RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What's this line on backup cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 06:12 PM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's this line on backup cam?

I didn't realize this until a friend of mine sat in my 17 RX350 and asked what this blue line in the middle is? I have had the car since January and did not pay attention to anything different thinking it was to show center point. Anyone else seen this?

Old 05-14-18, 09:07 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
I didn't realize this until a friend of mine sat in my 17 RX350 and asked what this blue line in the middle is? I have had the car since January and did not pay attention to anything different thinking it was to show center point. Anyone else seen this?
Yes, center blue line marks the center of the car. Outer blue lines mark the width of the car. The yellow lines mark the estimated course of the car.
Old 05-15-18, 11:18 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

As explained, the blues lines indicate the current course of the vehicle. If you leave the steering at its current position (indicated by the yellow lines) the car follows the blue line course or direction until it is at the same position as the yellow lines. The yellow lines indicates the estimate course or direction of movement of the car. Notice, if you turn the steering, the yellow lines follows indicating the car's direction will now follow the direction of the yellow line and as you continue to back up notice the blue lines move in the direction of the yellow line until they are in the same position.
Old 05-15-18, 11:45 AM
Googs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
As explained, the blues lines indicate the current course of the vehicle. If you leave the steering at its current position (indicated by the yellow lines) the car follows the blue line course or direction until it is at the same position as the yellow lines. The yellow lines indicates the estimate course or direction of movement of the car. Notice, if you turn the steering, the yellow lines follows indicating the car's direction will now follow the direction of the yellow line and as you continue to back up notice the blue lines move in the direction of the yellow line until they are in the same position.
I am talking about the little blue crooked line in the middle of the screen not the overlapping with blue and yellow that shows the directions. This little line never moves or changes directions based on steering.
Old 05-15-18, 11:47 AM
Googs
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexnewbi

Yes, center blue line marks the center of the car. Outer blue lines mark the width of the car. The yellow lines mark the estimated course of the car.
Mine looks crooked at the bottom.
Old 05-15-18, 06:02 PM
nyc1dxo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that same crooked line. It’s the center of the car. It looks real cheap.
Old 05-16-18, 01:21 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Mine looks crooked at the bottom.
Just the centre of the car and mine has the crooked bit at the bottom too, exactly like yours. It's crooked because of the way the display is showing /drawing the image, if you look at the other lines as they move they are jagged also, not enough pixels on the display to show a smoother line.
Old 05-17-18, 07:30 PM
Googs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Just the centre of the car and mine has the crooked bit at the bottom too, exactly like yours. It's crooked because of the way the display is showing /drawing the image, if you look at the other lines as they move they are jagged also, not enough pixels on the display to show a smoother line.
Yeah, just makes it look cheap for a $50k car
Old 05-17-18, 09:09 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, just makes it look cheap for a $50k car
Typically, the processors in these systems have a graphics overlay peripheral that uses very low resolution. Most of the semiconductor area is dedicated to the stitching and warping of images. Thus, these lines are drawn at low resolution even when the LCD supports much higher resolution.

You would think they can afford to pay $5-10 more on the processor of a $50k car and get one that has higher resolution graphics overlay....