RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 10:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Agreed. The system is a bit of a joke. Wish I could have bought one without it.
Just disable the LKA. The radar cruise works just fine. LKA is a real gimmick to me. I can steer the car just fine.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 01:56 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Just disable the LKA.
I second the motion. LKA lasted about one hour on my 2018.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 02:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I second the motion. LKA lasted about one hour on my 2018.
Killed it on my ES as well. In fact, I rented a Mazda last week on vacation and even turned it off on that.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (05-24-21), dibl (05-21-21), Uzcanadian (05-23-21)
Old 05-22-21, 08:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
+1 on the wandering. I have not played with the settings enough. I don't think there are enough sensors and data being collected to ensure a more straight and consistent assistance mode.
I wonder if part of this issue is also caused by the inconsistent line markings along our highways? I notice some erratic behavior when a line temporarily disappears or a line turns into a dashed line. I just wonder if there is enough reliable input for this type of technology to work as desired.
Old 05-22-21, 05:47 PM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is heading the right. The lane centering technology for Lexus is not up for the game at all. For no matter how much you increase the sensitivity, the lane centering function/technology is garbage.
Old 05-23-21, 12:08 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Killed it on my ES as well. In fact, I rented a Mazda last week on vacation and even turned it off on that.
yeah it’s just too bad we have to lug around all that extra technology that doesn’t work and fix it when it breaks when it brings no benefit to the car.
Old 05-24-21, 10:53 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

The LDA in our 16 RX is just what the name says: Lane departure alert. I still keep it on since if it beeps, it means I'm not doing something right: either crossing the lane unintentionally or crossing without signal.

On our 20 ES the LTA works well. It actually can drive the car centered inside the lane on Highway and also take corners nicely.

It's an evolving technology and gets better with every generation. 16 RX was the infancy stage.
Old 05-24-21, 12:36 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The LDA in our 16 RX is just what the name says: Lane departure alert. I still keep it on since if it beeps, it means I'm not doing something right: either crossing the lane unintentionally or crossing without signal.

On our 20 ES the LTA works well. It actually can drive the car centered inside the lane on Highway and also take corners nicely.

It's an evolving technology and gets better with every generation. 16 RX was the infancy stage.
I think most people are taking about the lane keeping assist which is suppose to take the lane. Terrible system, had no business being in a production vehicle and should have stayed in the testing faze but I guess the Lexus marketing department needed a lift.
Old 05-24-21, 12:58 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

yeah it’s just too bad we have to lug around all that extra technology that doesn’t work and fix it when it breaks when it brings no benefit to the car....
Ha ha ha -- it is software, plus an LED on the dash. (The camera is needed for other functions too.) You're not lugging much! As for fixing -- I'll never need to fix mine. ;-)
Old 05-24-21, 01:51 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibl
Ha ha ha -- it is software, plus an LED on the dash. (The camera is needed for other functions too.) You're not lugging much! As for fixing -- I'll never need to fix mine. ;-)
Just wait until you have a car accident. There is a reason why this car is very expensive to insure. All those sensors and cameras cost a fortune not to mention the reprogramming when you even do as much as unplug one of them.
Old 05-24-21, 02:56 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

I think most people are taking about the lane keeping assist which is suppose to take the lane. Terrible system, had no business being in a production vehicle and should have stayed in the testing faze but I guess the Lexus marketing department needed a lift.
LKA is the next version of LDA and the current version is LTA.

These systems are getting better as more people "test" them.

This is the way the technology is progressing. Before we know it they will be standard equipment like ABS, stability control, TPMS, backup cameras...... I think..

Old 05-24-21, 05:40 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
LKA is the next version of LDA and the current version is LTA.

These systems are getting better as more people "test" them.

This is the way the technology is progressing. Before we know it they will be standard equipment like ABS, stability control, TPMS, backup cameras...... I think..
I haven’t tested it in the most recent years but I hope they have come a long way is all I can say for this thing to be of any use. Begs the question why put it in a vehicle before it’s perfected. I expect the r&d department to do the work, not me. Sad all this stuff is shoved down our throats
Old 05-30-21, 04:29 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I got a 2021 NX for a loaner a few days ago, and I must say the LKA was far superior compared to my 2016 or 17 RX. It really worked well.
Old 05-30-21, 07:56 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Sadly, I don’t disagree. ABS, Stability Control, TPMS & Backup Cameras, all work well & are true safety items. Lane Keep Assist (as well as other so-called safety systems) is not standardized across all makes & models, making it virtually worthless to many users. The higher the tier & price of the vehicle, the more they embed this crap. I would love to buy a new vehicle that doesn’t have this crap. I don’t want radar cruise or lane keep or emergency braking. My Camaro has none of that nonsense, because it gets in the way of real driving.
Head on collisions are still one of the highest accidents. These assists are meant to avoid cars veering onto oncoming traffic, hence saving lives.

Not everyone will agree, same as seatbelts, and many other things.... Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 05-30-21, 08:05 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Sadly, I don’t disagree. ABS, Stability Control, TPMS & Backup Cameras, all work well & are true safety items. Lane Keep Assist (as well as other so-called safety systems) is not standardized across all makes & models, making it virtually worthless to many users. The higher the tier & price of the vehicle, the more they embed this crap. I would love to buy a new vehicle that doesn’t have this crap. I don’t want radar cruise or lane keep or emergency braking. My Camaro has none of that nonsense, because it gets in the way of real driving.
My experience is quite different. I am grateful of these systems. In our family with very experienced drivers, the emergency warnings and break has reacted far faster when another driver does unexpected stupid things: jump into a lane when there is not enough clearance for their big truck, slam on the breaks in the middle of the highway because they just missed their exit, jump in and out of an HOV line due to slow traffic into 70MPH traffic, distracted by their phone and come barreling straight on, etc. Even pedestrian that jump into a street with moving traffic. The park assist, cross traffic warning, and backup cameras also have prevented minor and big accidents when backing out of a parking that has been blinded by vans or big trucks park next to the car. Those safety systems have save us from several accidents. Not counting, the many times I have seen the lane keep assist help distracted drivers realize they are drifting out of their lane on cars driving in lanes next to my car.

Fortunately, you can turn off these features if you do not like them, but they do not really add much to the cost of a car. The cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radars, and microprocessors on these systems are under $200. The major cost is the calibration, extra installation, and alignment. Car manufacturers just charge a lot for their perceived value. Moreover, many customers have seen their value and embraced them, particularly with so much distracted driving. So it is a new way for car manufacturers to sell new cars, or provide a good reason for someone to upgrade their vehicle. Granted, these systems are not perfect, but they are getting better with improvements in processing power, sensors, and cameras. In all, these safety systems add an extra layer of protection, like wearing a seat belt. I will not buy a car in the future that does not have these safety systems.

One thing I would wish, is that all these cameras and sensors were also used as dashcam and security systems when the car is parked.
The following 4 users liked this post by lexnewbi:
Bigjer2 (05-31-21), jollick (06-01-21), redhot47fl (05-30-21), rxtimes2 (05-31-21)

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering