RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic moon roof catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 10:17 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The last guy that reported the issue here had to fight with Lexus corp but in the end they covered it. I'm in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, maybe even hotter here. I will ensure that we avoid this option on our future RX.
Old 07-31-18, 10:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I love my pano roof

I had it parked outside in 120 degree weather and no issues since 2016.
The following users liked this post:
GregLogan (04-23-22)
Old 07-31-18, 11:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Pano roofs shatter on many models - it's a risk you take and of course the dealer/manufacturer will always try to deny responsibility. I've had them on other cars for the past six years with no problems but the risk is always there.
Old 07-31-18, 12:31 PM
llcw79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I love my pano roof

I had it parked outside in 120 degree weather and no issues since 2016.
... C'mon... plz think one more time before posting...
Old 07-31-18, 12:36 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you can try to join this class action lawsuit

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...usly-shatters/
Old 07-31-18, 02:42 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by llcw79
... C'mon... plz think one more time before posting...
lol didn't read the post closely enough

But I still stand by the fact that I've had zero issues with the pano moonroof
The following users liked this post:
GregLogan (04-23-22)
Old 12-13-19, 10:22 AM
asd8f2q34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the person to suggest insurance fraud in a clear and criminal manner, and call the feds on him.
Old 12-13-19, 11:45 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It is a known fact that temper glass can explode due to high heat (I learned this after I installed my frameless shower door and enclosure).
It was a guess in the multiple cases that there might be a defect in the glass since only a few got this problem out of many. I can imagine that this could be a similar thing here with the pano.
I agree it is a risk to have the pano. I also agree that the pano is so good to have that I don't want to not have it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ut2sua:
Geekteach (12-20-19), GregLogan (04-23-22)
Old 12-14-19, 12:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
It is a known fact that temper glass can explode due to high heat (I learned this after I installed my frameless shower door and enclosure).
It was a guess in the multiple cases that there might be a defect in the glass since only a few got this problem out of many. I can imagine that this could be a similar thing here with the pano.
I agree it is a risk to have the pano. I also agree that the pano is so good to have that I don't want to not have it.
high heat and other reasons. Try over-tightening a hinge on tempered glass. Poof.
Old 12-18-19, 09:49 AM
hz64
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rains
This is a 2017 RX 350 built in Canada. She happens to work for a pretty good lawyer who, in passing, offered to stand behind her if it became an issue. I was just hoping it wouldn't have to come to that. I also read several of the experiences people have had in this forum with the Lexus Buy Back process. In my research, I, of course, stumbled across the many exploding sunroof stories people have across brands and the refusal to cover the damages under warranty, but I haven't quite found another scenario like ours.
Ask the lawyer to send them a letter listing the evidence. I think Lexus would fold immediately.
Old 12-20-19, 11:44 AM
Geekteach
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just wanted to share the story. I can't imagine the panic, I'm glad the sunshade was closed or the dog in the back seat may have had more problems than what he was going to the vet for. We had high hopes for Lexus. We love most everything about the vehicle. It's just a shame...
Wow... "a shame" is putting it lightly! I had a bad experience with my panoramic sunroof, as well. After about 2 years of ownership, the sunshade failed. I took my RX in to the local Lexus dealership; they ordered new tracks and fixed the problem in 2 days. Ten days later, the sunroof failed to open, so I took the RX back to the dealership. They took the inside of my RX completely apart... right down to the metal. It took 12 business days to repair it. The dealership was awesome. They gave me a loaner RX and contacted me each day to report their progress. I'd hate to think how much it would've cost me out-of-pocket, if I'd had to pay for those repairs. I'm just grateful everything was covered under warranty. It's not the same as your glass issue, of course, but I can really empathize with all you've gone through. Like you, I'm very happy with my RX, otherwise.
Old 04-10-21, 12:37 PM
kristyn22
Driver School Candidate

Default March 2021 Lexus RX350 2020 - Sunroof Exploded

When is Lexus going to take ownership for their exploding sunroofs. I'm in shock at the number of complained online. I've never experienced such an awful problem with a car maker!

This month I was on the highway and I heard a big "Boom" only to look up and find that the entire front section of my panoramic sunroof had completely shattered! At the time of the incident I was driving on a quiet highway with no other cars in sight. Lexus refuses to acknowledge the manufacturing defect and instead sent me their standard verbatin, which doesn't align with what happened to me at all!

The car is 1 year old and leased and after 2 weeks i'm still unable to drive it while lexus has been wasting my time with their warranty department.
Old 04-10-21, 04:39 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by kristyn22
When is Lexus going to take ownership for their exploding sunroofs. I'm in shock at the number of complained online. I've never experienced such an awful problem with a car maker!

This month I was on the highway and I heard a big "Boom" only to look up and find that the entire front section of my panoramic sunroof had completely shattered! At the time of the incident I was driving on a quiet highway with no other cars in sight. Lexus refuses to acknowledge the manufacturing defect and instead sent me their standard verbatin, which doesn't align with what happened to me at all!

The car is 1 year old and leased and after 2 weeks i'm still unable to drive it while lexus has been wasting my time with their warranty department.
This is not only a Lexus problem, but one for ALL manufacturers, you can find MB, BMW, AUDI etc all with the same problem and that's why I was very careful when selecting my package that it did NOT contain the pano roof. It's the twisting of the body via the suspensions that transmits this to the glass which eventually shatters.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cocal:
armandtoe (04-14-21), coolbrazz (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 05:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,409 Posts

The problem is the glass was not tempered properly. I'm guessing here they probably went for less flex but the harder the glass the less it can bend before exploding. Design defect.
Old 04-15-21, 09:34 AM
Ettulexus
Driver School Candidate

Default 2018 NX300H Sunroof shattered

A long-time Toyota driver, my mother decided to make the leap to a Lexus RX350. Sparing no expense, she purchased a fully-optioned RX. Less than a month into driving, she began to notices excessive wind noise (yes, I reviewed this thread) coming from the roof when driving at highway speeds (no, no roof racks, just the standard rails). So, I began to research panoramic moon roofs and confirmed that they are naturally a bit louder than just a standard sun roof. She called the dealer (who is an hour away) and advised of the noise. They told her that it was likely nothing and probably just a product of the panoramic moon roof's nature... despite the fact that she reported a noticeable increase in sound over the month of ownership as if something had changed, rather than the sound always being there. They said as long as she kept the sun shade closed, that should take care of any excessive noise. It didn't. Is the only way to enjoy the panoramic moon roof to gaze at it from afar or perhaps while the car is in park? The dealer noted that they would take a look at her first service interval. She drove it with reluctance and sparingly over 50mph until then. As she grew concerned, I decided to put my decibel reader to the test. Using my own Subaru as a benchmark, the Lexus, even with the excessive wind noise was significantly quieter (which caused me to notice just how loud my Subaru is). I told her that maybe this was part of the reason Lexus equipped 835 watts of Mark Levinson. At her first service, she again expressed the distaste for excessive wind noise as well as a noise that she thought was coming from the rear driver suspension. She explained that the noise was noticeable at highway speeds and asked them to take it for a drive. The report she received stated that they drove it 1-2 miles and noticed nothing in excess of standard parameters. Reluctant, she drove the hour back home with the excessive wind noise in tow. Most of her driving, thankfully, is around town, and she only exceeds 40mph about once a week. Having paid for a luxury SUV with such a glaring issue is unsettling. So, it has been a few months, now, and finally something gave.

Incident
She was on her once a week interstate drive going about 70mph when she heard a noise coming from the roof accompanying the excessive wind noise. And then, suddenly, the excessive wind noise increased to an alarming level. She pulled over to the side of the road, and, upon inspection of her vehicle, found that the panoramic moon roof was completely gone. All that remained was a thin strip of adhesive covered in glass shards. I'm guessing that the adhesive failed.

Immediately, she contacted her dealer and reported the issue. Service told her that she could bring it in the following day for an appointment or there was availability the following week. She expressed that this was not situation that should be handled by a routine service appointment. They redirected her to another representative who was understanding and advised that they would send someone to drop off a loaner and pick up the failure given her busy work schedule and the distance from the dealer. In the meantime, she drove our Infiniti coupe. Within the afternoon, the dealer rep dropped off and picked up the car. By the end of the day, a service technician advised that this was an insurance claim rather than a warranty claim. He said that a rock must have flown up and hit it. She countered and advised that there were no vehicles anywhere near her on the road. His next point was that there was a hail storm the night prior and it was possible that could have caused the issue. She countered and advised that the vehicle is garaged and was not exposed to any hail in the storm. She also noted that there would have been a collection of glass in the sunshade if it was a break. He said he would get back to her. A few days passed and we were advised that a claim was submitted to corporate. The next day, we were advised that corporate was sending someone to take a look.

Corporate response
The following day, we received a call and were advised that corporate would not accept the claim and that this was an insurance claim for glass. Given that Kentucky has a non-deductable glass policy, they think this should be taken care of by an insurance claim. They also provided the estimate for the repair: $4,500. keep in mind, the sunroof itself is intact and the moon roof does not move. It is just a piece of glass that apparently is only held on by an inadequate adhesive. The dealer told her she was welcome to call corporate herself and enter a claim. They advised she was fine to keep the loaner in the meantime. The representative advised that he pleaded her case and was on her side, but they would not relent. She called corporate and made her claim which was just a standard incident report with a representative. The following day another representative called back to confirm the report details. The representative seemed to suggest she should go the easy route and make an insurance claim to take care of the issue. She asked if we had retrieved the piece of glass that had blown off of the roof. I dont think it would have survived the fall myself. She didnt see it anywhere. I'm thinking of trying to go find it on the side of the interstate. So, now... I guess we wait for them to tell us they're not responsible for this.

I just wanted to share the story. I can't imagine the panic, I'm glad the sunshade was closed or the dog in the back seat may have had more problems than what he was going to the vet for. We had high hopes for Lexus. We love most everything about the vehicle. It's just a shame...
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about the issue with mom. We had a similar experience outside Denver CO last week. I was driving on the highway on a Sunday afternoon, clear skies, 55 degrees, only a few cars on the road (no trucks). We were returning from a local dog park and had our dog in the rear compartment. As we drove, we heard a slight whine and then deafening noise. I immediately held firmly onto the steering wheel as I thought we had blown a tire out. Suddenly, glass started raining down on us. Shards of glass were everywhere. My wife screamed. She looked up and saw that the sun roof was totally broken. I pulled into the emergency safety lane with hazards on. I was able to pull the roof panel closed to keep the remaining glass outside. After the car stopped, I was able to look at the sunroof and saw that most of it had shattered and fallen into the roof well. We contacted 911 and they advised us to wait for the state patrol but they were busy. They then told us to pull off the highway safely. We were able to make it home and called Lexus immediately and dropped car off the next morning. They filed a TAS claim with corporate to see if covered under warranty but it was denied. I was contacted by corporate a few days later and the corporate adviser stated that they determined it was " external cause" and not covered based on the dealership evaluation. This was surprising as my service representative was very sympathetic. I was very surprised to learn online how many incidents have occurred including a class action suit in CA alleging that the glass is defective. I am not sure of the exact cause but i'm not sure Lexus knows either. I would have expected some good will from Lexus and there was none. The corporate representative was unfazed and simply told me to file an insurance claim. Quite disappointed with their response. I guess this is the corporate response all the way up the chain. It does rattle my confidence in the brand. Hope this does not lead to a real injury in the near future. I will also report to the NHTSA and Consumer Reports.

Quick Reply: Panoramic moon roof catastrophe