RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: 2018 Now vs 2019 Later
Go ahead with 2018
32.14%
Wait for 2019
67.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Buy 2018 or wait for 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18 | 10:34 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FlexusM
If the '19 has CarPlay, I'm definitely waiting for that one but want to find out before I just pull the trigger on an '18. What are the next big autoshows that a refresh would likely be to show up at, similar to how the NX refresh was introduced last year?
last year NX refresh was announced in Shanghai auto show around April 20.
Nothing happened for RX in this year show, so either lexus don't want to announce or 2019 will be delayed again similar to 2018.
Old 04-29-18 | 05:51 PM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

My dealer confirmed that they expect a redesign for 2019 and were very accommodating with my desire to skip on my custom order and wait for a 2019. They understood why Apple CarPlay was a deal breaker for me. I went in prepared for hard sales techniques and they were very very nice. Looking forward to getting a 2019
Old 05-07-18 | 08:00 PM
Rexorg
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been in contact with my salesperson and he is playing dumb now about the ‘19, yet he told me last October the ‘19 would be a refresh in the fall of ‘18 with updated tech and engine upgrade from the new Avalon and ES.
Old 05-07-18 | 08:59 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I’ve been in contact with my salesperson and he is playing dumb now about the ‘19, yet he told me last October the ‘19 would be a refresh in the fall of ‘18 with updated tech and engine upgrade from the new Avalon and ES.

No offense to any sales people, but their job is to sell, and what they have on the lot primarily, not for you to wait. Lexus/Toyota are masters at not releasing information to the public or their dealers until they're good and ready, and you're likely to hear about the 2019 here, or on the web same day dealer would get any info, maybe even before online.

Issue with it this late without any information on the 2019, is that it was the very end of January for the 2018 RX to come out, when the new one will come is a mystery, it's almost a certainty it will get it's mid cycle refresh and Apple Car Play, and likely a touch pad instead of the other controller is to come. It's remote chance they wouldn't change grill a little bit, tail lights, and those minor interior changes. It wouldn't shock me though if they held off until December or later for 2019, not in September/October as they always did them before 2018's delay for the L version. But, it's anyone's guess, unless you work for Lexus corporate or one of the factories.

Last edited by kellens; 05-07-18 at 09:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kellens:
reposado2 (05-08-18), RR99 (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18 | 01:32 PM
Rexorg
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been around car salespersons (48 years and 47 vehicles) long enough to know they hate to order cars for customers since that does not decrease those hard-to-sell models the dealership has to take on their floor plans from the manufacturers. That said, being coy about what they know does not go over well with me. When I’m ready to buy I don’t want the usual mumbo jumbo about waiting 8 weeks and the pressure to buy something I really don’t want that they have on the lot. The RX makes up almost 70% of Lexus sales, so they have to get it right out of the box. I understand that. I just wish Toyota/Lexus would be more forthcoming about the release dates since new models, or refreshed, have been in the pipeline 3-4 years.
Old 05-11-18 | 07:37 AM
FlexusM
Driver School Candidate

If I decided to wait for the 2019, I'd probably special order. If it's on the normal cycle (in dealers around October), when are dealers able to start accepting special orders typically?
Old 05-11-18 | 08:56 AM
reposado2
Driver

If I decided to wait for the 2019, I'd probably special order. If it's on the normal cycle (in dealers around October), when are dealers able to start accepting special orders typically?
Do they make you pay full MSRP for special orders?
Old 05-11-18 | 12:22 PM
FlexusM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reposado2
Do they make you pay full MSRP for special orders?
I actually didn't ask that, but my assumption is either MSRP or close to it - but I can nix some options I don't want to pay for and still works out better for me.
Old 05-14-18 | 05:50 AM
kellens
Pole Position

They didn't take special orders into the computer system until January for the 2018. The big unknown to the dealers, and us, as only Lexus knows this and hasn't released it...is when the 2019 will come out. Normal fall timeframe, or holding until late January/February again like last year. Not a peep online or at international car shows about the new RX, which isn't typical if it's coming in fall.
Old 05-14-18 | 08:14 AM
FlexusM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kellens
They didn't take special orders into the computer system until January for the 2018. The big unknown to the dealers, and us, as only Lexus knows this and hasn't released it...is when the 2019 will come out. Normal fall timeframe, or holding until late January/February again like last year. Not a peep online or at international car shows about the new RX, which isn't typical if it's coming in fall.
Dealer told me this morning that the ‘19 Rx is expected for Aug/Sept production, which would seem to put it back on normal schedule. Even more interesting to me - they told me that CarPlay will not be on the rx until 2020
Old 05-14-18 | 11:04 AM
reposado2
Driver

they told me that CarPlay will not be on the rx until 2020
If thats true then its the UX or EX for me. But I am suspicious if a dealership would really have that info... even if they did you would think they would be under strict orders to keep it confidential.
Old 05-14-18 | 12:35 PM
FlexusM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reposado2
If thats true then its the UX or EX for me. But I am suspicious if a dealership would really have that info... even if they did you would think they would be under strict orders to keep it confidential.
To be honest I was surprised they even answered the question one way or another - the salesman said he had a contact at Lexus that he would ask and then followed up with me later. Was expecting a total non-answer back. I will say this is the 2nd time I've heard they are targeting August/Sept production from 2 different places. But it would be very strange to either a) not have a mid cycle refresh this year, or b) to have a mid-cycle refresh with or without the Enform 2.0 and NOT have CarPlay.
Old 05-14-18 | 03:34 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Dealer told me this morning that the ‘19 Rx is expected for Aug/Sept production, which would seem to put it back on normal schedule. Even more interesting to me - they told me that CarPlay will not be on the rx until 2020
Total dealer lie. Lexus never gives information to their dealer network before the public, they are very good at secrets, and they have not announced as of today when the 2019 will come out, nor anything about this model's specifications. It's most likely of CarPlay in 2019, as it would be on schedule for mid-cycle refresh. Dealers will say anything to get you buy what's on their lot.
The following users liked this post:
reposado2 (05-15-18)
Old 05-14-18 | 03:43 PM
FlexusM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kellens
Total dealer lie. Lexus never gives information to their dealer network before the public, they are very good at secrets, and they have not announced as of today when the 2019 will come out, nor anything about this model's specifications. It's most likely of CarPlay in 2019, as it would be on schedule for mid-cycle refresh. Dealers will say anything to get you buy what's on their lot.
not saying you are wrong - but this was after a discussion that I’m going to special order - why would it matter to them if I order an 18 or 19?
Old 05-14-18 | 07:56 PM
kellens
Pole Position

not saying you are wrong - but this was after a discussion that I’m going to special order - why would it matter to them if I order an 18 or 19?
Because Lexus isn't taking orders for a 2019. A dealer might say they will, but Lexus hasn't released anything on it and won't even take them in their system. The dealer can only make money on the 2018 right now, and rest assured, they know less than you do about future models.

Quick Reply: Buy 2018 or wait for 2019