RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 03:34 AM
XPilotX
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
You can adjust the DRCC range yourself. It's the button on the bottom right of the steering wheel that looks like the front of a vehicle with sound waves in front of it (Or, if you prefer, a Wi-Fi indicator.) Tapping the button cycles through the ranges; there are 3-4, as I recall.

BTW, the dynamic cruise control is different that lane keep assist/lane tracking, and they can be enabled/disabled independently. (I know you can disable lane keep assist/lane tracking while using dynamic cruise, but am not certain the reverse is true.)
You must not live in NYC. If you give 1” too much space in between the car in front of you, someone will cut in. The closest follow distance in the DRCC is about 3x this amount. If you use DRCC in NYC, you will constantly be cut off. You pretty much have to tail the car in front of you.
Old 03-04-21, 06:39 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by XPilotX
You must not live in NYC. If you give 1” too much space in between the car in front of you, someone will cut in. The closest follow distance in the DRCC is about 3x this amount. If you use DRCC in NYC, you will constantly be cut off. You pretty much have to tail the car in front of you.
Even in Texas it’s a worthless feature. On the highway it causes ungraceful & annoying slowing when your not expecting it & often reacts to vehicles in a different lane. It’s complete garbage to me & infuriates me that I have to pay extra for stuff that’s not perfected & I don’t want - ever! It really chaps me that it can’t be permanently turned off & you have to select it each & every time you start the car. Some people don’t use a radio, but it stays off unless one turns it on & leaves it on I guess it’s time to go look at other manufacturer’s similar equipment & decide which me I can eliminate or live with.
Old 03-04-21, 08:07 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

You guys should check this out: https://comma.ai/

You can add Tesla-ish self driving feature to the car.
Old 03-04-21, 04:34 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Even in Texas it’s a worthless feature. On the highway it causes ungraceful & annoying slowing when your not expecting it & often reacts to vehicles in a different lane. It’s complete garbage to me & infuriates me that I have to pay extra for stuff that’s not perfected & I don’t want - ever! It really chaps me that it can’t be permanently turned off & you have to select it each & every time you start the car. Some people don’t use a radio, but it stays off unless one turns it on & leaves it on I guess it’s time to go look at other manufacturer’s similar equipment & decide which me I can eliminate or live with.
This is technology for its own sake!
Useless features only implemented to give bling to the vehicle for better sales, they are ubiquitous! Every make and model has them, but only because people request them, it's just enough to see in this forum how people get hung up on techno crap.
Old 03-04-21, 04:42 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
So, you engage cruise control immediately when you start your car? "Each & every time?" I'm glad I don't live anywhere near you.
Old 03-04-21, 08:22 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
This is technology for its own sake!
Useless features only implemented to give bling to the vehicle for better sales, they are ubiquitous! Every make and model has them, but only because people request them, it's just enough to see in this forum how people get hung up on techno crap.
Agreed. I like technology, but this stuff is too far. I don’t want self driving or anything close. Even though I like gadgets, I like them on my terms, since I’m paying for it. I’m just fine with normal cruise & I don’t need some stupid shaking steering wheel if I need to use the shoulder. I’m an adult & if I’m that tired, I’ll pull over & take a nap. I certainly don’t need to spend money for something I don’t need or want. I don’t know enough about the other so-called safety features to like or dislike them.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
Cocal (03-05-21), connrodd (03-04-21)
Old 05-07-21, 10:06 PM
benmingli
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Lane Keeping Assist leans towards left

When doing cruise control, the Lane Keeping Assist (icon is green) will keep trying to pull the vehicle to the very left side (not in the centre of the lane)

Does anyone have the same issue?

LKA works better if I'm in middle lane with both lines in white colour.

Thanks
Old 05-08-21, 08:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 381 Posts

Never used LKA. I'd rather steer my car myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by ravenuer:
RGSW (05-08-21), RickC5 (05-11-21)
Old 05-08-21, 09:54 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

Don’t think it’s color related. You can see that the lane keep assist detects both lines in your HUD. In most instances I would say the system performs better during the day time with clearly marked lines then at night. See if it pulls during the day time on a bright sunny day. Also make sure your sensors / cameras are clear of dirt and debris.

mine does an decent job at keeping the car in between the lanes even during turns. Although like most autonomous systems, I find it more of a hassle to monitor than driving it myself.

But I do really like that radar cruise control. It even comes to a complete stop and re accelerate. Good for stop and go traffic.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 10:26 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

LKA works best when on cruise control.
Old 05-08-21, 12:46 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

I also thought mine would favor one side or another depending on the stretch of road im on. I really think its the seating position in the driver seat that makes it look like its favoring one side. Most car manufactures cheat the side impact crash test by having the front seats at an angle to distribute force away from the driver and lexus isnt an exception. Have you looked in your side mirrors to see how much space you got on both sides in relation to the rear tires and the lane markers? I though mine was off but checking the side mirrors it looked about even so I wouldnt care lol. When radar/adaptive cruise control is first turned on, it will always pull me to the right, and if i dont correct it and let the car correct it, then it will do its stupid "hands on the wheel/beep" thing and then always slightly pull to the left after correcting itself. I really only do that so I avoid the sun burning my left arm and can comfortably steer with my right hand lol
Old 05-08-21, 01:24 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 457 Posts

You should speak with your dealership, this maybe a calibration issue. There is a thorough calibration process for LKA that is available.
Old 05-10-21, 08:17 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I find it the LKA has a hard time with some road lane markings. In your case, it might be following the edge of the wall and road instead of the yellow line. It works the best on dark asphalt roads with good yellow or white lines. On concrete road and angle of sun or at night, it does not work as well as on asphalt roads.

One quirk that irritates me is when I am on the right side of the road and there is an exit from the highway, it tends to center the car between the lines. So the car deviates from the middle of the right lane and does to the center between the exit lane and the right lane. I need to constantly nudge it back to the right lane of the road so go off the right lane once the exit lane passes.
Old 05-11-21, 07:28 PM
benmingli
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for your inputs. They are all very helpful... I'll talk to the dealer in the 1 month appointment.
Old 05-11-21, 08:30 PM
Nkd15
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up my new 2021 RX and was trying lane assist/steering assist on the highway with cruise control on. It seemed to be ping ponging left and right between the lines whenever I turned it on, is that normal? I've only tried it the one time so far, will keep trying it out on different highways but it felt almost unusable

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering