RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 09:03 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
My experience is quite different. I am grateful of these systems. In our family with very experienced drivers, the emergency warnings and break has reacted far faster when another driver does unexpected stupid things: jump into a lane when there is not enough clearance for their big truck, slam on the breaks in the middle of the highway because they just missed their exit, jump in and out of an HOV line due to slow traffic into 70MPH traffic, distracted by their phone and come barreling straight on, etc. Even pedestrian that jump into a street with moving traffic. The park assist, cross traffic warning, and backup cameras also have prevented minor and big accidents when backing out of a parking that has been blinded by vans or big trucks park next to the car. Those safety systems have save us from several accidents. Not counting, the many times I have seen the lane keep assist help distracted drivers realize they are drifting out of their lane on cars driving in lanes next to my car.

Fortunately, you can turn off these features if you do not like them, but they do not really add much to the cost of a car. The cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radars, and microprocessors on these systems are under $200. The major cost is the calibration, extra installation, and alignment. Car manufacturers just charge a lot for their perceived value. Moreover, many customers have seen their value and embraced them, particularly with so much distracted driving. So it is a new way for car manufacturers to sell new cars, or provide a good reason for someone to upgrade their vehicle. Granted, these systems are not perfect, but they are getting better with improvements in processing power, sensors, and cameras. In all, these safety systems add an extra layer of protection, like wearing a seat belt. I will not buy a car in the future that does not have these safety systems.

One thing I would wish, is that all these cameras and sensors were also used as dashcam and security systems when the car is parked.

I agree, but also as a dashcam replacement, where it would be integrated with the screen and be a total replacement for dashcams.
Old 05-30-21, 07:53 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience is quite different. I am grateful of these systems. In our family with very experienced drivers, the emergency warnings and break has reacted far faster when another driver does unexpected stupid things: jump into a lane when there is not enough clearance for their big truck, slam on the breaks in the middle of the highway because they just missed their exit, jump in and out of an HOV line due to slow traffic into 70MPH traffic, distracted by their phone and come barreling straight on, etc. Even pedestrian that jump into a street with moving traffic. The park assist, cross traffic warning, and backup cameras also have prevented minor and big accidents when backing out of a parking that has been blinded by vans or big trucks park next to the car. Those safety systems have save us from several accidents. Not counting, the many times I have seen the lane keep assist help distracted drivers realize they are drifting out of their lane on cars driving in lanes next to my car.

Fortunately, you can turn off these features if you do not like them, but they do not really add much to the cost of a car. The major cost is the calibration, extra installation, and alignment. Car manufacturers just charge a lot for their perceived value. Moreover, many customers have seen their value and embraced them, particularly with so much distracted driving. So it is a new way for car manufacturers to sell new cars, or provide a good reason for someone to upgrade their vehicle. Granted, these systems are not perfect, but they are getting better with improvements in processing power, sensors, and cameras. In all, these safety systems add an extra layer of protection, like wearing a seat belt. I will not buy a car in the future that does not have these safety systems.

One thing I would wish, is that all these cameras and sensors were also used as dashcam and security systems when the car is parked.
Someone forgot to tell the automakers that “The cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radars, and microprocessors on these systems are under $200” - have you seen the replacement price of some of the cameras and associated modules? Im

I would also suggest that there safety features are making us all worse drivers. The more the car does, the less the driver pays attention as even evidenced by automatic transmissions vs manual transmissions. My view is that drivers assistance systems will be short lived and we will quickly go to full automation as doing half the drivers job doesn’t allow him to better focus on driving so much as allow him to stare at his cell phone that much more.
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (05-31-21)
Old 05-30-21, 07:58 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Head on collisions are still one of the highest accidents. These assists are meant to avoid cars veering onto oncoming traffic, hence saving lives.

Not everyone will agree, same as seatbelts, and many other things.... Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If I relied on my lka to prevent me from veering off into oncoming traffic, I probably would t be here making this post.
Old 05-30-21, 08:07 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Someone forgot to tell the automakers that “The cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radars, and microprocessors on these systems are under $200” - have you seen the replacement price of some of the cameras and associated modules?
Yes, isn't out ridiculous how much they charge. Just like navigation systems: Add a $10 DVD reader with a $25 microprocessor system, a $5 GPS, and a $30 VGA LCD panel and charge $2k. You can buy a tablet with GPS, microphones, speakers, better touch screen, and many other features for less than $300.

It's also scary how stupid people believe the safety system can take over. Just google all the Tesla car crashes where the driver was letting the car drive itself without supervision... Even I get confused with some road markings that do not make sense. Can't imagine how a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor could make sense on those roads.
Old 05-30-21, 08:20 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, isn't out ridiculous how much they charge. Just like navigation systems: Add a $10 DVD reader with a $25 microprocessor system, a $5 GPS, and a $30 VGA LCD panel and charge $2k. You can buy a tablet with GPS, microphones, speakers, better touch screen, and many other features for less than $300.

It's also scary how stupid people believe the safety system can take over. Just google all the Tesla car crashes where the driver was letting the car drive itself without supervision... Even I get confused with some road markings that do not make sense. Can't imagine how a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor could make sense on those roads.
“how a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor could make sense on those roads.” Computers react much faster than human drivers. However, the state of autonomous technology as of now still requires human attention because we are in the middle of building the technology. So I don’t think you should assume a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor cannot make sense of the roads. It totally can sooner than later.

Just wait for it. The time when autonomous cars and AI are more superior than human drivers will come soon.

Think back how technology has been evolving in the last 30 years, it will only get better from here.

“Just google all the Tesla car crashes where the driver was letting the car drive itself without supervision...” So have you researched how many people die a year when the human drivers fall asleep or gets distracted?

The fact that some stupid people don’t monitor their tesla does not mean autonomous technology is worse than human drivers.

Last edited by qvtruong; 05-30-21 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-30-21, 08:39 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qvtruong
“how a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor could make sense on those roads.” Computers react much faster than human drivers. However, the state of autonomous technology as of now still requires human attention because we are in the middle of building the technology. So I don’t think you should assume a few cameras and a simple $100 microprocessor cannot make sense of the roads. It totally can sooner than later.

Just wait for it. The time when autonomous cars and AI are more superior than human drivers will come soon.

Think back how technology has been evolving in the last 30 years, it will only get better from here.

“Just google all the Tesla car crashes where the driver was letting the car drive itself without supervision...” So have you researched how many people die a year when the human drivers fall asleep or gets distracted?

The fact that some stupid people don’t monitor their tesla does not mean autonomous technology is worse than human drivers.
No question it’s coming fast. It is and will be more to do with societal and legal hurtles that holds it up than from the technology its self. Pretty bleak future for the car enthusiast so I’ll do my best to avoid as many advanced driver assistance systems during my last bastion of freedom before the machines take over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uzcanadian:
gadgetman1 (05-30-21), Nail34 (05-31-21)
Old 05-30-21, 08:44 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

It’s completely outrageous. This technology has given automakers pretty good profits on replacement parts for these systems but more importantly it’s allowed them to monopolize the repair work with the recalibration. For an automaker it’s the best thing that ever happened to them. Icing on the cake is that they get to say that they are putting it in the car for you the customer.
Old 05-31-21, 09:31 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

No question it’s coming fast. It is and will be more to do with societal and legal hurtles that holds it up than from the technology its self. Pretty bleak future for the car enthusiast so I’ll do my best to avoid as many advanced driver assistance systems during my last bastion of freedom before the machines take over.
Oh I agree, it's coming fast and computers can do a much better job given enough data and good algorithms. In the next 10 years, autonomous driving will take over delivery trucks and passenger cars. It will be interesting how these computers will handle unavoidable accidents and the ethical ramifications: does it kill a pedestrian to not hit a car, or hit a car killing its occupant to avoid hitting a pedestrian...

It's just some areas will need better road design for these systems to navigate. For example, this intersection always confuses me:

Crazy intersection on a Texas highway bridge

Crazy intersection on a Texas highway bridge
Old 05-31-21, 11:41 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 381 Posts

LOL! Imagine if the traffic lights go out......
The following 3 users liked this post by ravenuer:
Nail34 (05-31-21), rxtimes2 (06-01-21), TechNut (06-01-21)
Old 06-21-21, 12:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Long-ish demo video of the systems in the RX, let me know if there's anything I missed!

Old 06-21-21, 02:11 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

It’s completely outrageous. This technology has given automakers pretty good profits on replacement parts for these systems but more importantly it’s allowed them to monopolize the repair work with the recalibration.
I suppose there's truth in that, IF you have a wreck or some kind of failure out of warranty. My 2018 has been on the road over 3 years, and my total expense related to the tech is zero. I turned off the LKA on day 1 -- I hated the steering wheel buzzing my hands on the secondary roads and streets. I like the parking assist and the radar cruise control, and I love the backup camera and the map on the nav. So I'm a fan of most of it, although I agree that it should not be an excuse to play with your phone when you're driving.

Old 06-22-21, 09:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Long-ish demo video of the systems in the RX, let me know if there's anything I missed!

https://youtu.be/y3lQCndrzhc
My personal assessment of the RX systems, is they are some of the worst systems of any brand car I have driven. The radar cruise will scare the crap out of you on highway curves when it “thinks” a vehicle is in your lane, but in fact, it’s not. The lane keep assist only works when the lines are clearly marked on the pavement, something that is lacking here in the sun-backed southwest. Also, the rear cross traffic alert is almost useless. It will not pick up pedestrians or even a train of shopping carts moving past. It often doesn’t even pick up vehicles until they are nearly centered behind the car. It’s too late then! Nothing is standardized across all makes. This equipment is a waste of money & actually could be a safety hazard in some cases (as in slamming on the brakes on the Highway when it incorrectly “thinks” another vehicle is in your lane of travel or when you back into a shopping cart train! The menus to turn this junk off are convoluted & fussy. I am NOT a believer in Toyota’s system & feel they are a hazard, providing false security to many drivers.
Old 06-22-21, 12:47 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't believe in some of these safety aids that car manufactures are adding these days. I agree with gadgetman1 point that they can be unreliable. It also makes drivers depend on technology to drive and create bad driving habits.

Dang, you must pass a driver's test for license, and then go buy a car to correct the questions you got wrong. I think if you can’t drive good enough to stay between the road lines. You may need a little more practice and not a car to help you or tell you when you're too tired to drive. So, will we still need a driver's license to operate an autonomous vehicle?
Old 09-27-21, 12:19 PM
Shinytop
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LTA Not Very Good

My lane keeping assist is not working well. The car goes from side to side and over the line before corrective steering kicks in. Not good enough. I have seen YT videos of the set up and in one of those the center screen has an LTA button you can select and you can choose centering. My 450H luxury is not showing that LTA button. When I turn LTA on from the steering wheel it shows it is on but does not center. Any suggestions? It is a 2020 with every option I know of.
Old 09-27-21, 12:40 PM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My '17 will pull to the right until it crosses the line and lane departure warning kicks in, this feature simply does not work. It feels like it's not calibrated properly or something.

Would be nice if this worked for the long drives on cruise control but you have to fight the steering wheel or it will run into the car if there's one on the right side.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering