RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Windshield replacement- do I need calibration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 11:51 PM
kss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield replacement- do I need calibration?

I got hit by a pretty big rock from a truck in my 2017 RX350 I just bought at the end of January. Anyway, I need to get a new windshield and both of the places I went for estimates said that I need a OEM windshield since there is no alternative available. It was back-ordered two months and I’m finally getting the windshield in now. I was told by both places I got a quote from that i would have to get a recalibration done by Lexus because of the cameras and that I need to get it done ASAP after the wiendshild is replaced. However, when I contacted my dealer, first they weren’t sure and than one of the service people said that there is no recalibration required. Both of the glass shops are adamant that there is. I’m getting He work done through insurance, so I need to know before hand, so I’d appreciate any feedback from anyone whose had to get their windshield replaced. My model is a 2017 rx350 F sport 3.
Old 07-03-18, 01:09 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, you do need to get calibration done by Lexus.
Old 07-03-18, 06:50 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Well, I guess you could always drive it with the new windshield and see how everything works.
Old 07-03-18, 07:10 AM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a forward recognition camera, it is recommended that the system be recalibrated.

When replacing the windshield glass of a vehicle equipped with a forward recognition camera, make sure to use a Lexus genuine part. If a non-Lexus genuine part is used, the forward recognition camera may not be able to be installed due to a missing bracket. Also, the LKA/LDA system, forward recognition camera system, dynamic radar cruise control system, pre-collision system or automatic high beam system may not operate properly due to a difference in the transmissivity or black ceramic border.
Old 07-03-18, 07:45 AM
fljones3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kss
I got hit by a pretty big rock from a truck in my 2017 RX350 I just bought at the end of January. Anyway, I need to get a new windshield and both of the places I went for estimates said that I need a OEM windshield since there is no alternative available. It was back-ordered two months and I’m finally getting the windshield in now. I was told by both places I got a quote from that i would have to get a recalibration done by Lexus because of the cameras and that I need to get it done ASAP after the wiendshild is replaced. However, when I contacted my dealer, first they weren’t sure and than one of the service people said that there is no recalibration required. Both of the glass shops are adamant that there is. I’m getting He work done through insurance, so I need to know before hand, so I’d appreciate any feedback from anyone whose had to get their windshield replaced. My model is a 2017 rx350 F sport 3.
Yes, you have to have it recalibrated. Surprised that the windshield service did not handle all that themselves. I got an OEM windshield in 2 days a couple of months ago.
Old 07-03-18, 08:34 AM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Most windshield glass companies (not all) don't have the required the required software to re-calibrate said systems. We have several glass companies that rely on us to re-calibrate after they replace windshields.
Old 07-03-18, 08:42 AM
fljones3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLITT1
Most windshield glass companies (not all) don't have the required the required software to re-calibrate said systems. We have several glass companies that rely on us to re-calibrate after they replace windshields.
I am sorry I did not write clearly. The windshield company put the windshield on. Lexus dealership did the recalibration. In my case, the windshield company was the one the Lexus dealership uses so he was able to replace the windshield at the dealership; then, they recalibrated it.
Old 07-03-18, 09:28 AM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Old 07-03-18, 01:37 PM
kss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your reply. I had asked the service rep theee times if she was sure and it didn’t give me a lot of confidence the way she replied. It’s funny how a lot of the sales and service reps seem to know less about the car they sell than the consumer. I went through the same issues when I was doing my test drives. Bith glass companies said the software is to new for them to have, along with then OEM windshield and were adamant that a recalibration has to be done. I will contact the dealer again!
Old 07-04-18, 12:49 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kss
Thanks everyone for your reply. I had asked the service rep theee times if she was sure and it didn’t give me a lot of confidence the way she replied. It’s funny how a lot of the sales and service reps seem to know less about the car they sell than the consumer. I went through the same issues when I was doing my test drives. Bith glass companies said the software is to new for them to have, along with then OEM windshield and were adamant that a recalibration has to be done. I will contact the dealer again!
Service people should know but I wouldn't trust/expect sales people to know. They are all about sales and don't study all the features of their models - they could be selling Nissan's one day, Honda's next month and Lexus next year.