RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rattle from rear at low speeds and idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 09:15 AM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle from rear at low speeds and idle

Anyone had an issue with a low sounding rattle coming from what sounds like the underbody part of the RX at very low speeds and idle? It could even sound like a sucking sound like you would hear from a straw. Dealer cannot replicate of course.
Old 05-20-18, 07:05 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by technodis
Anyone had an issue with a low sounding rattle coming from what sounds like the underbody part of the RX at very low speeds and idle? It could even sound like a sucking sound like you would hear from a straw. Dealer cannot replicate of course.
I had something rattle when my wife parked in garage and called me over to check it - it sounded like a heat shield rattle or under-panel, caused by the door closing/slamming and it seemed to have come from the rear part of the car. It surprisingly did not happen again so far, but I do intend to crawl over and check it out. I have not paid attention at idle and low speed, but it hasn't caught my attention for being obvious.

Doe it happen conistently all the time?
Old 05-20-18, 08:12 AM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately it doesn’t happen all the time and has made it difficult to pinpoint and will be even more difficult to convince the dealer there is a problem. My issue does sound like what you described as it did resonate throughout the cabin and when I tried to locate the cause, seemed to come from the back near the gas tank, but under the car.
Old 07-21-18, 08:44 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Rattle sound

I highly encourage ALL current gen RX owners to go ahead and test this out.

I've been encountering the same issue for about a year now. The rattling sound apparently comes from the gas tank, caused by high pressure when the tank is full. It has something to do with the design of the entire filler system. I had my dealership take a look at it for the past 9 months, and they even had the FTS follow up with it. It's an issue that they even had with the Toyota Highlander.

They told me that they cannot resolve the issue, unless they receive a higher number of complaints about the noise, since it would most probably require a redesign (and R & D) of the filler system.

So, if you guys want to reproduce the noise (if it is in fact the same one I've been encountering), then the method that the service manager had told me to do so, was to fill up the gas tank beyond the first click at the gas pump. I actually confirmed this when I had a current gen RX loaner, and filled up the gas tank beyond that first click. Shortly after leaving the fuel station, I had heard the exact same rattling noise on the loaner, that I did on my RX!

I would greatly appreciate if you guys would try this on your RX's to see if you can reproduce the rattling noise. If so, then please let your service department know, so that we can get enough complaints in order for Lexus to raise concern and potentially find a solution to this!
Old 07-22-18, 07:32 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I've been encountering the same issue for about a year now. The rattling sound apparently comes from the gas tank, caused by high pressure when the tank is full. It has something to do with the design of the entire filler system. I had my dealership take a look at it for the past 9 months, and they even had the FTS follow up with it. It's an issue that they even had with the Toyota Highlander.
They told me that they cannot resolve the issue, unless they receive a higher number of complaints about the noise, since it would most probably require a redesign (and R & D) of the filler system.
So, if you guys want to reproduce the noise (if it is in fact the same one I've been encountering), then the method that the service manager had told me to do so, was to fill up the gas tank beyond the first click at the gas pump. I actually confirmed this when I had a current gen RX loaner, and filled up the gas tank beyond that first click. Shortly after leaving the fuel station, I had heard the exact same rattling noise on the loaner, that I did on my RX!
I would greatly appreciate if you guys would try this on your RX's to see if you can reproduce the rattling noise. If so, then please let your service department know, so that we can get enough complaints in order for Lexus to raise concern and potentially find a solution to this!
If I'm understanding you correctly, the rattle only happens when you overfill the gas tank?
The solution seems so simple that I'm probably NOT understanding you correctly!!
Old 07-22-18, 07:40 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If I'm understanding you correctly, the rattle only happens when you overfill the gas tank?
The solution seems so simple that I'm probably NOT understanding you correctly!!
Yes - based on my experience, the noise comes when you overfill the gas tank. In some other instances, I've experienced the noise even when I filled up to the first click at the pump. I only recommended to fill beyond the first click to be certain.

It usually goes away once the level of the fuel dips below 3/4 full. Give it a shot, and see if you actually hear the noise. Just make sure to fill with fuel to the brim, then drive it around for a bit. You should be able to hear it at very low speeds (coming from the driver's side underbody in the rear).

Old 07-22-18, 09:23 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Going beyond the nozzle fuel cutoff risks causing gas to enter the evaporative canister--best not to experiment to find a noise you don't have.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (07-22-18)
Old 07-22-18, 09:30 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rattle is the signature of Lexus, don't complaint and try to fix about it, and I can tell you the dealer can make it even worse by my experience with five Lexus in the past.
dannnn (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20, 07:17 AM
NCRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Knocking Noise From Fuel Tank Area L-SB-0046-18

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53199-9999.pdf

Knocking Noise From Fuel Tank Area L-SB-0046-18
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10153199-9999.pdf (834.0 KB, 178 views)
JasDmw (12-29-20)
Old 08-07-22, 11:20 AM
JFK1966
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9

This exact issue that you described occurred today on my 2022 RX350 after filling an almost empty tank and going beyond the 1st click to top off.
Old 08-08-22, 06:22 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Why anyone would overfill their tank is way beyond me!
ravenuer (08-08-22)