RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 07:59 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

RXtimes2, I got you by a couple of years and mine was a 54 Chevy! Got my million mile pin when I retired, 25 years ago! I agree, traded the 11 RX for the 17 just to get the safety stuff. Some of it I like, some I don't use and some I don't trust. But it is watching the road 24/7.

Still looking for somebody who's Lane assist/centering doesn't work properly and if the dealer could fix it and how?

Bill
Old 07-28-20, 07:46 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lane Center

I am not sure if every model has the "lane center" option but my 2018 RX350L has that option and it is turned on but it does not keep my car in the center lane as the option implies.
the car behaves the same regardless of the option is on or off.

anyone, that has that options experience similar issues?
Old 07-28-20, 08:24 AM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueOX
I am not sure if every model has the "lane center" option but my 2018 RX350L has that option and it is turned on but it does not keep my car in the center lane as the option implies.
the car behaves the same regardless of the option is on or off.

anyone, that has that options experience similar issues?
That's weird. Are you sure it's on? Has it identified the lanes - if not then it won't do anything.

The lane keep kind of gives you a "nudge" if you're off the lane, doesn't do a terribly good job of actually keeping you in a lane from videos I've seen.
Old 07-28-20, 08:37 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There are two systems that affect steering, not sure exactly what each is are called.

One is the very gentle nudge of the steering wheel when you are drifting close to a lane edge. The second is the more aggressive feature that's available when using dynamic cruise control. This one is a lot more forceful and in theory would steer the car on it's own on minor turns.

The one with dynamic cruise control is nice but it really pulls to the right on my car. It wan'ts to ride right on top of the line on the right hand side to the point I have to switch it off.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (07-28-20)
Old 07-28-20, 09:03 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The fact Lexus has a gazillion names for these systems does not help, but all of the lane functions are bundled under the Lane Keep Assist system for pre-refresh 4RXs, and under the Lane Tracing Assist system for post-refresh 4RXs.

There's Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/ SA) - LDA gently nudges you if you're drifting close to the edge of a lane, and SA may gently provide small steering corrections. However, the system only operates at speeds of 32 mph or 50 km/h and higher. It also does not operate if you're going through a steep bend and if the camera cannot recognize the lane lines.

You also have a Lane Centering function that operates only when the full-speed dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC) is on (RXs with partial-speed DRCC do not have this option), and that's the more aggressive one mrmonster is referring to. 2020+ RXs have an improved Lane Centering function with better camera recognition of lanes and can actually follow the car ahead of you so the system doesn't have to rely on lane lines.
Old 07-28-20, 10:07 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

the car behaves the same regardless of the option is on or off. anyone, that has that options experience similar issues?
What Mrmonster said, it actually only comes on when in cruise control.
Old 07-28-20, 10:22 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

I am not talking about the LKA which I know it works, It is the Lane Center option. It should keep my car center in the lane when it is on, it is not doing that. My daughter 2019 corolla SE has Lane Center feature and it works fine.

Last edited by TrueOX; 07-28-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 10:40 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

I'll take a picture of that option once I have my car back from service, it has a few recalls.
Old 07-28-20, 11:42 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't notice any lane centering on my '17 when the dynamic cruise "auto pilot" is not enabled. If I were to call anything "lane centering" it's this dynamic cruise feature which on my car pulls too much to the right.
Old 07-28-20, 12:26 PM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure about 2017 but it is part of LKA settings. if you going the LKA settings, Lane center is one of the sub-option and I have it ON but it does not keep my car center. My car sway left and right but never consistently keeping my car in the center lane. My Carolina SE does a much better job.
Old 07-28-20, 01:14 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmonster
I don't notice any lane centering on my '17 when the dynamic cruise "auto pilot" is not enabled. If I were to call anything "lane centering" it's this dynamic cruise feature which on my car pulls too much to the right.
When I got my RX, I had the same concern as you. My dealer rep told me the steering assist function does not really react until the very last minute. Not sure how accurate that is, but I'm never in a situation where I've had to use steering assist.

I just had a look at the owner's manual and here are the requirements in order for the steering assist to function with LDA:
  1. Setting for “Steering Assist” in of the multi-information display is set to “On”.
  2. Vehicle is not accelerated or decelerated by a fixed amount or more.
  3. Steering wheel is not operated with a steering force level suitable for changing lanes.
  4. ABS, VSC, TRAC and PCS are not operating.
  5. TRAC or VSC is not turned off.

Last edited by AndrewTO; 07-28-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 02:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 867 Likes on 654 Posts

Find and change the "Sensitivity" to High rather than the default Standard.
The system reacts sooner and oscillates less side to side.
Note: this whole system is not autonomous driving, not even close.
Old 07-30-20, 07:23 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

changed the sensitivity to high did not keep my car in the center of the lane like suppose option implies, It is still hugging the right lane mostly. My 2019 Carolla SE does a better job of keeping my car in the center of the lane. Grrr.
Old 07-30-20, 09:42 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

changed the sensitivity to high did not keep my car in the center of the lane like suppose option implies, It is still hugging the right lane mostly. My 2019 Carolla SE does a better job of keeping my car in the center of the lane. Grrr.
Perhaps the '18s and '20s are different, but on my 2020 Lane Centering is a function of Lane Trace Assist. LTA must be enabled and several other conditions met for it to work. I don't normally use it, but I did try it this morning and it seemed to do a decent job of centering in the lane. It did not kick in to vehicle follow mode, at least not that I noticed.

Has the windshield in your vehicle ever been replaced? It seems like the problem could be a camera calibration issue, and windshield replacements are prime time for miscalibrations to occur.

You probably know this already, but there are several requirements for Lane Centering to work, including: LTA enabled, dynamic radar cruise enabled, Steering Assist and Lane Centering both enabled in the MID, lane lines are clearly visible and between 10 and 13 ft apart. Maybe this is only on the 2020's, but the thing also has a vehicle follow mode that can kick in if lane lines are unclear and there is another vehicle within range. A little vehicle icon with a 'tow chain' appears in the MID if this feature is in use. Does yours always hug the right lane line? If you have the vehicle-follow feature, does it ever kick in to that mode and, if so, does the lane-hugging behavior change?

Old 07-30-20, 09:49 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

all features relating to LKAs are enabled as they should and yes, it keeps hugging the right lane mostly. if one of the sub-option is "Lane Center" and it is ON, it should keep my vehicle in the center of the lane and not hugging the right lane .

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering