RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

BRAKE! .. for shopping cart at 1mph pulling into parking spot :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 10:10 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking BRAKE! .. for shopping cart at 1mph pulling into parking spot :)

Hi all! Purchased my RX 350 new in 2017 now almost 11,000 miles. Absolutely in love with this car.

To my question... So today was pulling into a parking spot at local Whole Foods and was going less than 1 mile an hour. I saw a shopping cart in front of me long before and was prepared to stop anyway but I guess I was a little slow on the pedal and the Lexus park assist was a little faster than me so the car showed BRAKE! with small red bar on the left Lexus park assist screen and pedal was pressed for me all the way to floor and car stopped fully automatically. I was taken back a bit.

for some reason I thought this functionality / operation was not on if the car is moving very very slow but I guess not? In any case I think that’s awesome And prevents all kinds of tiny bumps in the parking lot. So to Lexus RX owners I say go ahead and try to love tap those shopping carts, you won’t do it! 👍🙏🤣
Old 07-04-18, 06:50 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird
Hi all! Purchased my RX 350 new in 2017 now almost 11,000 miles. Absolutely in love with this car.

To my question... So today was pulling into a parking spot at local Whole Foods and was going less than 1 mile an hour. I saw a shopping cart in front of me long before and was prepared to stop anyway but I guess I was a little slow on the pedal and the Lexus park assist was a little faster than me so the car showed BRAKE! with small red bar on the left Lexus park assist screen and pedal was pressed for me all the way to floor and car stopped fully automatically. I was taken back a bit.
for some reason I thought this functionality / operation was not on if the car is moving very very slow but I guess not? In any case I think that’s awesome And prevents all kinds of tiny bumps in the parking lot. So to Lexus RX owners I say go ahead and try to love tap those shopping carts, you won’t do it! 👍🙏🤣
I've had this happen to me while pulling into the garage. It's tight, so I have a 2x4 that I slowly roll up to. I'm saying slowly, because if I go even slightly faster, it'll stop by itself. If you keep your foot on the brake and let it roll ever so slightly, it'll be ok.
Old 07-04-18, 10:18 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I've experience both forward and when going in reverse. Yup, it slams the brakes and yes it's almost like be jerked from your seat. But then it was all for safety.
Old 07-04-18, 11:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I've also seen it flash the red brake and NOT apply the brakes - it must be smart enough to recognize false alarms within milliseconds.
Old 07-04-18, 06:08 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've also seen it flash the red brake and NOT apply the brakes - it must be smart enough to recognize false alarms within milliseconds.
It depends on the closing speed to the object, slower speeds activates the warning "Brake" but faster speeds or a more imminent impact will have the brakes engage. Never had the brakes come on only the warning - as a research project Mike you could try it out to see if it does work.
Old 07-04-18, 07:15 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I've experience both forward and when going in reverse. Yup, it slams the brakes and yes it's almost like be jerked from your seat. But then it was all for safety.
Multiple times, when backing out of a parking spot and the RCTA is triggered due to a vehicle going by, the ICS kicks in a full 2-3 seconds AFTER the car has passed. Quite startling and very annoying.
Old 07-05-18, 07:28 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Pre-collision system only works when the speed is 7 mph or above. And it won't work in reverse. In OP's case, the braking was triggered by park assist.
The following users liked this post:
Rarebird (07-05-18)
Old 07-05-18, 08:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
It depends on the closing speed to the object, slower speeds activates the warning "Brake" but faster speeds or a more imminent impact will have the brakes engage. Never had the brakes come on only the warning - as a research project Mike you could try it out to see if it does work.
I was definitely going pretty slow when this happened on the street I live on which has plenty of children out playing so always crawling when I'm heading down this way.
Old 07-05-18, 08:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by guxu
Pre-collision system only works when the speed is 7 mph or above. And it won't work in reverse. In OP's case, the braking was triggered by park assist.
Good point - it's two systems I guess - Pre collision and then RCTA which works in reverse.
Old 07-05-18, 10:40 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
thanks! Didn’t know Lexus park assist also activated auto-braking, that point wasn’t covered by salesman.
Old 07-05-18, 10:54 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This happened to me over the weekend. great safety feature I'm glad we have in our 4th gen RX's.
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

There's also Intelligent Clearance Sonar.
Old 08-23-18, 06:27 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Park assist

Has anyone ever hit anything while parking with the parking assist engaged? If so why didn't the brake engage?
Old 08-24-18, 06:05 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
Has anyone ever hit anything while parking with the parking assist engaged? If so why didn't the brake engage?
Well, so far no one seems to have hit anything...........
Not sure if this is a feature that can be turned off, so if it didn't work, maybe it's off?
Old 08-24-18, 11:42 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No I haven't hit anything I'm just curious if it has ever failed anyone?

Quick Reply: BRAKE! .. for shopping cart at 1mph pulling into parking spot :)