RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 06:24 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I changed the sensitivity and it did tighten up the side to side sway. It is not perfectly centered 100% of the time, but I do not expect it to be. On a self driving vehicle I would.
Old 07-31-20, 06:46 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When we picked up our "new to us" 2018 RX 350 about a year ago, the lane centering function was turned on. OMG, what a terrible device. We drove a curvy mountain road right after the purchase and it was so obnoxious that I had to pull over and read the owner's manual so I could disable it. It's been off ever since, never to get turned on again. Just my opinion--your's may be different.
Old 07-31-20, 10:34 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
When we picked up our "new to us" 2018 RX 350 about a year ago, the lane centering function was turned on. OMG, what a terrible device. We drove a curvy mountain road right after the purchase and it was so obnoxious that I had to pull over and read the owner's manual so I could disable it. It's been off ever since, never to get turned on again. Just my opinion--your's may be different.
Did the same thing with my 2017.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew2020 (08-04-20)
Old 07-31-20, 03:37 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

Mine stays off, too, unless I have to drive while tired on a highway. The problem with these "assist" technologies is they violate the pilot-in-command concept. Either the car can drive or I can, but we both can't do it.

Last edited by bamalam; 08-02-20 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 08:08 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Totally agree -- before I ordered my 2018 RX, I test drove one. It had the LKA on and it buzzed the steering wheel multiple times as I was driving through my part of town. So when I went to pick up my new car, before I left with it, I had my tech turn off LKA, and that is where it will stay.
Old 08-02-20, 10:03 AM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

So just to be clear - wheel vibration/buzzing = LKA correct? How can you tell the diff when it's LKA vs Lane centering that's being activated?

Last edited by blayze1983; 08-02-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 12:43 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
So just to be clear - wheel vibration/buzzing = LKA correct? How can you tell the diff when it's LKA vs Lane centering that's being activated?
Wheel vibration/buzzing is the Lane Departure Alert. Lane Centering is only activated when you have all-speed DRCC on, and it does a much better job at keeping you away from the lane edge comparatively to the Steering Assist that's part of Lane Departure Alert.
Old 08-02-20, 02:14 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Wheel vibration/buzzing is the Lane Departure Alert. Lane Centering is only activated when you have all-speed DRCC on, and it does a much better job at keeping you away from the lane edge comparatively to the Steering Assist that's part of Lane Departure Alert.
Got it thanks - then I definitely haven't felt lane centering since I've never even tried the Radar cruise. Too afraid since I have no experience with cruise control... I'm guessing it's gonna be next to useless on Toronto highways given the maniacs here :P
Old 08-03-20, 10:59 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My lane centering feature is next to useless. It pulls so bad to the right it actually goes over the line triggering lane departure warnings. Anyone know if this can be corrected by a competent dealer?
Old 08-03-20, 12:08 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmonster
My lane centering feature is next to useless. It pulls so bad to the right it actually goes over the line triggering lane departure warnings. Anyone know if this can be corrected by a competent dealer?
Do you have all-speed DRCC turned on when this happens? Lane centering is only activated with full-speed DRCC on.

Otherwise, it's Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist that's supposed to keep you within the lanes and you can change the sensitivity in the menu inside the gauge cluster. But truthfully, it's not a good system even when functioning normally.
Old 08-03-20, 12:34 PM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Do you have all-speed DRCC turned on when this happens? Lane centering is only activated with full-speed DRCC on.

Otherwise, it's Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist that's supposed to keep you within the lanes and you can change the sensitivity in the menu inside the gauge cluster. But truthfully, it's not a good system even when functioning normally.
Yes, this is on the highway using the dynamic cruise control. I have to fight the steering wheel to keep the car from rolling onto the right lane.
Old 11-08-20, 07:15 AM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

LKA is useless in my 2017 RX, it always hugs the edge of the lane before centering. I am surprised it hasn't been improved yet in 2020. I rented a Kia soul, and its LKA was awesome. You could literally let go of the steering wheel, and it would keep it in the center on straight lanes, and well in those tight curve roads as well.
Old 11-08-20, 08:17 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4rx
LKA is useless in my 2017 RX, it always hugs the edge of the lane before centering. I am surprised it hasn't been improved yet in 2020. I rented a Kia soul, and its LKA was awesome. You could literally let go of the steering wheel, and it would keep it in the center on straight lanes, and well in those tight curve roads as well.
My 16 RX doesn't have LKA or LTA, but the 20 ES had LTA which is great. The car drives itself staying perfectly centered in the lane and no bouncing back and forth.
Old 11-08-20, 08:39 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4rx
I have found these systems, no matter the brand, are largely dependent on the condition of the road lines & weather. The better the lines are painted on the road & the better the weather, the better the systems work.
Old 11-09-20, 11:29 AM
tyue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LTA seems like a big marketing gimmick. With the LTA activated, the car does not drive in a straight line, when I want to make corrections to make sure my RX350L drives in a straight line, I have to fight the steering wheel.

We ended up disabling it.
The following 2 users liked this post by tyue:
gadgetman1 (11-10-20), ravenuer (11-10-20)

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering