contact Bridgestone...

Just an FYI , I noted someone asking about Michelin. Our 2015 RX350 with OEM Michelin’s replaced at Mileage 25,478.00.

‘Driving, 90% Freeway miles on both vehicles.

Old 04-14-21, 07:34 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd maybe try to read back a few pages - it came up before that the Bridgestone's that they make for Lexus have a different warranty than if you bought them after market (and different meaning less). I'm recalling from memory, so that's a fact worth verifying. But that said, most folks here only get 20-35k out of the Bridgestones. I do not think you will get anywhere trying to make a claim. I'd just replace them. They are terrible tires anyway.

Edit: see post 652

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10919378

Last edited by 1Louder; 04-14-21 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HybrdLexus (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 09:03 PM
HybrdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, for the information, 1Louder you are very helpful.
That’s how I handled the 2015.

I needed a bit of wisdom on what all the different tire tread depths meant given by the dealer in Mobile, who stated they had the same tire or two others which all had bad results from Lexus drivers.
They were not that interested in assisting as our usual servicing dealers Nalley Lexus Atlanta and Keys Lexus in Van Nuys.

Thusly now a bit confused about the overwhelming amount of tire brands etc.

I called the other dealerships and spoke to our service advisors, they could not comment on the tires without seeing, but again went back to the Michelin that I replaced under 30K and the Bridgestone.

Is their any brand you have had luck with?

Kind Regards

Old 04-15-21, 04:57 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires for 2018 RX, Ecopias 3/32 at 25,000 miles NOW WHST?

Seems like even the Pirellis aren’t doing much better than that. These posts are all over the place. Anybody getting 30k plus miles out of any of these tires? I rotated every 6-7000 miles. Thanks
Old 04-15-21, 10:25 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HybrdLexus
Thank you, for the information, 1Louder you are very helpful.
That’s how I handled the 2015.

I needed a bit of wisdom on what all the different tire tread depths meant given by the dealer in Mobile, who stated they had the same tire or two others which all had bad results from Lexus drivers.
They were not that interested in assisting as our usual servicing dealers Nalley Lexus Atlanta and Keys Lexus in Van Nuys.

Thusly now a bit confused about the overwhelming amount of tire brands etc.

I called the other dealerships and spoke to our service advisors, they could not comment on the tires without seeing, but again went back to the Michelin that I replaced under 30K and the Bridgestone.

Is their any brand you have had luck with?

Kind Regards
Regarding tire depth, I think everyone would recommend replacement at 2/32. 4/32, you are getting very close. I would not want to be in really rainy weather or show at that depth.

This thread will give you a ton of ideas on brands, but the most popular choices are just a few posts up from here (see post 743). The popular choices are near the top of that list. Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear are the ones that get most discussion I think. Tirerack.com is a good resource to help look at different choices, and then you can find a dealer who sells them (Costco, Discount Tire, etc.).

I got the Continental CrossContact LX25 and I've been very happy with them. My wife has Pirelli Scorpions on her X5 and I would give them equally high marks.
Old 04-15-21, 12:55 PM
HybrdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks ILouder

ILouder I appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Regarding tire depth, I think everyone would recommend replacement at 2/32. 4/32, you are getting very close. I would not want to be in really rainy weather or show at that depth.

This thread will give you a ton of ideas on brands, but the most popular choices are just a few posts up from here (see post 743). The popular choices are near the top of that list. Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear are the ones that get most discussion I think. Tirerack.com is a good resource to help look at different choices, and then you can find a dealer who sells them (Costco, Discount Tire, etc.).

I got the Continental CrossContact LX25 and I've been very happy with them. My wife has Pirelli Scorpions on her X5 and I would give them equally high marks.
1Louder (04-15-21)
Old 04-21-21, 04:10 AM
rburden1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We purchased a 2019 RX350 with 22K miles in January 2021 in SoFlorida that came with Bridgestones. Tires were already worn to the point at first dealer service they recommended replacing them and I had come to same conclusion. I replace the set with Michelin CrossClimate2 at BJs Wholesale Warehouse so we'll see if these can beat 25K miles on the Bridgestones.
Old 04-21-21, 05:08 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by rburden1
We purchased a 2019 RX350 with 22K miles in January 2021 in SoFlorida that came with Bridgestones. Tires were already worn to the point at first dealer service they recommended replacing them and I had come to same conclusion. I replace the set with Michelin CrossClimate2 at BJs Wholesale Warehouse so we'll see if these can beat 25K miles on the Bridgestones.
That tire is rated for heavy snow. Why put that on a Florida car???
Old 04-21-21, 06:14 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Climate change.
xjdl2 (04-22-21)
Old 04-21-21, 09:23 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

The CrossClimate 2 is still an all-season tire with an extra snow rating; and next to the Pilot Sport (which doesn't come in our size afaik), it's probably the best tire that Michelin has made.

I've put over 2k km on mine so far, none in snow, and temps hitting over 25C (77F); and they don't have the squishiness that other all-weathers typically have. They feel solid, yet compliant; and tons of grip in the dry and wet. Road noise is very minimal too.

It starts at 10/32 vs the Premier LTX at 8.5/32 depth, so it should last longer than the Premiers (the Bridgestones are just hopeless even though they started out at 11/32). Even if it doesn't get anywhere close to the 100k km (60k mile) warranty, at least Michelin will likely honor the mileage warranty if it wears out too quickly.

The only knock I can see against the CrossClimate 2 is that they are directional tires (tradeoff for the snow capability I guess), so you just have to watch out when rotating tires. Otherwise highly recommended for most weather conditions.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)