RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 01:27 PM
Shinytop
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had lane keep assist on two prior cars where it worked perfectly. One was a Honda CRV hybrid and the other a Tesla Model X. My 17 Highlander also did not work so I guess Toyota just has not yet figured it out.
Old 09-27-21, 04:42 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmonster
My '17 will pull to the right until it crosses the line and lane departure warning kicks in, this feature simply does not work. It feels like it's not calibrated properly or something.

Would be nice if this worked for the long drives on cruise control but you have to fight the steering wheel or it will run into the car if there's one on the right side.
My 2017 had this problem till I changed the setting to keep lane center, but it only works when on cruise.
Old 09-27-21, 06:55 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

My 16 RX doesn't have Lane Tracing Assist, only Lane departure alert. And it does only that: Alert.

My 20 ES had LTA and it works perfectly. It seems like they might have figured it out on the new models. Maybe the next RX will have a better system, imo.

Old 09-28-21, 04:26 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
My 2017 had this problem till I changed the setting to keep lane center, but it only works when on cruise.
I would like to check my 2020 RX to see where it is set. Can you elaborate on "keep lane center"? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-25-22, 03:23 PM
member1975
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane Center ON is not consistent center

Does anyone out there having the same problem with Lane Center ON mode while on cruise control? My car is RX 350 year 2022.
When I cruise on the open freeway straight line, the car keep drifting slowly to the right and then pull back to the left but it never been in the center of of Lane. I have to steer back in the center but the it does not stay in the center for more than 10-15 second regarding of the condition of the freeway and definitely my car does not have any wheel alignment issue (perfect). I brought in the car dealer and they cannot find nothing wrong with this issue because there is no way that they can test my car in the open highway with a reasonable distance driving at their location in dense traffic city surround their location. I did call to Lexus.com and give verbal complaint and set up the case no. and hopefully someone can help me out.
Old 10-26-22, 02:39 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
For me, it is good on a straight line. However, after a few min it will hug a lane and compensate and oversteer. But it also tells you to keep your hands on the wheels so I just use a finger and lightly nudge it back.

This isn't a mercedes or tesla. Lexus is behind on these features so don't expect anything crazy!
Until 6 months ago when I purchased this RX450hL I drove a Tesla Model S for 6 years and the Lexus. is about as good as the Tesla was in self steering. However you MUST keep your hands on the steering wheel of both because you can't 100% depend on it to make the right choice. There's a mindset where you're relaxed but alert. I don't know about the Mercedes auto steer but I assume it's about the same.
Old 10-28-22, 10:18 AM
member1975
2nd gear

I agreed "it is not Tesla", but the radar or sensor is far from perfection. I currently owed both RX350 2019 and RX350 2022 with a lot of driving on a long open highway interstate from CA to AZ "every 3 weeks driving". While I was on cruising mode and it was approaching to the 18 wheels truck on a side which there are only few feet away from this big rig that will get my "high blood pressure" up instantly! By the way, I had a total nice experience with Hyundai Santa Fee rental car last month in TX, its' lane center mode is so good that I can't even compare between my RX350 and this rental car with total 500 miles trip.
Old 12-30-22, 11:23 AM
fronttwelv
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lane Keep Assist being dodgy

Purchased the car March 2020. We didn’t drive too much because COVID the first year or so. But I noticed when I turn on the LCA the car will not stay in the lane. It veers to the right pretty hard. This happens on the freeway and city streets. I really want this feature to work. Is there a way to adjust it?
i complained to the dealer. Took the service manager on a ride. I turned on the LCA, it swerved right for the right ditch. I grabbed the wheel to stay on the road. I looked over at him and he said that’s how it works. My response was, “wrong! Try again big guy”.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (12-30-22)
Old 01-03-23, 07:07 PM
bestball
2nd gear

Same thing happens to my RX350 (2018)
Old 01-03-23, 07:12 PM
bestball
2nd gear

Hi Gatr, I'm interested in your problem. Seems the LKA had worked well until the navigation system was reset. Have you figured it out? Thx
Old 01-03-23, 09:33 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m convinced that most of these so-called safety features are nothing but profit generators for automakers. I don’t want them & I don’t want to pay extra for them. I don’t need a nanny to babysit my driving. I recently had an IS 350 as a loaner & between the unrefined, buzzy turbo 4 & the annoying “safety” gear, I was really missing my smooth RX 450h.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
coolbrazz (01-04-23), ravenuer (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 08:57 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’m convinced that most of these so-called safety features are nothing but profit generators for automakers. I don’t want them & I don’t want to pay extra for them. I don’t need a nanny to babysit my driving. I recently had an IS 350 as a loaner & between the unrefined, buzzy turbo 4 & the annoying “safety” gear, I was really missing my smooth RX 450h.
That’s why there is chocolate and vanilla. I actually like and use most of these features. I think some people do get a false sense of security with them, forgetting they are merely intended to assist the driver, not REPLACE the driver. With that mindset, I don’t consider them intrusive or controlling. Frankly, that was one of the motivations for both of our last two car purchases and we are happy with those choices. In all fairness, I worked my entire career in tech, including some early efforts in programming, so I may have a different take on embedded technology in automotive applications. Just sayin, I like the safety features but respect that the next person may not.
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
coolbrazz (01-04-23), gadgetman1 (01-04-23), jollick (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 09:29 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Glad they give you a choice on which feature to turn off or to leave on. Personally I don't leave many on, but in my wife's & daughter's car I leave more of these features on. When we got our first RX in 2016 all these features were turned on and some were very annoying which forced me to read the manual sooner than I wanted.
gadgetman1 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 11:03 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
That’s why there is chocolate and vanilla. I actually like and use most of these features. I think some people do get a false sense of security with them, forgetting they are merely intended to assist the driver, not REPLACE the driver. With that mindset, I don’t consider them intrusive or controlling. Frankly, that was one of the motivations for both of our last two car purchases and we are happy with those choices. In all fairness, I worked my entire career in tech, including some early efforts in programming, so I may have a different take on embedded technology in automotive applications. Just sayin, I like the safety features but respect that the next person may not.
You nailed it! I’m certainly all about tech, but I want to choose what & how I use it. I’m against anything with artificial intelligence (AI) running things. Some folks like that type of equipment & that’s OK. I strongly believe that it should be back on the option list, so folks can choose to buy it or not. When I’m forced to buy extras I don’t like or want, I run the other way. I prefer an automatic transmission over a manual, but I own both for different reasons. I guess I’m old school, with a modern twist.
coolbrazz (01-04-23)
Old 01-05-23, 04:00 PM
Tundra07
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
Got it thanks - then I definitely haven't felt lane centering since I've never even tried the Radar cruise. Too afraid since I have no experience with cruise control... I'm guessing it's gonna be next to useless on Toronto highways given the maniacs here :P
The dynamic cruise is a great system actually in that it will even work in stop and go traffic. So long as you don’t remain completely stopped for more than 4 seconds. Who hasn’t been surprised by traffic coming to a sharper stop than you were expecting? Unlike my Tundra, where it won’t work below 30 mph.
I think people confuse the LKA with lane centering. Big difference. The LKA isn’t designed to steer smoothly for you (which is why it requires your hand on the wheel.) It’s there to physically ASSIST distracted driver from departing a marked lane. I use it with the cruise on highways.
The Lane Departure Alert is the vibrating steering wheel. It’s there to tell you’re driving like a a slob. Unless you’re really moving and NEED to cut a corner, you’re just being lazy. I see people taking 25-35mph sweeping curves 1/4-1/2 over a lane line or bicycle lane? Really? You can’t keep it in a lane at those speeds?
I turn it off on a really narrow, curvy roads and I also tend to push pretty hard when I can, but around town, nah.
It’s not a hands free system. At all. Don’t like it? Turn it off.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering